Sponsored

ATT not working on my cell but LTE service is working on RIVN

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
I found it strange that ATT is out in my area but Spotify, nav, etc still work. It is actually quite nice to be halfway off the grid today.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Multiple factors here -
  • The car's LTE could be using multiple providers (e.g. via an MVNO) to get the best available coverage
  • The car has virtually unlimited power for the antenna and a much larger antenna than your cell phone, in a much more ideal position, so it should be able to get reception even when your phone cannot.
I frequently use the car's wifi to get service when my phone is at the ragged edge of reception, it's quite handy.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Reactions: Fmc

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Same experience. Woke up to no AT&T service due to the nationwide outage but had LTE in the car for my commute. I wonder if there is a roaming agreement for the vehicles that allow them to operate on other networks when out of range of AT&T.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
Multiple factors here -
  • The car's LTE could be using multiple providers (e.g. via an MVNO) to get the best available coverage
  • The car has virtually unlimited power for the antenna and a much larger antenna than your cell phone, in a much more ideal position, so it should be able to get reception even when your phone cannot.
I frequently use the car's wifi to get service when my phone is at the ragged edge of reception, it's quite handy.
This is excellent! I hadn't really considered that the car might get better reception than my phone (or have access to other towers). Since we have AT&T for our phones I was hoping that the Rivian would be on a different network. We have WiFi-calling enabled on our phones to allow us to make/take calls when in VRBO's with internet but no cellular coverage. That should work in the R1S too!
Sponsored