Sponsored

Anyone pass power wire through Firewall yet?

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, 488, Model X, Honda Clarity, 911, Jeep
Has anyone gone through the firewall yet? I'm trying pass a power wire from the inside cabin to the frunk.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Has anyone gone through the firewall yet? I'm trying pass a power wire from the inside cabin to the frunk.
How much current do you need? There's already a 12V socket in the frunk if you only need a few amps.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Isnā€™t there a power socket in the frunk? I assume you must then be running power so you can have a switch in the cabin?

Chances are you are the first to be modding for this. Everyone else is busy getting PPF šŸ˜‚

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The batteries are in the front trunk as well right. Your questions are fair, since there is a power outlet in both the font trunk and underneath the dash. I would assume OP is trying to run power directly from the batteries to the cabin?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The batteries are in the front trunk as well right. Your questions are fair, since there is a power outlet in both the font trunk and underneath the dash. I would assume OP is trying to run power directly from the batteries to the cabin?
That's not how the OP reads.

Would probably be better off if OP said what they are trying to accomplish instead of a generic "have you done this"

Sponsored

OP
OP

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry, I never really looked hard in the frunk, but if there is a 12v lighter plug that should suffice to tap into. I am installing some laser shifters in the front. I would prefer to have a controller on the inside of the car. If not, I can power it from the frunk and use my phone as the controller via a bluetooth module. I'll keep you guys posted.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Laser shifters... Guess you're looking to do some crime in that left lane. They all run off 12V, or at least all the ones I know of.

I'm betting there's an existing knockout or wiring port/pass-thru for up-fit purposes. Most trucks have such things these days. ...Or at least Ford, GM and Dodge are nice enough to provide since they have available up fitter switches in the cab.

Also aside from the 12V port in the frunk, there should be direct 12V access through the access panel between the frunk and the cab.

OP
OP

First Name
mfa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Laser shifters... Guess you're looking to do some crime in that left lane. They all run off 12V, or at least all the ones I know of.

I'm betting there's an existing knockout or wiring port/pass-thru for up-fit purposes. Most trucks have such things these days. ...Or at least Ford, GM and Dodge are nice enough to provide since they have available up fitter switches in the cab.

Also aside from the 12V port in the frunk, there should be direct 12V access through the access panel between the frunk and the cab.

Sorry, I'm installing additional "parking sensors" in the front. No crime in that. I'll look for the pass thru tonight.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Sorry, I'm installing additional "parking sensors" in the front. No crime in that. I'll look for the pass thru tonight.
Sorry to bring up an old thread... but did you figure out a pass through in the firewall?

I'm going to be tackling a Midland MXT575 radio install and will be needing to get a Cat6 cable from the frunk into the cabin.

EDIT: Looking a bit more, seems like OP sold his truck... so I went down the rabbit hole. Found the answer to my question. Not my pic. Thanks to whoever did the homework.

Second pic is from the Munroe teardown video. Looks like to me this grommet has a guide/channel which goes somewhere... but where. When I dig into this I will send a small wire into the grommet and try to find out.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone pass power wire through Firewall yet? PXL_20220426_230040062

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone pass power wire through Firewall yet? Screen Shot 2022-11-20 at 2.21.34 PM

Last edited:

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
UPDATE: I poked around at that grommet and IF they are to be used as passthroughs for aftermarket wiring or future Rivian accessories, I think you would need to poke through and pierce the rubber. I didn't have the courage to do that just yet...

Sponsored

aconfusedazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
UPDATE: I poked around at that grommet and IF they are to be used as passthroughs for aftermarket wiring or future Rivian accessories, I think you would need to poke through and pierce the rubber. I didn't have the courage to do that just yet...
Any update on this? I'm needing to pass two 4g amp wires through

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Nope, I ended up installing my GMRS radio purely inside the cab, but using the 12V outlet in the gear tunnel for power. I don't feel great being the guinea pig on such an expensive vehicle.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Can the 12V system handle your current requirement? Those batteries are pretty small, iirc. I'm also not sure how beefy the 12V maintenance circuit is.

aconfusedazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Can the 12V system handle your current requirement? Those batteries are pretty small, iirc. I'm also not sure how beefy the 12V maintenance circuit is.
The amp is very efficient and Iā€™m not trying to stress the system too much but just a filler sub. Itā€™s been done before and it worked well for them.

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Rivian stopped putting the 12v outlet in the fronk, super stupid but I have heard rumors the wiring is there just have to put a hole and receptacle in. I tried to run a cooler in the fronk for a while, got too hot and I killed the cooler. Maybe that is why it went away, super bummer though.
Sponsored