Sponsored

A good Service Center Experience on a major issue (R1S was undriveable)

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

We picked up our R1S from the South San Francisco SC on Sept. 16th. Driving home that day, the air suspension seemed extremely noisy. Was this normal, we wondered? We soon found that it likely wasn't (you could hear the sound of air being released in Kneel Mode from 100 yards away). We got a tip that perhaps a muffler wasn't installed on air suspension correctly and that the issue could likely be addressed by a mobile service technician, so we booked an at home mobile appointment for October 19th. That day, the mobile technician was able to quickly see that a) no, the muffling equipment was installed fine and that b) the air suspension was likely failing. Sure enough, as he and I were testing the system by going back in forth between Sport/Lowest and All-Terrain/Highest, the air suspension system literally completely failed. The next day, on Friday October 20th after the mobile technician had submitted his notes, I called the main Rivian Service appointment and got an appointment..for November 30th. When they towed my R1S away a few days later on October 23rd, I was thinking that I wouldn't see my car for 5 or 6 weeks.

Later last week, I was able to see from the app that they had moved my car from the parking lot into the SC and had begun to charge it. Then, there wasn't any activity until a couple of days ago, when I was able to see the various listed maintenance issues in the app being checked off as complete slowly but surely, and yesterday we got the call to say that the car was ready, with a completely new compressor and air suspension system. We picked it up today (November 3rd) - almost a month before the appointment was even supposed to begin - and thankfully the air suspension is now like it was supposed to be all along.

From my experience, I think it's pretty clear that Rivian is prioritizing repairing undriveable vehicles. Amongst other things, they were paying for my rental car, and the sooner they're not paying for that, the better for Rivian's expenses. I certainly empathize with those of you who are waiting to get more minor issues - but issues nevertheless - fixed, but I'm really glad they prioritized getting me my R1S back!
Sponsored

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

My first appointment (for minor issues) was about 65 days out for Costa Mesa SC. My second appointment is about 80 days out (for minor issues they couldn't address in the first appointment). All in all, been feeling fortunate to not have any functional / drivability issues (knock on wood). Absolutely fine with how long it takes, new company, factory rushing units out to meet numbers, SCs slammed, just expected.

With that said, I can see how folks coming from other luxury brands might be chafed. Picked up a new Lexus RX a few months before the Rivian and it was spotless at pickup. However, the front dash trim did fall apart soon after. Didn't bother me so I just waited until the first 5000 mile service. I was able to schedule the service two days beforehand, plenty of openings and they got me in and out in two hours. In those two hours, they did the 5000 mile service, fixed the trim and a tierod that was causing the car to drift right.