Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Compass Yellow
Occupation
Retired RN
Clubs

I got to (had to) try out my AutoSocks for the first time coming over Santiam Pass on Saturday, towing a 20ft trailer. A few folks have asked about it so I figured I'd share a very brief report.

For those who aren't aware, Rivian recommends against using chains or cables on the 20" wheels due to clearance, so the only option is AutoSocks. They are nylon/fiber wheel wrappings that work similar to (arguably better than) chains in ice and snow, and satisfy DOT requirements for chaining up when needed.

Long story short, they worked out great in both snow and ice and seemed to hold up well over about 15-20 miles over the summit (I kept it below 30 mph). They're eerily like driving on velcro once they're mounted - lots of traction even compared to the Blizzak LT tires I'm already running.

Because I'm planning to take the trailer to lots of ski areas and there's a blizzard incoming, I've got another pair on order for the trailer since it technically needs its own.

1704739827188.png

The socks themselves are super easy to work with, you just slip the sock over the top of the wheels and as far down the sides you can, pull the truck forward a half rotation, and repeat for (what was) the bottom. I raised the suspension all the way to make it easier to get my hands in there but it really couldn’t be easier - no straps/links/clips, just an elastic like a fitted sheet. 3-5 minutes tops and it was my first time.

Removing them is almost harder just because they really cling to the wheels once they get cold and waterlogged, and they’re a bit of a mess to shake out and dry overnight afterwards, but it beats repacking chains.

As for the drive itself, the R1T was an absolute dream taking my Basecamp 20X over the pass. I left a HipCamp in Sublimity, OR around noon heading for Sisters. Once we saw the chain requirement and increasing snow in the forecast, we decided to charge an extra 10-20% at Detroit Lake (50kw charger there) just in case we got stuck and had to spend the night, but we would have been fine without it.

The trip computer was bang-on for the range (after about 400 miles towing this trailer so far to calibrate), and we arrived with pretty much exactly the forecasted range even after climbing through the snow. Overall I'm average 1.1 mi/kWh including lots of 65+ mph highway time and the mountain passes.

The trailer tracks great, the brake controller is super well integrated, and I never had a single moment of concern in the snow. Naturally I'd love a bit more range but beyond that, the R1T really slays snow and is an effortless tow vehicle.
Curious what drive mode you used while using socks. Thanks.
Sponsored

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

Yeah all of us have this kind of accessories. What type compact spare do you have?
As noted, to be installed next month. It's just the compact spare in the gear shop.

Plan on picking up a full size spare one day for off road activities.

OP
OP
kylealden

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
Curious what drive mode you used while using socks. Thanks.
I used snow mode primarily for the reduced regen. Really glad they now allow it to be combined with towing.

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Debating whether I should buy another pair or since these probably won't get used unless something unforeseen happens, if I can get by on with just 2 on rear.
FWIW I was similarly surprised that it was only a pair, and only found out once I needed them. A pair of them gave me zero slipping on surfaces that I failed to summit and slide sideways off of last weekend, so that's pretty great. And, I just bought a second pair in case that's not true in the future.

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

FWIW I was similarly surprised that it was only a pair, and only found out once I needed them. A pair of them gave me zero slipping on surfaces that I failed to summit and slide sideways off of last weekend, so that's pretty great. And, I just bought a second pair in case that's not true in the future.
Good to know, but I bought a second pair so I'd have a full set just in case.
Sponsored