OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Quick follow up on this post. I received the Canvasback liner on Friday and installed it over the weekend. Here are some quick takeaways...

Customer Service: The customer service from Canvasback has been amazing, and I echo what some others have said about how great this company is to work with. Super responsive and helpful with all my questions. I've never owned their product before so didn't really know what to expect but I'm really pleased with their customer service.

Quality: Once you get them installed these pieces have a really great fit for the R1S and you can tell they are made of durable material that will likely stand up to a lot of abuse.

Fit/Look: I was a little leery about installing these as I like the look of the R1S interior but I would say that it actually looks better post installation than it did pre, and the fit of the pieces is really good, even though I'm definitely not the last word on installing.

Installation: I'd recommend that you wait until they post instructions before doing yours. As one of the first to get these (because I really needed them before we could put the dog in the back) there weren't really any instructions available yet so it was a bit of trial and error on my part. That's not ideal as it involves peeling the adhesive back which likely made it a bit less sticky over it's life. No big deal (I just ordered more of the sticky velcro tape so I have it if I ever need it) and it seems to be perfectly fine. Also the good news is that I can confirm there is no residue etc. left over if you want to remove these down the road. As this has been custom made for the R1S it isn't like just throwing down a rubber cargo mat and there is some thinking involved. It's worth it in the end however because it has been thoughtfully designed to allow access to all of the existing parts in the cargo area (compressor, sub-floor cargo and so on).

What pieces to get: Up to you but for a dog for great coverage I ordered three of their products initially.

Cargo Liner: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-liner.html
Bumper Flap: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-bumper-flap.html
Side Pieces: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-side-pieces.html

After the fact I realized I wanted to cover the leather armrests in the rear so I should have selected 'yes' when ordering the side pieces above and answering the question 'would you like to cover the third row arm rests'. I ordered these separately today.

Color/Stitching: I have a black mountain interior so I went with black as the main color. Because I'm a moron and I was in a hurry I didn't notice that you had to explicitly specify stitching color. I think the yellow stitching that @bkswede got looks really nice and complements the launch theme. Sadly I didn't get it but my last two pieces will have that stitching. I'll post photos when it's all done (waiting for those last to pictures)

Overall super happy and just what I needed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Quick update: I plan to drop off my R1S with Canvasback tomorrow for a couple of days. Will pass along any info as I get it.

First off - thank you for helping further the market with good products!! Kudos.

That being said these look great for covering the carpeted areas, but does anyone know if Canvas back or anyone else will be doing a full liner (think floor box with sides) similar to this one(ie no seams). I don't want to order generic because A) it probably won't fit right and B) most generic products aren't good quality.

Also, I'd like to have something that was specific to the R1S that you could say order as a few options such as 1) Full length everything folded down, 2) 3rd row folded (so mid length) 3) all seats up and only covers the very back cargo. I'd be going with the option 2 since I never wanted the 3rd row to begin with (thanks Rivian).

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners 1664911543170

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Quick follow up on this post. I received the Canvasback liner on Friday and installed it over the weekend. Here are some quick takeaways...

Customer Service: The customer service from Canvasback has been amazing, and I echo what some others have said about how great this company is to work with. Super responsive and helpful with all my questions. I've never owned their product before so didn't really know what to expect but I'm really pleased with their customer service.

Quality: Once you get them installed these pieces have a really great fit for the R1S and you can tell they are made of durable material that will likely stand up to a lot of abuse.

Fit/Look: I was a little leery about installing these as I like the look of the R1S interior but I would say that it actually looks better post installation than it did pre, and the fit of the pieces is really good, even though I'm definitely not the last word on installing.

Installation: I'd recommend that you wait until they post instructions before doing yours. As one of the first to get these (because I really needed them before we could put the dog in the back) there weren't really any instructions available yet so it was a bit of trial and error on my part. That's not ideal as it involves peeling the adhesive back which likely made it a bit less sticky over it's life. No big deal (I just ordered more of the sticky velcro tape so I have it if I ever need it) and it seems to be perfectly fine. Also the good news is that I can confirm there is no residue etc. left over if you want to remove these down the road. As this has been custom made for the R1S it isn't like just throwing down a rubber cargo mat and there is some thinking involved. It's worth it in the end however because it has been thoughtfully designed to allow access to all of the existing parts in the cargo area (compressor, sub-floor cargo and so on).

What pieces to get: Up to you but for a dog for great coverage I ordered three of their products initially.

After the fact I realized I wanted to cover the leather armrests in the rear so I should have selected 'yes' when ordering the side pieces above and answering the question 'would you like to cover the third row arm rests'. I ordered these separately today.

Color/Stitching: I have a black mountain interior so I went with black as the main color. Because I'm a moron and I was in a hurry I didn't notice that you had to explicitly specify stitching color. I think the yellow stitching that @bkswede got looks really nice and complements the launch theme. Sadly I didn't get it but my last two pieces will have that stitching. I'll post photos when it's all done (waiting for those last to pictures)

Overall super happy and just what I needed.
This is encouraging feedback and quick turn around on what sounds like a durable solution. It sounds ideal for dog owners.

I’m wondering how it will hold up for other uses: camp site supplies, hardware store runs, bags of mulch, winter boots, skis, snowshoes, Anything that might bring dirt/mud into the back. I’m thinking it’s better to hold out for a rubberized cargo mat solution.

It’s too bad Rivian isn’t offering any solutions for protecting the rear cargo. Not even a carpeted mat.

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
This is encouraging feedback and quick turn around on what sounds like a durable solution. It sounds ideal for dog owners.

I’m wondering how it will hold up for other uses: camp site supplies, hardware store runs, bags of mulch, winter boots, skis, snowshoes, Anything that might bring dirt/mud into the back. I’m thinking it’s better to hold out for a rubberized cargo mat solution.

It’s too bad Rivian isn’t offering any solutions for protecting the rear cargo. Not even a carpeted mat.
Hi Pappa,

I think on this one topic I might be able to offer an informed opinion. :) In my Acura MDX I had a rubber floormat that covered the entire cargo area. The advantage of this was that it was a great 'weatherguard' for all sorts of different loads, and the disadvantage of course was that anything underneath it was inaccessible (in the Acura this wasn't a huge deal as there wasn't a ton going on in that area).

The Canvasback is a different beast. It's been custom designed at each seam for the R1S to preserve all of the functionality in the cargo area while providing maximum protection. The more I use it the smarter I see their designers are and why they needed an actual vehicle in house for a few days to come up with a pattern. Everything that is in the cargo area (sub-floor storage, latches for child seats, air compressor, cup holders, cargo rails and so on) still functions and is 100% accessible with the cargo liners fully intact and installed correctly. I had never used their product before this but I'm a believer now (they look pretty damn good too)

In terms of durability it feels like the material they use could stop a small caliber bullet (not joking) so I don't think that is going to be an issue.

I think the only situation where I would personally go back to the hard rubber mat is where I was constantly hauling fine particulate (like say fine mulch out of a bag) in the back of my vehicle. Due to the fact that the Canvasback is 'cut' in such a way to preserve functionality finer particles can get through some of the gaps that have been intentionally left (for the cargo rails for example) and so you'd have to vacuum that up.

So net net I think if you are looking for 'total lockdown with full waterproofing over the cargo floor' at the expense of easy access of anything under the mat, then a rubber mat is your best bet, but if you are looking for strong, durable coverage while preserving all functionality these seem like a super strong option.

My 2 cents!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Thanks for the write-up! I'm still a good while away from getting my R1S, but I have been enjoying everyone's tips and product recommendations. As someone who isn't likely to ever use the 3rd row, I'm not sure if the Canvasback solution is the right one for me, but this type of write-up is really helpful.

One question: how does the bumper flap work when you close the tail and lift gates? Do you just close the tailgate and then flip the flap over into the back before closing the lift gate? Or do you need to remove it completely -- basically just attaching it when you absolutely need it?

EDIT: One more general question about Canvasback for anybody who has their product in a Rivian or any vehicle: I assume the material is a ballistic nylon of some variant. Some of those can be very slick, which could cause dogs to slide a little or groceries, etc. to slide around. What are your experiences like with that?

Last edited:

Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Hi Pappa,

I think on this one topic I might be able to offer an informed opinion. :) In my Acura MDX I had a rubber floormat that covered the entire cargo area. The advantage of this was that it was a great 'weatherguard' for all sorts of different loads, and the disadvantage of course was that anything underneath it was inaccessible (in the Acura this wasn't a huge deal as there wasn't a ton going on in that area).

The Canvasback is a different beast. It's been custom designed at each seam for the R1S to preserve all of the functionality in the cargo area while providing maximum protection. The more I use it the smarter I see their designers are and why they needed an actual vehicle in house for a few days to come up with a pattern. Everything that is in the cargo area (sub-floor storage, latches for child seats, air compressor, cup holders, cargo rails and so on) still functions and is 100% accessible with the cargo liners fully intact and installed correctly. I had never used their product before this but I'm a believer now (they look pretty damn good too)

In terms of durability it feels like the material they use could stop a small caliber bullet (not joking) so I don't think that is going to be an issue.

I think the only situation where I would personally go back to the hard rubber mat is where I was constantly hauling fine particulate (like say fine mulch out of a bag) in the back of my vehicle. Due to the fact that the Canvasback is 'cut' in such a way to preserve functionality finer particles can get through some of the gaps that have been intentionally left (for the cargo rails for example) and so you'd have to vacuum that up.

So net net I think if you are looking for 'total lockdown with full waterproofing over the cargo floor' at the expense of easy access of anything under the mat, then a rubber mat is your best bet, but if you are looking for strong, durable coverage while preserving all functionality these seem like a super strong option.

My 2 cents!
Awesome, thanks RG. I've never owned a canvasback, but it seems like a general purpose solution that's well priced. I'm not sure how easily removable it is (or necessary) for cleaning/vacuuming around. Maybe it just velcro's on/off. I suspect my OCD will get the better of me when the inevitable debris gets in between the panels.

Last edited:

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Received my canvasback frunk liners today: black with canyon red stitch for wife and black with limestone stitch for friend.

No extra charge for the snacks.

Now all we are missing is our frunks....
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners Canvasbackfront
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners Canvasback
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners Redstitch
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners Graystitch
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners Canvasbackback

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Received my canvasback frunk liners today: black with canyon red stitch for wife and black with limestone stitch for friend.

Canvasbackfront.jpg
Canvasback.jpg
Redstitch.jpg
Graystitch.jpg
Canvasbackback.jpg
Looks great. Is the "Limestone" stitching the gray option on their stitching submenu?

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S

Canvasbackfront.jpg
Canvasback.jpg
Redstitch.jpg
Graystitch.jpg
Canvasbackback.jpg
That looks awesome. I missed out on the accent stitching because I wasn't paying attention when placing my order. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Awesome, thanks RG. I've never owned a canvasback, but it seems like a general purpose solution that's well priced. I'm not sure how easily removable it is (or necessary) for cleaning/vacuuming around. Maybe it just velcro's on/off. I suspect my OCD will get the better of me when the inevitable debris get's in between the panels.
Ya the 'panels' peel off the velcro strips fairly easily (provided that you installed it right) if you need to take em out, hose em down etc. I hear you on the OCD, as I'm guilty of that sort of thing myself. ;)

OP
OP
rivianguy

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Thanks for the write-up! I'm still a good while away from getting my R1S, but I have been enjoying everyone's tips and product recommendations. As someone who isn't likely to ever use the 3rd row, I'm not sure if the Canvasback solution is the right one for me, but this type of write-up is really helpful.

One question: how does the bumper flap work when you close the tail and lift gates? Do you just close the tailgate and then flip the flap over into the back before closing the lift gate? Or do you need to remove it completely -- basically just attaching it when you absolutely need it?

EDIT: One more general question about Canvasback for anybody who has their product in a Rivian or any vehicle: I assume the material is a ballistic nylon of some variant. Some of those can be very slick, which could cause dogs to slide a little or groceries, etc. to slide around. What are your experiences like with that?
The bumper flap basically folds out to protect your bumper when you are loading stuff, dogs jumping in and so on. It's saved my liftgate a few times already when my 100 lb lab has decided he didn't want to wait for the liftgate to open before jumping out (with just the upper window portion open) Then it just kind of folds upon itself when you close the lift gate again. Photos below (even included a recent trip to Home Depot for Pappa's OCD) ;)

In terms of the slipperyness I would say that a rubber mat would be more 'tacky' but my lab doesn't seem to have any issues on this surface. Of course with 835 hp I suspect you could make super glue flooring insufficient if you forgot the dog was in the back. :)

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners 20221018_161145
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners 20221018_161218

Last edited:

MD Waits

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover. Escalade.
Thanks for the recommendation! I was skeptical but the canvasback liners went In Perfectly. Super snug fit. Put them to work right away.

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners FB5917E5-27C4-411C-8A21-FFBE79E42101

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners 40911ED9-E83D-4C66-9E15-FE25BEB19247

BG_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS
I see this post is now 6+ months old - is this still considered one of the better options for R1S pet owners?
Sponsored