Sponsored

Anyone delay their order?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I was contemplating waiting, but...I just got off the phone with the guide and the conversation wasn't incredibly helpful.

Was basically told you can get "these already available R1T's now" as in pick them next week at the plant in Normal (I live near by) or if I wanted my exact configuration I would have to wait an unknown amount of time for a vehicle to to be ready.

I didn't like the idea of waiting, considering I don't have a vehicle right now and my Guide wouldn't specifically tell me when my exact configuration would be available. So not having a car and kinda needing one I told her I'd take anything with 22" wheels and a spare tire.

She said she had a Black R1T Adventure available. I could have gotten a Launch Edition with the all-terrain tires, however I wanted the slight range bump.

All options not immediately available would delay any order with said options (camp kitchen, OC, etc.)

All in all the whole "guide" experience wasn't much of anything, or at least hasn't been so far.

I couldn't even get an answer of when a wall charger would arrive (seriously?).

Whatever... I'm just gonna roll the dice and punt on this one.
So you ordered a Launch Edition but you will be receiving Adventure.

Did they at least offer you Launch Edition pricing on that Adventure vehicle? Or are they making you pay extra for the wheels that would be free if they had put a Launch Edition sticker on the dashboard?
Sponsored

Last edited:

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

OP here, thanks for the feedbacks. I hate to say it, but I don't have a launch edition configured and I really want the pre-price change quad motor. :)

I have a call with a guide tomorrow. I'm based out of Austin, so I think if I can understand the service center situation a bit better I may pull the trigger. I certainly will not be trading in right away just in case.
I talked to one of the service folks who is going to be working out of the ATX center, he said they are expecting to be online in July…

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
So you ordered a Launch Edition but you will be receiving Adventure.

Did they at least offer you Launch Edition pricing on that Adventure vehicle? Or are they making you pay extra for the wheels that would be free if they had put a Launch Edition sticker on the dashboard?
No I didn't order a LE, but they said one was available. I didn't like the AT wheels, so opted for a Black Adventure.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Camp kitchen and other accessories that are not part of the vehicle are not delaying things - people are just getting them later, at the previously agreed price. FYI.
The guide told me they cannot sell you a vehicle with a camp kitchen (or gear shuttle).

All they can do is get you a vehicle and then notify you when you can purchase those items later.

I specifically told her I wanted every option because I wanted the highest possible MSRP so I could deduct this car for my business. She told me she couldn't even place my order with all those items. All they would do is contact me once they were available to purchase at a later date. I just took her for a word, sounded kinda BS to me.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The guide told me they cannot sell you a vehicle with a camp kitchen (or gear shuttle).

All they can do is get you a vehicle and then notify you when you can purchase those items later.

I specifically told her I wanted every option because I wanted the highest possible MSRP so I could deduct this car for my business. She told me she couldn't even place my order with all those items. All they would do is contact me once they were available to purchase at a later date. I just took her for a word, sounded kinda BS to me.
This sort of thing is not unheard of for late availability accessories. I had a car where I had to wait 9 months for some accessories. I didn’t pay for those things until they arrived, and luckily didn’t pay the aftermarket price.

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I delayed my order. From the time I ordered in December 2018 until now, 1,263 days and counting. It's not that my R1S isn't ready. I just keep delaying.

OP
OP

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I have a VIN (under 7000) so it may be a reject. Waiting on local finance since Rivian is over 2x the interest rate I can get.

Sounds like the Austin SC is imminent which will align well with my delivery.

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
I’m an R1S LE preorder with a Mar/Apr (ha!) delivery window. Guide said I could have my vehicle by the end of May, but I deferred until July due to a new $4K tax rebate going into effect in Illinois starting July 1. No issues at all doing it - just ask your guide and they’ll put a note in your account.

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’m an R1S LE preorder with a Mar/Apr (ha!) delivery window. Guide said I could have my vehicle by the end of May, but I deferred until July due to a new $4K tax rebate going into effect in Illinois starting July 1. No issues at all doing it - just ask your guide and they’ll put a note in your account.
Tom,
Make sure you check out the stipulations for that IL $4k tax rebate.

"The EV rebate is set to go into effect on July 1, 2022. Stipulations tied to the rebate require that an owner keeps the EV for 12 months, to register the vehicle and to live within the state for that year as well. Buyers will also be required to apply for the credit within 90 days of purchasing their vehicle and those rebates are restricted to customers whose average income doesn’t exceed 80 percent of the area’s median income."

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
Tom,
Make sure you check out the stipulations for that IL $4k tax rebate.

"The EV rebate is set to go into effect on July 1, 2022. Stipulations tied to the rebate require that an owner keeps the EV for 12 months, to register the vehicle and to live within the state for that year as well. Buyers will also be required to apply for the credit within 90 days of purchasing their vehicle and those rebates are restricted to customers whose average income doesn’t exceed 80 percent of the area’s median income."
Thanks, Bob. I believe those stipulations were originally considered but eventually dropped. Here’s the final language (from https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/102/SB/10200SB2408ham002.htm)

“Sec. 27. Electric vehicle rebate.

(a) Beginning July 1, 2022, and continuing as long as funds are available, each person shall be eligible to apply for a rebate, in the amounts set forth below, following the purchase of an electric vehicle in Illinois. The Agency shall issue rebates consistent with the provisions of this Act and any implementing regulations adopted by the Agency. In no event shall a rebate amount exceed the purchase price of the vehicle.

(1) Beginning July 1, 2022, a $4,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.

(2) Beginning July 1, 2026, a $2,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.

(3) Beginning July 1, 2028, a $1,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.

(b) To be eligible to receive a rebate, a purchaser must:

(1) Reside in Illinois, both at the time the vehicle was purchased and at the time the rebate is issued.

(2) Purchase an electric vehicle in Illinois on or after July 1, 2022 and be the owner of the vehicle at the time the rebate is issued. Rented or leased vehicles, vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealership, and vehicles delivered to or received by the purchaser out-of-state are not eligible for a rebate under this Act.

(3) Apply for the rebate within 90 days after the vehicle purchase date, and provide to the Agency proof of residence, proof of vehicle ownership, and proof that the vehicle was purchased in Illinois, including a copy of a purchase agreement noting an Illinois seller. The purchaser must notify the Agency of any changes in residency or ownership of the vehicle that occur between application for a rebate and issuance of a rebate.

(c) The Agency shall make available in application materials methods for purchasers to identify as low-income. The Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly.

(d) The purchaser must retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 12 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase date. The purchaser must continue to reside in a covered area during that time frame and register the vehicle in Illinois during that time frame. Rebate recipients who fail to satisfy any of the above criteria will be required to reimburse the Agency all or part of the original rebate amount and shall notify the Agency within 60 days of failing to satisfy the criteria.

(e) Rebates administered under this Section shall be available for both new and used passenger electric vehicles.

(f) A rebate administered under this Act may only be applied for and awarded one time per vehicle identification number. A rebate may only be applied for and awarded once per purchaser in any 10-year period.”

Sponsored

bobaurora

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks, Bob. I believe those stipulations were originally considered but eventually dropped. Here’s the final language (from https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/102/SB/10200SB2408ham002.htm)

“Sec. 27. Electric vehicle rebate.

(a) Beginning July 1, 2022, and continuing as long as funds are available, each person shall be eligible to apply for a rebate, in the amounts set forth below, following the purchase of an electric vehicle in Illinois. The Agency shall issue rebates consistent with the provisions of this Act and any implementing regulations adopted by the Agency. In no event shall a rebate amount exceed the purchase price of the vehicle.

(1) Beginning July 1, 2022, a $4,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.

(2) Beginning July 1, 2026, a $2,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.

(3) Beginning July 1, 2028, a $1,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.

(b) To be eligible to receive a rebate, a purchaser must:

(1) Reside in Illinois, both at the time the vehicle was purchased and at the time the rebate is issued.

(2) Purchase an electric vehicle in Illinois on or after July 1, 2022 and be the owner of the vehicle at the time the rebate is issued. Rented or leased vehicles, vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealership, and vehicles delivered to or received by the purchaser out-of-state are not eligible for a rebate under this Act.

(3) Apply for the rebate within 90 days after the vehicle purchase date, and provide to the Agency proof of residence, proof of vehicle ownership, and proof that the vehicle was purchased in Illinois, including a copy of a purchase agreement noting an Illinois seller. The purchaser must notify the Agency of any changes in residency or ownership of the vehicle that occur between application for a rebate and issuance of a rebate.

(c) The Agency shall make available in application materials methods for purchasers to identify as low-income. The Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly.

(d) The purchaser must retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 12 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase date. The purchaser must continue to reside in a covered area during that time frame and register the vehicle in Illinois during that time frame. Rebate recipients who fail to satisfy any of the above criteria will be required to reimburse the Agency all or part of the original rebate amount and shall notify the Agency within 60 days of failing to satisfy the criteria.

(e) Rebates administered under this Section shall be available for both new and used passenger electric vehicles.

(f) A rebate administered under this Act may only be applied for and awarded one time per vehicle identification number. A rebate may only be applied for and awarded once per purchaser in any 10-year period.”
Thanks Tom, great info. I will be sure to delay should I get called out of the blue. My order was placed in December 2021, so I probably don't have to worry about delivery before July.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I kicked my next guide contact a month down the road. R1T launch edition, but I'm seriously considering changing to a Max pack and then back should the supply chain issues get corrected (I actually expect it to worsen over the next year). There's even a chance I just say "F it" and bail completely because there's far more important things than a $76k truck.

It really depends on how long you want to wait. Max packs are probably not going to start showing up until sometime in 2023, so you could change your config to an Explore Max pack to guarantee the longest wait, and switch back to the trim you actually want when you're ready to get your order fulfilled.

If you want to wait even longer (say, 2+ years), then you'd be better off accepting delivery, turning around to sell it, and use the proceeds to eventually pay updated pricing for a Rivian with in-house motors in 2024+.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I have a VIN (under 7000) so it may be a reject.
Why do you think It may be a reject? The VIN certainly wouldn’t indicate that. I don’t think we’ve seen a single VIN higher than the 5000’s yet.

OP
OP

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Why do you think It may be a reject? The VIN certainly wouldn’t indicate that. I don’t think we’ve seen a single VIN higher than the 5000’s yet.
Oh nice, I thought they were up to 10k produced.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Oh nice, I thought they were up to 10k produced.
Even then why would it be a “reject” and what would it have been rejected from?
Sponsored