A Shot at Rivian? Scout President says Scout will have “real buttons”

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
I know people hate on the vents, but I find it very convenient to be able to turn off the rear or passenger vents by just asking Alexa to tapping a few buttons on the screen. No way to do this in not other cars.
I will never have Alexa in my car. Ever.

Rivian R1T R1S A Shot at Rivian? Scout President says Scout will have “real buttons” 1000007799
Sponsored

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

I’m puzzled. I must be missing something. Please, what is so important or useful about being able to view the odometer while driving?

In my experience the odometer is one of the least used pieces of information available In a vehicle. For the uses I have made of that information it can easily wait to be read while stopped after I end my trip or before I begin a new trip.
Odometer as well as tripometers are *actual* values vs *estimated* values such as miles left. Road trip anyone?

Regardless, helluva lot more useful than 3D animations of other vehicles and pedestrians which is a waste of display space and software engineering effort.

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
Thanks big corp…can’t wait to touch them “real buttons” let’s make sure we have a safe word when they stop working.

Last edited:

gingerjet

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'll take Audi *real* leather over pleather (aka vegan leather) every time and I don't have to look down at my Q7 physical controls to use them AND a quick glance at the odometer requires ZERO clicks!
I’ve owned 3 Audis and not once did I think “these controls are designed well” while I owned them.

But BMWs were worse. Don’t get me started on Lexus. It’s like car companies are just universally bad at UI design.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

I’ve owned 3 Audis and not once did I think “these controls are designed well” while I owned them.

But BMWs were worse. Don’t get me started on Lexus. It’s like car companies are just universally bad at UI design.
Well at least the Q5 and Q7 that I owned had *simple* effective buttons and knob which I didn't have to look down at to use which is IMPOSSIBLE to do w/ a touchscreen esp. one whose user experience requires multiple click to drill down to find simple things.

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Physical buttons are so yesterday. Touchscreens and voice commands are a much better implementation of vehicle controls, compared to old school buttons. They allow for software reconfiguration which is a major step forward from buttons that are locked into one function.
Bologna.

You could easily put 3-5 buttons/knobs adjacent to a screen and program them to do different things based on what's on the screen. Pretty straightforward and makes each button have nearly infinite uses. If each can turn and press, you've got a ton of functionality that's easier to use without staring at the screen. Put screen controls on the steering wheel thumb buttons so you can click to the screen you need with barely a glance and then use the button that corresponds to your needs with little more than a second or third glance.

Like Scout will have...

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I can’t wait to see the dashboard on the new Scout. Physical buttons will be welcomed by the typical car buyer. I feel the car buying public is burned out and frustrated looking for commonly used items in a display screen.

Unfortunately I suspect that 98% of Scout’s purchased will never go off-road. Typical duties will be a mall crawler, car pool pickup vehicle and the Starbucks coffee pickup line.
Sponsored

Last edited: