First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
Kind of cool feature though. Rather than fumble around on the display for something simple like AC controls.

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
I think it is a serious mistake to make vital truck functions like voice control (especially for calls and navigation) run through a 3rd party ecosystem. I absolutely refuse to buy a Rivian if I am required to say the word "Alexa" to operate normal vehicle functions. I don't have Amazon devices in my home, and I don't want an Amazon vehicle.

I should be able to press a button on the steering wheel, then issue the voice command without a wake word.

Are you listening, Rivian?

"Yes, thanks for your interest in this topic. We realize that everyone has different devices and preferences--therefore, the voice control functions are user customizable and designed to function without an Amazon account or an internet connection. You can customize your wake word, or simply use the always present wake button on the screen (or steering wheel)."

That's the only acceptable answer, to me. This is an $80,000 vehicle. Not a made in china "Echo Dot" on sale for 79.99 on black friday. Amazon has a reputation for aggressively pushing their cheap devices into people's homes and we all know why they do it. Rivian getting tied up with that strikes me as extremely tacky and unbecoming of a luxury vehicle brand. I'm fine with it being completely optional, but the vehicle damned well better have a way to do every function without the internet and without Amazon, or Alexa.
Whew. I needed to vent about that. lol.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think it is a serious mistake to make vital truck functions like voice control (especially for calls and navigation) run through a 3rd party ecosystem. I absolutely refuse to buy a Rivian if I am required to say the word "Alexa" to operate normal vehicle functions. I don't have Amazon devices in my home, and I don't want an Amazon vehicle.

I should be able to press a button on the steering wheel, then issue the voice command without a wake word.

Are you listening, Rivian?
I understand your sentiment, but I also disagree. I haven't personally seen a manufacturer provide natural voice processing anywhere as well as Google/Apple/Amazon/Microsoft. VW has tried with the ID cars, generally works ok for the car functions (close the sun roof, my butt is cold, etc.) but holy shit does it frustrating me trying to use it to navigate somewhere. I'd rather be able to natively choose the 3rd party of your choice (ie AA/Car play), but short of that I'm fine with them using one. I don't use Siri at all and would still rather Siri integration than native voice integration on the car that sucks.

Full disclosure: I haven't used voice control on a tesla, so maybe they've figured it out. Wouldn't surprise me.

Regarding the button. I'm generally a fan of useful buttons in cars. But every car I've had with a press to speak button has just made me with they didn't have said button.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I am hoping the wake word can be changed to "Rivian" (it's not happening, I know).

GR

Wait, can't that be done now? I swore I've heard people program Alexa to a different wake work in their homes. If so, why couldn't this be done in this scenario as well?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Wait, can't that be done now? I swore I've heard people program Alexa to a different wake work in their homes. If so, why couldn't this be done in this scenario as well?
There are a few, limited, other wake words. Alexa, computer, Echo, and Amazon (oh, and Ziggy!!) are the only current options. There was a limited time that custom wake words were supported, but that time is gone. There is nothing stopping Amazon from creating a custom wake word for Rivian, though.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
All I want is multi-lingual options. Nothing, and I mean ... N O T H I N G ... will be more entertaining to me than hearing the car respond to you in Cuban -

Me: "Alexa, tengo calor"
Rivian'lexa: "Abre la ventana, cabrón!"

?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
All I want is multi-lingual options. Nothing, and I mean ... N O T H I N G ... will be more entertaining to me than hearing the car respond to you in Cuban -

?
Pretty sure Alexa has better manners than that, but it would remind me of some Cuban women I've met in the past!

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
I mean, it would at least be hella-accurate! ?

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)

?
I really want a sweary Australian version of Alexa.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
There are a few, limited, other wake words. Alexa, computer, Echo, and Amazon (oh, and Ziggy!!) are the only current options. There was a limited time that custom wake words were supported, but that time is gone. There is nothing stopping Amazon from creating a custom wake word for Rivian, though.
Lame, I hope I can change the wake word to “truckasaurus”

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)