Sponsored

Anyone running Hakka R5 SUVs?

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
I know there have been a million snow tire posts and I've read them all. It seems most Nokian folks go with the LT3s. I'm curious about the R5s and if they can handle the extra wear of a Rivian.

I get my R1T in the next week or so with 21" wheels. Gonna do a 2nd set of 20" snow tires (using Rivian-specific aftermarket rims). It seems getting the R5s will help the diameter stay the same to the 21" wheels vs. the LT3s, which would be an inch more at 34", BUT I'm unsure if the R5s are enough to stand up to the test.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My 22" R5s have been great in the small amount of snow we've had this year. Haven't seen more than a few inches, which is a surprisingly low amount for here.

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
I don’t think the R5s come in 275/65/20, which is why I got the LT3s (which have been awesome.) Unless you are trying to fit a different size tire in the wheel?

OP
OP

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
I don’t think the R5s come in 275/65/20, which is why I got the LT3s (which have been awesome.) Unless you are trying to fit a different size tire in the wheel?
Yeah, I’m trying into match the 21” summer road which is 33”(275/55r21) with a 20” rim winter wheel setup. 275/60r20 should do it. I would have preferred the LT3 if I had 34” diameter wheels, but I don’t want to deal with the hassle of having Rivian change the diameter every season. Maybe they will make it user changeable in the future.

I’ve also been debating studs vs not (I live in the Rockies in Colorado). It seems like the performance between Hakka r5 studless an r10 studded is pretty close though.

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Yeah, I’m trying into match the 21” summer road which is 33”(275/55r21) with a 20” rim winter wheel setup. 275/60r20 should do it. I would have preferred the LT3 if I had 34” diameter wheels, but I don’t want to deal with the hassle of having Rivian change the diameter every season. Maybe they will make it user changeable in the future.

I’ve also been debating studs vs not (I live in the Rockies in Colorado). It seems like the performance between Hakka r5 studless an r10 studded is pretty close though.
If the load rating is ok I imagine that would work. I would hope that one day the software will alllow you to select wheel size and tire type like you can on my wife’s Model Y.

I saw that Nokian has a R5 EV tire, but the sizes aren’t close to what a Rivian needs. Hopefully they expand the offering.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
After calling around to a few more tire shops, the consensus is that it's preferable to do the LT3s on 20" rims and deal with the necessary reprogramming for the wheel diameter change.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
After calling around to a few more tire shops, the consensus is that it's preferable to do the LT3s on 20" rims and deal with the necessary reprogramming for the wheel diameter change.
What was the reasoning for this? I think the R5 is the better alternative if you are using with winter wheels on a truck that originally cam with 21" or 22" wheels.

OP
OP

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
What was the reasoning for this? I think the R5 is the better alternative if you are using with winter wheels on a truck that originally cam with 21" or 22" wheels.
Yes the R5, R10, and LT3s all seem to be very valid options, Nokian lists all of them on their Rivian page. I’m a novice here so just going off a few conversions I had…

It got complicated when I spoke to my go-to tire shop and they wouldn’t install the R5s for me. While technically they could handle the weight, they are a slightly lower spec than the default 20” AT wheels. They would only install at that spec or above. They really wanted me to get the higher spec tire to handle the weight and torque of the Rivian. No sales pitch here as they were sold out of everything.

I live in a somewhat rural area and we only have a few shops. Another shop would do whatever but they were hesitant about the Rivian more generally.

Then I spoke to my nearest service center and they offered to sell me rims without the tires for my winter setup and said I should get the same specs/size as the AT. Who knows how that will play out but I got the sense things would always be smoother with them if my wheels were as close to their standard as possible. I don’t have enough experience with Rivian to know what they will care about vs not. It could be that nobody cares about aftermarket wheels, though I remember a post on one forum where the SC wouldnt reprogram the wheel size because they were after market.

Oh and the R5s for 22” seem to be a higher spec than the 20” ones.

I am still curious about performance of the R5 vs LT3. Seems like the EV variant of the R5 might be awesome if and when they make that size for Rivian.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Yes the R5, R10, and LT3s all seem to be very valid options, Nokian lists all of them on their Rivian page. I’m a novice here so just going off a few conversions I had…

It got complicated when I spoke to my go-to tire shop and they wouldn’t install the R5s for me. While technically they could handle the weight, they are a slightly lower spec than the default 20” AT wheels. They would only install at that spec or above. They really wanted me to get the higher spec tire to handle the weight and torque of the Rivian. No sales pitch here as they were sold out of everything.

I live in a somewhat rural area and we only have a few shops. Another shop would do whatever but they were hesitant about the Rivian more generally.

Then I spoke to my nearest service center and they offered to sell me rims without the tires for my winter setup and said I should get the same specs/size as the AT. Who knows how that will play out but I got the sense things would always be smoother with them if my wheels were as close to their standard as possible. I don’t have enough experience with Rivian to know what they will care about vs not. It could be that nobody cares about aftermarket wheels, though I remember a post on one forum where the SC wouldnt reprogram the wheel size because they were after market.

Oh and the R5s for 22” seem to be a higher spec than the 20” ones.

I am still curious about performance of the R5 vs LT3. Seems like the EV variant of the R5 might be awesome if and when they make that size for Rivian.
I thought you meant they were saying the LT3 would perform better than the R5. I never understood installer refusing to use a certain tire, and have never experienced it with any car I have had at countless installers. I understand they are doing things "by the book" to prevent liability. Of course I normally just take the wheels off and take them in, so maybe that would be a way around it. The 22" tires were initially 115 load rating, the same as the Hakka R5. Clearly that is enough for the trucks and the maths verify that. I just wouldn't want the extra weight for an E range tire (LT3) when that is way overkill, and wouldn't want to deal with reprogramming (and why I went with 275/60R20 Nokian Outposts, also 115 load rating, for my "winter"/off-road setup, just waiting for my wheels to be coated so I can install).

OP
OP

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
Update. I got the LT3s and they are awesome! Great stopping power in the Colorado Rockies. SC sold me rims and sensors and put on my snow tires when I took delivery.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone running Hakka R5 SUVs? 1007EE01-6E49-4D8B-AB07-4DC7792ED854
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone running Hakka R5 SUVs? 8F6A2BD6-8C7E-4338-A80A-82A19E34272A

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Colorado87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo xc40
Also my efficiency in 15 degrees F. Going slower I get more like 2.5mi/kWh, sometimes even more.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone running Hakka R5 SUVs? 9E7953A5-D185-459F-91BB-F2C8AA540EC2

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My 22" R5s have been great in the small amount of snow we've had this year. Haven't seen more than a few inches, which is a surprisingly low amount for here.
I’m looking at these for my 22s. I have them on my wife’s Q7 and they’re fantastic. I will admit, I’m considering waiting til next winter and just hoping the remainder of winter isn’t that bad.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
21” R5s were made in Russia and are impossible to find. I like your 20” idea.
Sponsored