Attention all R1S Dog Owners

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
I see this post is now 6+ months old - is this still considered one of the better options for R1S pet owners?
This is what I ordered; should be here in Friday along with my R1S! :)
Sponsored

Mahawkma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Semi random question,

Do any of you secure your dogs? In the Tesla, we use leashes that connect to the seatbelt jacks. I found some on Amazon that look like they would snap onto the cargo ā€œthingsā€ that are in the R1S. Curious on any real life solutions. Also, any comparisons between this liner and 4knines offering?

Hawk

edit: Mispelling; added 4knines

Last edited:

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Quick follow up on this post. I received the Canvasback liner on Friday and installed it over the weekend. Here are some quick takeaways...

Customer Service: The customer service from Canvasback has been amazing, and I echo what some others have said about how great this company is to work with. Super responsive and helpful with all my questions. I've never owned their product before so didn't really know what to expect but I'm really pleased with their customer service.

Quality: Once you get them installed these pieces have a really great fit for the R1S and you can tell they are made of durable material that will likely stand up to a lot of abuse.

Fit/Look: I was a little leery about installing these as I like the look of the R1S interior but I would say that it actually looks better post installation than it did pre, and the fit of the pieces is really good, even though I'm definitely not the last word on installing.

Installation: I'd recommend that you wait until they post instructions before doing yours. As one of the first to get these (because I really needed them before we could put the dog in the back) there weren't really any instructions available yet so it was a bit of trial and error on my part. That's not ideal as it involves peeling the adhesive back which likely made it a bit less sticky over it's life. No big deal (I just ordered more of the sticky velcro tape so I have it if I ever need it) and it seems to be perfectly fine. Also the good news is that I can confirm there is no residue etc. left over if you want to remove these down the road. As this has been custom made for the R1S it isn't like just throwing down a rubber cargo mat and there is some thinking involved. It's worth it in the end however because it has been thoughtfully designed to allow access to all of the existing parts in the cargo area (compressor, sub-floor cargo and so on).

What pieces to get: Up to you but for a dog for great coverage I ordered three of their products initially.

Cargo Liner: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-liner.html
Bumper Flap: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-bumper-flap.html
Side Pieces: https://www.canvasback.com/rivian-r1s-cargo-side-pieces.html

After the fact I realized I wanted to cover the leather armrests in the rear so I should have selected 'yes' when ordering the side pieces above and answering the question 'would you like to cover the third row arm rests'. I ordered these separately today.

Color/Stitching: I have a black mountain interior so I went with black as the main color. Because I'm a moron and I was in a hurry I didn't notice that you had to explicitly specify stitching color. I think the yellow stitching that @bkswede got looks really nice and complements the launch theme. Sadly I didn't get it but my last two pieces will have that stitching. I'll post photos when it's all done (waiting for those last to pictures)

Overall super happy and just what I needed.
I ordered their two-piece Cargo Cover and their two tailgate piece set in black fabric with yellow accent stitching. Now, weā€™ll see if the Canvasback stuff arrives before my R1S gets delivered.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Semi random question,

Do any of you secure your dogs? In the Tesla, we use leashes that connect to the seatbelt jacks. I found some on Amazon that look like they would snap onto the cargo ā€œthingsā€ that are in the R1S. Curious on any real life solutions. Also, any comparisons between this liner and 4knines offering?

Hawk

edit: Mispelling; added 4knines
We donā€™t secure our dogs but really shouldā€¦ in the event a a car crash, they would become projectiles šŸ˜¢.

The canvasback stuff is really nice; fit and finish is custom to the vehicle down to every nook and cranny. The 4knines cargo liner appears to have three generic sizes and uses clips, but looks like it ā€œtubsā€ the rear cargo area well. Iā€™m getting the canvasback cargo cover after having installed the liner to mitigate the gap between the 2nd row base and folded down 3rd row seat. The 4knines also doesnā€™t appear to allow you to use the 3rd row seats without removing the liner.

BG_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac CTS
We donā€™t secure our dogs but really shouldā€¦ in the event a a car crash, they would become projectiles šŸ˜¢.

The canvasback stuff is really nice; fit and finish is custom to the vehicle down to every nook and cranny. The 4knines cargo liner appears to have three generic sizes and uses clips, but looks like it ā€œtubsā€ the rear cargo area well. Iā€™m getting the canvasback cargo cover after having installed the liner to mitigate the gap between the 2nd row base and folded down 3rd row seat. The 4knines also doesnā€™t appear to allow you to use the 3rd row seats without removing the liner.
4knines looks like a winner if just looking for a quick solution when needing to solve for trips with the dogs.

Sponsored

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Hey all, here is my rear cargo cover solution for the R1S. I wanted something with good protection that covered more areas than just the carpet (like the canvas back option) I also wanted it easily removable for cleaning and flexibility for moving seats around. Hereā€™s what I came up with.
  1. Got this cargo cover only $30 bucks
  2. Got these suction cup hooks to hold the straps to protect 3rd row arm rest area, $15 bucks
  3. I installed the hooks on the rear glass above the 3rd row arm rests
  4. Clipped the straps on the 2rd row headrests
  5. Secured the straps to the suction cup hooks
  6. Used the straps at the rear of the cover to secure to the rear cargo tie downs
  7. It is about 3ā€ short, but I just put a beach towel in that area that I can pull out when the tailgate is down, or to wipe off

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_1501

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_1505

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_1504

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_1503

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_1499

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For anyone considering a crate, here's my dog setup. Underneath: Orvis cargo protector. On top: Mim Variocage Double XXL.

To ensure a level surface for the crate, I put the floor panel in the lower/flat position and then fashioned a piece of styrofoam to level things out and support the crate. That is hidden by the cargo cover. Placing the floor panel in the upper/ramped position created too much of a break-over angle for the crate to sit flat. It might be flat enough for car camping but not flat enough for the crate.

I love the crate. This size is pretty much a perfect fit with the 3rd row folded. If your dog(s) require(s) a taller crate, you'd have to remove the 3rd row seat to gain a few extra inches in height. I didn't need to do that so can't comment on a crate size for that scenario. It was mostly rattle free from the start and, with a little felt between the sliding roof panels (along the sides), is now dead silent. I also have great rear visibility through the crate and the dog gets the full benefit of the 3rd row air vents, both of which were key requirements for me. Still have easy access to the air compressor and outlets but did move the air hose into the frunk. Spare tire will be a PITA to get in/out but life is full of compromises. Not a cheap setup but I'm extremely happy with it.. and so is the dog, especially after adding the custom crate pad not shown in this picture (pictured is a carpeted door mat with rubber backing that I found at Home Depot, you will need something offering some friction to keep the dog from sliding around while driving).

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners PXL_20230514_160428772

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Hey all, just wanted to chime in with the Canvasback R1S Cargo Cover. This is the one-piece model. It is actually two pieces connected with velcro so that you can use the 3rd row, if needed. I got black with no contrast stitching because I'm poor. I also got the R1S Bumper Flap (with 24" length) to cover the tailgate. Canvasback was super nice on the phone and in emails and included a velcro strip at the bottom (by the tailgate) to allow the Bumper Flap to attach to the Cargo Cover. Seems like exactly what I wanted and is just in time for our camping trip this weekend.
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_3739

Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners IMG_3741

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
We solved this by my wife saying sheā€™s going to charge a cleaning fee if my dog rides in ā€œherā€ R1S so Iā€™m now modding the dogged-out GX470 for over landing.

72B17199-C9B2-43EB-8DD6-38DEFAB99E41.jpeg
We might be related.

`
Rivian R1T R1S Attention all R1S Dog Owners tempImagehM2TPJ

Last edited:

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
We love our canvas back rear end setup. We do not crate our dog but no issues other than him drooling between the kids in the second row (heā€™s a large Bernese Mountain Dog)

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Hey all, just wanted to chime in with the Canvasback R1S Cargo Cover. This is the one-piece model. It is actually two pieces connected with velcro so that you can use the 3rd row, if needed. I got black with no contrast stitching because I'm poor. I also got the R1S Bumper Flap (with 24" length) to cover the tailgate. Canvasback was super nice on the phone and in emails and included a velcro strip at the bottom (by the tailgate) to allow the Bumper Flap to attach to the Cargo Cover. Seems like exactly what I wanted and is just in time for our camping trip this weekend.
IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg
oh, I like this option to have the bumper flap attach to the "cargo cover". I assume you asked them for the loop strip to be installed before shipping? I haven't gotten any status updates on my order, so I might call on Monday to see if they can add this to it.

Do you think an 18" or 20" bumper flap provide full coverage of the open tailgate? I would want as short as possible but that still completely protects the top/back of the tailgate when open. Thanks!

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

oh, I like this option to have the bumper flap attach to the "cargo cover". I assume you asked them for the loop strip to be installed before shipping? I haven't gotten any status updates on my order, so I might call on Monday to see if they can add this to it.

Do you think an 18" or 20" bumper flap provide full coverage of the open tailgate? I would want as short as possible but that still completely protects the top/back of the tailgate when open. Thanks!
So, I just checked. With my current settings, the flap hangs 9.5ā€ below the top of the tailgate in the down position (open). The tailgate is a couple inches thick. I would wager that you could be ok with those lengths, BUT my measurement is with the second row up and a bit of a dip in the cargo cover between the second and third (stowed) seats. I could imagine that lowering the second row moves the whole unit a little bitā€¦ or maybe it wonā€™t? I will say that I have the flap attached right now and it actually folds nicely along the creases from when they packed it while it is in the back with the tailgate closed.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rs1 adventure
Occupation
P.A.-c
If you are like me then the prospect of getting dog hair all over your brand new cargo area and rear seat backs is not a welcome one. I've been looking for options and they are few and far between. Another forum member posted about a company called Canvasback https://www.canvasback.com/ that they had used in other vehicles and had been really happy with. I reached out to Canvasback and they said they would be willing to make a cargo liner for the R1S but they need an actual R1S to do the measurements. I volunteered but sadly they are in Minnesota and I am in Seattle so that's not going to work.

They are looking for an owner of an R1S in Minnesota to work with, and the lucky owner gets a free liner. If you are interested you can reach out to Sarah at [email protected]

Hurry up so they can get it made before I take delivery. :)

Note I am not a shareholder or employee of Canvasback, just need their product!