Sponsored

Aftermarket Tires / Wheels?

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
With an R1S I will need to buy a full size spare wheel+tire in addition to the Rivian compact spare kit. Since it sounds like this isn’t going to be available through Rivian any time soon, Is there anything out there which will come close enough to fitting to permit at least a limp to cell coverage journey? I’d settle for a utility wheel (aesthetics don’t count so the wheel could be black steel, fluorescent pink alloy, or somewhere in between) and the tire needs to be capable of supporting the vehicle and close enough in rolling diameter to maintain clearance. I always keep my vehicles on stock wheels so this is uncharted territory for me.
Some earlier RAMs have 20x8 spare steel wheels in the same bolt pattern, but with the offset, they'd stick out an inch past the stock wheels. The RAM spares have an offset around 19-20mm and a hub/center bore of 78.1mm from what I'm seeing. This is the closest I've found, but the Rivian wheels/tires sit pretty flush with the body work, so no clue how much room you'd have without hitting the fenders.
Sponsored

dzmconstr

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S 75D
Offset and backspacing are both important WRT fitting over brakes.
wheeloffset.jpg

yes full size spare is identical wheel and tire. Can do a 5 wheel rotation this way. So your tires will last 20% longer!
But then you have to buy 5.
Dzm

nromz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
K5 Blazer
Occupation
Enginerd
The offset really isn’t a function of the caliper it’s where the barrel is going to be centered in the wheel well. Too much offset and you may rub the inside on the suspension or steering at full articulation. Too little (or negative) offset and your steering center will not be in the right part of the contact patch or the outside edge of the tire may touch the fender. Spoke design will dictate if it clears the caliper (but that doesn’t exactly show up in the wheel specs). Someone will have to have to experiment a little to see what fits.
Ken
The offset really isn’t a function of the caliper it’s where the barrel is going to be centered in the wheel well. Too much offset and you may rub the inside on the suspension or steering at full articulation. Too little (or negative) offset and your steering center will not be in the right part of the contact patch or the outside edge of the tire may touch the fender. Spoke design will dictate if it clears the caliper (but that doesn’t exactly show up in the wheel specs). Someone will have to have to experiment a little to see what fits.
KenJ is spot on. It’s called the king pin angle and it is critical to handling performance not on dry and snowy conditions. You have to match the offset nearly exactly to get the force vectors going through the right spot of the contact patch, especially with Rivian’s unique suspension system (I know the image below is a two arm linkage where Rivian has a tweak on it both front and rear). And, yes, of course the spokes have to be shaped properly to not interfere with the caliper housing.

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Tires / Wheels? 1658590915997

zapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have reached out to Method and asked if they have any R1T 20inch wheels coming out anytime soon. Answer: Nothing plannend yet :/

I really like their 305 NV all black wheels. Hope they'll do a version with R1T specs in the near future..

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development

Sponsored

WhidbeyIsland

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Lexus RX350 & 2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired!
Those wheels looks really nice. I like the color on color center Rivian logo'd hub. Wondering how they compare in price to Rivian's $3,500 cost for the 20" wheel s& AT's...?

TeamPJ

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2006 Cadillac XLR-V
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Gabe1aron

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Nurse Anesthetist
Waiting until I can find wheels that aren’t so ugly and don‘t cost $5000-6000

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Interesting, much more reasonable pricing.

Too bad they don't have the ability to show you what the wheels will look like on and actual R1T.
Yeah, those look good, but you're still looking at ~$4500 and we don't even know for sure if they'll fit. I really wish we could just go buy a set of 4 20" with TPMS and tires direct from Rivian.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Interesting, much more reasonable pricing.

Too bad they don't have the ability to show you what the wheels will look like on and actual R1T.
I did the fitment and worked with the design for these wheels and they are on my personal R1T today. Better fitment than OEM, weight is 12lbs total less and for 5,000 miles they've been amazing. Rivian does sell factory 20's for $1550 each....it's just difficult to find them.

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Tires / Wheels? IMG20220603162142
Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Tires / Wheels? IMG20220603161813

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ Wow!!! Sweet wheels... makes the R1T look rugged.

Too bad those are not a factory option :(
Sponsored