First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Looks like they did an update video after Ryan Huber LOL. Good on them to give it another go, but no real new info, just an interesting background listen

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

For those who already have their Rivians, any thoughts on this? It seems that you can only take your hands off the wheel for two seconds. Is this correct? And do you have to keep your hands at 10 and 2? I realize that the system isnā€™t exactly up to the same standards as Teslaā€™s autopilot, but is it really as bad as he seemed to think it was?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
For those who already have their Rivians, any thoughts on this? It seems that you can only take your hands off the wheel for two seconds. Is this correct? And do you have to keep your hands at 10 and 2? I realize that the system isnā€™t exactly up to the same standards as Teslaā€™s autopilot, but is it really as bad as he seemed to think it was?
It's more than 2 sec. But only like 5. And I can put my hands anywhere on the wheel I want.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I believe thereā€™s a sensor around the entire wheel because I rest my hand anywhere and it will stay on. But yeah itā€™s definitely more than two seconds, for me Iā€™ve gone without 10 seconds without touching the wheel so itā€™s not always consistent

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I use my knee a lot, works just fine šŸ•ŗšŸ¼

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've had no issues resting my hand anywhere on the wheel and the capacitive sensor is generally quite good. Certainly not "10 and 2."

Two seconds seems dramatic but it definitely doesn't like you to let go for more than a short period before a reminder.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Just a general question about these advanced safety features (my current cars have none). How do they do at seeing motorcycles? I was wondering about that while he was describing the radar and cameras the vehicle has. With the smaller size I wonder if the ADAS systems are good at noticing them and reacting to them appropriately.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It's more than 2 sec. But only like 5. And I can put my hands anywhere on the wheel I want.
I guess it depends on what we're measuring to - first visual warning or full shutdown of the system or somewhere in between, but mine is actually right at 10 seconds before any notification at all, which is a pop up at bottom of driver display telling me to keep my hands on the wheel.

Also, I find the capacity touch required to be more liberal than my eTron. That car needed two touch points when using your hand, so resting fingers on the wheel didn't count, you'd have to touch the other side of the wheel with another finger. However, just touching the top of your thigh to the bottom of the wheel also counted, even through pants, so not sure why the discrepancy.

Rivian just needs any touch at all, so resting a couple fingers on the wheel works. I think it's the perfect amount to be comfortable on long drives.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Just a general question about these advanced safety features (my current cars have none). How do they do at seeing motorcycles? I was wondering about that while he was describing the radar and cameras the vehicle has. With the smaller size I wonder if the ADAS systems are good at noticing them and reacting to them appropriately.
Pretty good in my use. If anything, it thinks more things are motorcycles than actually are. For instance, it seems to think anything with a tailgate mounted spare is a motorcycle, like Jeeps.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Umm, I'm watching now, and he doesn't even have Driver+ engaged despite thinking he does, it's just normal adaptive cruise. So, there you go.....pretty embarrassing.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
This is where GM/SuperCruise eye tracking works best, allows a completely hands free experience without having to touch the wheel as long as the vehicle detects you are looking ahead.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
There is a lot wrong with this review. Out Of Spec did a proper review of Driver+; watch it instead:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It's quite good in my experience. It always makes me nervous when I have ACC with a motorcycle in front of me, but so far Rivian's system seems to be more cautious when that's the case and it has identified a motorcycle. Could also just be my perception.

So far I haven't had it not identify a motor cycle. It does have a tendency to think that a vehicle two cars in front of my is a motorcycle though. Which doesn't really have any practical impact.
Sponsored