• Total voters

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Probably not. IIRC, Rivian has indicated they don't intend to support upgrades. I suppose that could change.
I talked with a battery engineer at the Seattle event, and this is what he told me. I would, however, take whatever Brian says to the bank and weigh it much more heavily than most other employees.
Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Not only did they make it replaceable they built it in a way that it can immediately be repurposed as a power bank for homes. If look at other EV manufactures...yes the battery can be repurposed but it is a big deal to take apart and re-apply. The Rivian batteries can be unplugged from the vehicle and plugged into another purpose. —- this was a direct conversation I had with RJ back at the Overland West Event last year. The cool thing is it is consistent today from what you guys found out in Austin. Proof of the 2nd life use case is in Puerto Rico where Rivian donated the batteries from the prototypes being retired (because they cannot re-sell them) to the hurricane victims.

Rivian is a cool company beyond the vehicle itself!

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

• The maximum width at the rear opening of the R1S is 47 inches (top line). The distance between the two plastic things at the bottom is roughly 43 inches (bottom line).

rivian rear opening.jpg
Thank you for the measurements. These are a bit disappointing as I was hoping to be able to fit golf clubs across, and for that I need 48" clearance. I'd rather not have those compartments on the side as then I could at least fit them by removing the driver. Did you happen to measure the front trunk?

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Thank you for the measurements. These are a bit disappointing as I was hoping to be able to fit golf clubs across, and for that I need 48" clearance. I'd rather not have those compartments on the side as then I could at least fit them by removing the driver. Did you happen to measure the front trunk?
Could you not just fold a seat down and put your clubs in?

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
as a golfer myself we want to secure them if parked, by not exposing them with the seat folded down. A retractable cover would help. Also the Frunk may solve the issue.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Realistically, I would keep the third row seats folded most of the time so it's not a huge issue. It's just nice to have the option of storing them widthwise. With the Model X I am able to keep them in the frunk, so that is my primary wish with the R1S.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Realistically, I would keep the third row seats folded most of the time so it's not a huge issue. It's just nice to have the option of storing them widthwise. With the Model X I am able to keep them in the frunk, so that is my primary wish with the R1S.

-Wow thats a big frunk on the Model X...

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
A belated thanks to all that provided notes from the event! (Been away from forum for awhile and trying to catch up.)

For example, final placement of all USB ports hasn't been determined.
Hopefully this includes the ports in the upper-back of the front seats. The fold down cover protrudes perpendicular to the seat that could easily to stab someone sitting in the backseat during an accident or even a quick stop.

• The maximum width at the rear opening of the R1S is 47 inches (top line). The distance between the two plastic things at the bottom is roughly 43 inches (bottom line).
Did you (or anybody else) happen to get or know the opening height? I tend to transport bikes inside the vehicle and preferably upright or on a slight angle versus them laying on top of one another. (More secure, protected from weather, etc.) Plus, with my old Explorer it was quick and convenient to just lower the smaller split of the rear bench and slide a bike into that opening from the rear as it had a high clearance/opening and storage area.

I asked about something similar to sentry mode, but the person was unsure about it.
Back in October at the Normal event while talking to the R1S team lead I had asked this exact question. He said not only yes, but it would be better (than sentry mode). He knew I was a pre-order holder so I don't think he was trying to do a sales pitch on me. I would be very surprised if Rivian did not provide something similar; it's more a matter of how would it work.

I spoke with a battery engineer who took note of many things I brought up that she didn’t have answers to. She said she’d try to email if she’s able to get any answers :fingerscrossed:.
Just curious, did she happen to email you yet with any answers?

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Hopefully this includes the ports in the upper-back of the front seats. The fold down cover protrudes perpendicular to the seat that could easily to stab someone sitting in the backseat during an accident or even a quick stop.
I can confirm that this will indeed be changed.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
they haven’t settled on offerings as they were not sure everyone would love the yellow accents they are currently using but are definitely listening to feedback
I really hope they keep the yellow accents. The RJ Blue with the yellow accents is literally a dream combo for me. I know that sounds weird but back when the FJ Crusier released in '06 the 13 year old me loved that car and especially the blue and yellow colors. It was the car I wanted as a kid and I still kick myself for buying a 4Runner over the FJ. When I saw the Rivian in blue and yellow I knew that it was going to be my next car!
Sponsored