Sponsored

Air Compressor is optional now?

dlbewley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV
Is the air compressor optional now?
I saw this note in the R1S owners’ manual. See screenshot below: “Air Compressor (if equipped)”

Rivian R1T R1S Air Compressor is optional now? IMG_7793
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It would make sense that in the future it is part of an off road or other package. It’s a cool feature but I bet the majority of owners rarely use it.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Shrug. Not that hard to add accessory air compressor to any car. Just need a 12V source (and mounting points). It’d be wise of them to make future products as modular as possible, so all accessories can be simple plug-n-play; be it on the assembly line or DIY (and aftermarket).

Last edited:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Ages ago, the accessory compressor was optional and part of a package. They decided within a few months to keep several items standard, such as tow hooks etc.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

With the higher base price of the S relative to the T, I could see them dropping the third row seats and compressor to offer a lower cost version that's only available with DM + Small battery and starts at the same price as the T.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It has said if equipped in the manual since I got my truck a year ago iirc.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

An adventure vehicle with no spare and no compressor to refill a tire after plugging it would be as bad as disabling a vehicle from driving if the parking brake fails. Oh wait... Never mind.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

An adventure vehicle with no spare and no compressor to refill a tire after plugging it would be as bad as disabling a vehicle from driving if the parking brake fails. Oh wait... Never mind.
Rivian doesn't have parking pawls in the drivetrains. Would you rather the vehicle roll away after getting out? Obviously your answer is yes with your attitude.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It has said if equipped in the manual since I got my truck a year ago iirc.
Yah, probably leaving door open for possible return of Explore trim. Doesn't mean it will happen. Economy, demand and company financials all play a part. But given today's prices on the R1 and the projected $40k start for R2... not a far stretch to justify re-introducing a lower trimmed R1.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I would rather be able to drive the thing out of the middle of nowhere instead of refusing to move because of the parking brake or the hood doesn't know it's closed. I'll happily stop on flat ground or get a rock to put under the wheel so I don't have to abandon and walk instead. Sometimes putting into gear will eventually creep has compression bleeds without a parking brake. In fact, if the hydraulic brakes fail, I'd like to limp it out on regen and vs versa. Cars needs two separate brakes systems for sure. Hydraulic, cable, electric or regen combination. My Audi has an electric parking/emergency brake. Our GX has a completely separate cable operated drum brake inside the rear discs. Been there in the middle of Mexico with a broken master cylinder on an fj40 and a poor parking brake. Drove all the way out just using low range and the parking brake. If a vehicle breaks, YES I want to be able to tow it back across a long dirt road without it spontaneously shifting into park refusing to move. If one EV motor fails I want to drive it out on the others.

That is absolutely 100% my attitude. As a technical diver I can't imagine a system where, say a breathing regulator fails and then my gas gets switched off because, well it's loosing air and we can't have that; never mind you need to breathe. Break out the smartphone and call someone. That's the world we live in I guess. Last night this girl sat in front of me in her Dodge charger for about five minutes idling while I waited for her; as I was tandem blocked in. Finally the Valet who had parked her car came to assist because she didn't know how to release the parking brake but had managed to find the hood release. Rivian owners are super adventurous akin to Jeep and Subaru owners from what I've seen here. They want more.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I would rather be able to drive the thing out of the middle of nowhere instead of refusing to move because of the parking brake or the hood doesn't know it's closed. I'll happily stop on flat ground or get a rock to put under the wheel so I don't have to abandon and walk instead. Sometimes putting into gear will eventually creep has compression bleeds without a parking brake. In fact, if the hydraulic brakes fail, I'd like to limp it out on regen and vs versa. Cars needs two separate brakes systems for sure. Hydraulic, cable, electric or regen combination. My Audi has an electric parking/emergency brake. Our GX has a completely separate cable operated drum brake inside the rear discs. Been there in the middle of Mexico with a broken master cylinder on an fj40 and a poor parking brake. Drove all the way out just using low range and the parking brake. If a vehicle breaks, YES I want to be able to tow it back across a long dirt road without it spontaneously shifting into park refusing to move. If one EV motor fails I want to drive it out on the others.

That is absolutely 100% my attitude. As a technical diver I can't imagine a system where, say a breathing regulator fails and then my gas gets switched off because, well it's loosing air and we can't have that; never mind you need to breathe. Break out the smartphone and call someone. That's the world we live in I guess. Last night this girl sat in front of me in her Dodge charger for about five minutes idling while I waited for her; as I was tandem blocked in. Finally the Valet who had parked her car came to assist because she didn't know how to release the parking brake but had managed to find the hood release. Rivian owners are super adventurous akin to Jeep and Subaru owners from what I've seen here. They want more.
Please stay on private lands then, don't share your dangerous shit with me. I am not willing to be part of your experiment.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Please stay on private lands then, don't share your dangerous shit with me. I am not willing to be part of your experiment.
Never sent you an invite to begin with. Sounds like you're the one more comfortable on private lands. Some people are web wheelers and that's all good. Cars break down. Shit, as you say, happens and I don't want to stranded for no good reason, flat tire experiment or not.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Shrug. Not that hard to add accessory air compressor to any car. Just need a 12V source (and mounting points). It’d be wise of them to make future products as modular as possible, so all accessories can be simple plug-n-play; be it on the assembly line or DIY (and aftermarket).
For those of us who have been around a minute, we've already got a portable compressor.
Sponsored