Sponsored

AND SO IT BEGINS - NEW..... $200 A YEAR, ELECTRIC VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX - TEXAS!

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
It was bound to happen sooner than later! The state of Texas realized that the more electric vehicles in the state, the less gas tax money coming back to the state! How long is it before the same thing happens to us with the Federal Government. Yes, the same Government that is pushing everyone to Electric Vehicles. I lived in CA and I was paying like $750 a year for my registration. I can't imagine what that "electric vehicle tax" is going to happen to you who live in the "Golden State". The same state that says that by 2035 that the only new vehicles being sold are going to be Electric Vehicles and then two weeks later when the power was at a point that they were going to have to institute rolling black outs, told electric vehicle owners to refrain from charging their vehicles! Ugh.............

Rivian R1T R1S AND SO IT BEGINS - NEW..... $200 A YEAR, ELECTRIC VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX - TEXAS! Texas Electric Vehicle Tax
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Most pro EV states are not considering these EV taxes, nor is the federal government. Only states that want to put themselves at odds with what they consider "green" tech. It's part of a culture war to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
I hope your right for those who live in those states and for all of us in the US.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Tax semis more is the answer. They do the bulk of damage to the freeways.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That lost revenue has to come from somewhere. We all know the option can never be for the government to spend less or be more efficient. Only the private sector is expected to do that.

Sponsored

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Pro EV states are not considering these EV taxes, nor is the federal government. Only states that want to put themselves at odds with what they consider "green" tech. It's part of a culture war to them.
I beg to differ, WA state is very pro EV and we have to pay an additional tax every year at renewal time. It varies if you are PHEV or BEV, with BEV being the higher amount.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

So you expect to drive on the roads for free? If our government actually knew how to spend money effectively and efficiently I would support an even higher number than $200 a year.

I see nothing wrong with this. Driving an EV doesn't give us entitlement to use the roads without having to pay for them. This has nothing to do with Pro-EV states vs those that aren't. It has everything to do with paying for what you use.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I beg to differ, WA state is very pro EV and we have to pay an additional tax every year at renewal time. It varies if you are PHEV or BEV, with BEV being the higher amount.
Thank you for the info. I will edit my statement to say *most* pro EV states aren't doing this (that I am aware of).

I guess the question should also be asked what makes a state "pro EV"? We don't have any EV specific taxes in CO (although our vehicles registrations are pretty expensive) and they just increased the EV incentive amount. They are also investing heavily in charging infrastructure.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm totally okay with this tax. Right now folks pay tax at the pump and EV gets to skate by.

This will fix that right up and make sure everyone is taxed.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Most pro EV states are not considering these EV taxes, nor is the federal government. Only states that want to put themselves at odds with what they consider "green" tech. It's part of a culture war to them.
I disagree. Here in WA we pay $150. Our guv is about as green as it gets. Don’t like it but probably fair since gas taxes pay for roads although in seattle you wouldn’t know it

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I fully expect the State to replace the lost fuel tax income, but don't necessarily agree with how it's being implemented. I would much rather see movement toward a consistent fee that is not a function of fuel type so that the tax is unbiased. Of course, that won't happen for a variety of reasons. Otherwise, a flat fee isn't an unreasonable approach. However, I do think $400 up front plus $200/yr for annual renewal is a bit steep.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Just renewed for August so I have one more year free!
Don't worry, next year it will be $400 to make up for the difference! /s

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Don't worry, next year it will be $400 to make up for the difference! /s
Hardly... TX couldn't pass a revision to the tax law nearly that fast. The next regular legislative session won't be until 2025.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
This list obviously isn’t current (No TX added yet), but this is a list of all states that charge a fee for owning an EV:

STATE-BY-STATE FEES
Here's a rundown of the states that currently charge electric-vehicle owners added fees, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures:

California: $100 annual fee for a zero-emissions vehicle. Starting in January 2021, annual increases will be indexed to the consumer price index.

Colorado: $50 annual fee for full-electric and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) vehicles.

Georgia: $200 annual license fee for “noncommercial alternative fueled vehicles,” including EVs, but not PHEVs (unless the owner requests an alt-fuel license plate). The fee is automatically adjusted on an annual basis.

Idaho: $140 annual fee for EVs; it’s $75 for PHEVs.

Illinois: $100 annual fee for EVs beginning July 1, 2019.

Indiana: $150 annual fee for EVs; it’s $50 for hybrids and PHEVs.

Michigan: $135 annual fee for non-hybrid electric vehicles weighing less than 8,000 pounds; it’s $235 for those weighing more than 8,000 pounds. The state charges hybrid owners an extra $47.50 and PHEV drivers an added $117.50. These fees are indexed to the state gas tax and would rise incrementally if it is increased.

Minnesota: $75 annual fee on EVs.

Mississippi: $150 fee on EVs and a $75 fee on hybrids. Beginning July 1, 2021, these fees will be indexed to the inflation rate.

Missouri: $75 annual fee on EVs, and $37.50 on PHEVs.

Nebraska: $75 annual fee on alternative-fuel vehicles, including EVs.

North Carolina: $130 on plug-in vehicles, including EVs.

Oregon: $110 annual fee on PHEVs beginning on January 1, 2020.

South Carolina: $120 biennial fee for EVs; it’s a $60 biennial fee for hybrids.

Tennessee: $100 annual fee for EVs.

Utah: $60 annual fee for EVs; it increases to $90 in 2020 and $120 in 2021. Hybrids are assessed a $10 fee that rises to $15 in 2020 and $20 in 2021. It’s currently a $26 annual fee for PHEVs that jumps to $39 in 2020 and $52 in 2021. In 2022 increases will be indexed to the consumer price index.

Virginia: $64 annual license for EVs.

Washington: $150 annual fee for EVs.

Wisconsin: $100 annual fee for EVs.

https://www.myev.com/research/inter...-charge-extra-fees-to-own-an-electric-vehicle
Sponsored