"Alexa, let's chat" a la KITT

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (El Cap, BM, 20" Darks)
As young boy in the early 80's, Knight Rider's talking car, KITT, was pretty bad ass. At the time, the idea of being able to talk to your car seemed even more far-fetched than David Hasselhoff becoming a huge pop star in Germany. It's taken a little longer for the former than the latter, but here we are forty years later and it seems a conversational Alexa is right around the corner. I am only assuming that Rivian will allow for the updated Alexa. I know some will be concerned about privacy or just get creeped out by AI, but I'm looking forward to, for example, being able to learn about pretty much any subject through voice conversation while on a road trip (understanding that information can be distorted by a biased source). Here's a preview:

Apologies if this has been discussed already-- I couldn't find it in the search.
Sponsored

OP
OP

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As young boy in the early 80's, Knight Rider's talking car, KITT, was pretty bad ass. At the time, the idea of being able to talk to your car seemed even more far-fetched than David Hasselhoff becoming a huge pop star in Germany. It's taken a little longer for the former than the latter, but here we are forty years later and it seems a conversational Alexa is right around the corner. I am only assuming that Rivian will allow for the updated Alexa. I know some will be concerned about privacy or just get creeped out by AI, but I'm looking forward to, for example, being able to learn about pretty much any subject through voice conversation while on a road trip (understanding that information can be distorted by a biased source). Here's a preview:

Apologies if this has been discussed already-- I couldn't find it in the search.
BTW, Rivian basically already has the "turbo boost" feature built in. Also, for those not familiar or for you who watched as a kid:

šŸ¤£

OP
OP

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, that didn't take long. For anyone who might be interested -- and so far, I might be the only one, ;)-- you can now request a conversational, generative AI through Alexa in the Rivian. Say, "Alexa, open Character AI", and then Alexa will give you some options: you can choose between a number of different assistants, "helpers", or famous people. I only spent about 15 minutes on it. And while it certainly doesn't feel like normal conversation, it is amazing that this is a thing when just a year ago, ChatGPT/generative AI was largely unknown. So, now, you can have follow-up conversations with an AI in your Rivian and have it help teach you a language, discuss historical events, get relationship or health advice, discuss movies, etc. At one point, my wife got into the Rivian and the AI took on the role of a relationship therapist. I was called out for slacking on doing dishes. Next time I'll need to select a male AI therapist to turn the tables.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle...e-ai-skills-heres-how-to-try-them/ar-AA1mKipU

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

KITT was so amazing as kid, my inner child is getting really stoked for this.

If you havenā€™t seen the film HER, there is a dark side for conversational AI friends that know us and serve us better than anyone else possibly could. Just donā€™t fall in love with Her! ā€¦Black Mirror

Rivian R1T R1S "Alexa, let's chat" a la KITT IMG_6306

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

If they give it a KITT voice I'd probably use this. But would be better if they'd invest the resources on fixing the still-awful built-in navigation. šŸ˜†

Reactions: MWB

Sponsored

OP
OP

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

If you havenā€™t seen the film HER, there is a dark side for conversational AI friends that know us and serve us better than anyone else possibly could. Just donā€™t fall in love with Her! ā€¦Black Mirror

IMG_6306.jpeg
It's one of those movies that I've wanted to check out but haven't. Maybe this weekend.

But it's good cautionary advice. Although, I already spend more time with the Rivian than my wife šŸ˜.

OP
OP

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If they give it a KITT voice I'd probably use this. But would be better if they'd invest the resources on fixing the still-awful built-in navigation. šŸ˜†
100% that KITT voice will be available in the next few years.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

IMG_6306.jpeg
šŸ’Æ I love her drawing!

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I want the light moving left to right on the front bar. You can choose KITT or the Cylons or inspiration.

RivianDad2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Audi R8 V8, Toyota Prius
They should integrate it with the gear guard to tell people who get too close to back off and call the cops if they break in. The best scenes in Knight Rider were always when KITT would mess with people that got too close to the car.

• Haha

Sponsored

OP
OP

MWB

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

IMG_6306.jpeg
We watched Her last night. Solid flick. What a great actor Joaquin Phoenix is. But, yeah, we're not too many years away from humans falling in love with their AI's.

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

Indeed, Iā€™m very interested in how we sapiens adapt to no longer being the most intelligent species in the room.

Phoenix just keeps putting out great performances in uncommon films.

ā€œAlexa throw the movie HER on the living room TV and order me a pizza from that place I really like.ā€

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would prefer an A Team based assistant.

Sponsored

• Haha