Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

It will be interesting to find out what caused the accident. Purely driver? Mechanical/software? Other?

Also the cause of the fire will be of importance.

Another bit of bad luck for Rivian.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
The sad thing is that if the dude is an employee, we may never know what happened. Even if he misjudged something (like how a 7000 lb vehicle behaves) and it was his fault, I would like to know what happend. I could very well make the same mistake and could watch out for it. Tommy was surprised on that acceleration test too. I think @electruck is correct; this much power and weight combination requires a lot of caution.

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

One thing that comes to mind, it is a grounded metal pole. I wonder if it was arcing from the front left motor to the pole. Could definitely cause some heat for a fire and melting.

Might also explain the very localized burn mark on the pole.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
It will be interesting to find out what caused the accident. Purely driver? Mechanical/software? Other?

Also the cause of the fire will be of importance.

Another bit of bad luck for Rivian.
We will absolutely never know.

The bright side is the ease with which they dispatched it & that they allowed people to linger nearby probably rules out a lithium fire.

battleborn

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
defender 110
Occupation
sales
Clubs

I predict more stories like this. Heavy SUV's and Trucks with hyper-car acceleration in the hands of the average Joe. Guessing the insurance companies won't need to see many more of these crashes to justify huge rates. It's all fun and games until someone pokes their eye out....

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

We will absolutely never know.

The bright side is the ease with which they dispatched it & that they allowed people to linger nearby probably rules out a lithium fire.
Sadly you are probably right but root cause determination for crash and fire is essential.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
At least one caller reported the vehicle was exiting the freeway at high speeds when it lost control and collided with the pole, according to a California Highway Patrol incident log.
This seems to jive - the easy answer is usually the correct one, where there's smoke there's fire (literally in this case), etc etc. His ambition outweighed his talent. It's also a 7000lb+ vehicle on all-terrain tires, not a McLaren on warm P-Zeros. I don't care how low the center of gravity is, if the lateral forces exceed the traction of the tires, you could slide into a pole and have a bad time.