Amended return rejected

Millertimr

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
I amended my return in July. Have a tax liability greater than $7500. Have a BPA.

Nothing but crickets. Haven’t heard anything about my credit.

How long should I wait before contacting someone and who should I contact?

I filed through Turbo Tax.
It took me two months tbh
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Was supposed to be a max of 16 weeks. Current backlogs are 20 weeks though. I called since it’s been 18 for me and was told to keep waiting…
The 20 week backlog. Is that what they told you when you called?

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The 20 week backlog. Is that what they told you when you called?
They told me to wait another 30 days. However, the 20 weeks is also from their operations page in the first FAQ:
Status of processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of October 21, 2023, we had 815,000 unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We’re processing these returns in the order received and the current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks. Please don't file the same return more than once. Taxpayers should continue to check Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I talked with my Tax Pro over the weekend.. Yea.. I am pushing out my delivery until 2024. I lose every tax advantage if I dont.

Sponsored

Hawkjody

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Keep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Physician
This is a non-refundable tax credit so your tax liability had to exceed the refund to get the entire refund. I assume you paid more than 7500 in taxes for 2022 and were under the income limits.

Might want to review this and if you meet all of the criteria contact the IRS, would not be the first time they were wrong.
AS I UNDERSTOOD IT In 2022 there were no income limit or price limits for the $7500 tax credit.- that was the whole puropose for the binding agreement in 2022 - also amended tax return shoudl be the 2022 tax return and purchace date was to before the mid august 2022 date (dont remenber the exact date off hand. Your are right thant you must have had tax liability of > 7500 to get the full 7500 back.

EMama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV-4
Occupation
retired
Good morning,
Hope everyone is enjoying the Haloween organ music! I signed the binding agreement for the Rivian in 2022 and got delivery in 2023. I submitted an amended federal return, but it was rejected. Has anyone had success / failure in getting the 7500?

Thanks!!!
After a wait of almost 5 months after filing an amended return, we received the $7500, plus $242 interest.

lostinafog

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad large Canyon Red, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

I amended my return in July. Have a tax liability greater than $7500. Have a BPA.

Nothing but crickets. Haven’t heard anything about my credit.

How long should I wait before contacting someone and who should I contact?

I filed through Turbo Tax.
Yeah, we submitted around 7/10 and checked the website and it said that we needed to call. We called and they siad that processing was delayed but gave us no indication it would be rejected. Two weeks later still same update on website.

tadmcmichael

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have read through this and am still a little confused. I took delivery of a R1S last week. I also completed the Binding Contract on August 16 just before IRA was signed. I am clear that option 1 is to amend my 2022 return for the $7,500. I don't qualify under the IRA in 2023, but can I still file for 2023 taxes or do I need to amend 2022?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
I have read through this and am still a little confused. I took delivery of a R1S last week. I also completed the Binding Contract on August 16 just before IRA was signed. I am clear that option 1 is to amend my 2022 return for the $7,500. I don't qualify under the IRA in 2023, but can I still file for 2023 taxes or do I need to amend 2022?
You need to amend your TY2022 return to get the credit. You would have needed at least $7500 in tax liability in TY2022 to get the full credit. Make sure you use August 15th, 2022, as your in service date per the IRS FAQ: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/topic-...rements-apply-to-the-new-clean-vehicle-credit

Last edited:

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
I have the limits on my mind, forgot it changed last year.

I got my R1S before March this year, did not want to file an amended return so just making sure I stay under the limits for 2023 and will take the credit this year.
The credit amount for 2023 is just $3750 due to some of the manufacturing/sourcing requirements In the new law. You will only get the full $7500 if you amend the 2022 return.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
Good morning,
They actually didn't say why it was rejected. I got a letter stating the amount due was $0. It noted "we made the changes you requested to your 2022 form 1040 to adjust your tax credit. As a result you don't owe us any money, nor are you due a refund." There is then a section that says if you agree, nothing to do, if you don't agree call us. I called and they noted a tax advocate will call me in 30 days. I reached out here to see if this had occurred with anyone else since we are a small community,. The date of purchase I had written was August 15, 2022.

Thank you for the input, sounds like others have had success so hopefully it's an error on my part. I'll keep my fingers crossed and check out more details on the other threads.
Perhaps the credit (refund) was applied to your 2023 estimated taxes...? You can always elect to have an overpayment refunded or applied to the following year.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y
This is one of the reasons I am thinking I am going to push my delivery out to January. I already got a full refund for 2022. I am not sure it will help me.

WIll have to take to my tax advisor.
You received a full refund of all taxes paid for 2022? Interesting.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Perhaps the credit (refund) was applied to your 2023 estimated taxes...? You can always elect to have an overpayment refunded or applied to the following year.
When I talked to my Tax guy on Friday.. These are not roll over credits. Use it or lose it.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
You received a full refund of all taxes paid for 2022? Interesting.
Yes I did.. I get a full refund every year.

I have now modified my tax with holdings to -0-. I have a 15000 credit sitting there for nearly 4 years now I need to get used. Going to put those to use doing this, and I will still get a refund because of child tax credits.
Sponsored