Sponsored

Any windows tempered (not laminated) on Rivians?

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

A sharp pointed steel tool tapped on the corner of the window will likely breach the strength of the class. Push it out with elbow or foot.

The pano glass on the ceiling is in my opinion a weak link in the glass. Likely one push with your feet and it's out. Laying on your back, there will be plenty support.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
A sharp pointed steel tool tapped on the corner of the window will likely breach the strength of the class. Push it out with elbow or foot.

The pano glass on the ceiling is in my opinion a weak link in the glass. Likely one push with your feet and it's out. Laying on your back, there will be plenty support.
Will not work with laminated glass

Sponsored

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

I cant read the whole article, but Ill guess she died in water because the window would not break. Best thing to do is to put the window down as the car is sinking if possible. If that does not work you let the cabin fill up with water and then open the door once the pressure equalizes. Of course there are so many variables to a car into the water that no one thing works every time.

Treebeard

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fire Marshal
Clubs

My terminology must be in error, is the term you use a new kind of Laminated glass?
Laminated glass does not break like tempered glass. What you describe is for tempered glass.

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
My terminology must be in error, is the term you use a new kind of Laminated glass?
I can't read the article due to the paywall.

However, laminated glass is multiple layers of glass, with a sheet of plastic between them. If you shatter a laminated glass, it will only shatter the layer you hit, and the layer behind likely won't shatter. And if it does, you still have a sheet or plastic. This is standard construction for windshields, and premium vehicles are adding it to side windows because it helps with the sound, especially in a premium EV where most of the noise is actually coming through the windows.

With laminated glass, you need something hard to shatter it (like a hammer), and then you'd probably want a saw to saw through the plastic. It's really not easy to get through.

Usually the 12V system is still working in a crash, so roll the window down. Don't try to break it.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

/grabs popcorn …

Ohhhh edge case terror. I’m ready.