First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
For those of you who have your trucks and are in the area of the country under the heat dome, how is the AC performance? Is it cold or is it struggling to keep up?
Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Been working great for me - left last week and Iā€™m traveling thru Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson seeing temps of 100 up to 117.. while chat info g Iā€™m seeing the replay 120 more than once - Iā€™m not sure it registers higher!

A/C has been outstanding - rarely need the fan higher than ā€˜3ā€™ (goes to 7). And tempest to 63 seems good today on my drive from Tucson to Vegas.
Btw - Iā€™m not used to this heat as I live in thr SF bay where it rarely goes above 85.

bbqdevil

First Name
Jef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 LR, Rivian R1T on order
Occupation
Director, Design and Video
It takes a few minutes to cool the cabin, but once it does, it has no issues keeping it cool. The ventilated seats help a great deal as well (no more cold front, hot back issues).

I'm in the SF Bay Area as well, but in the South Bay where it does tend to get hotter. Driven on more than one day that was over 95Ā° so far and it did just fine.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
huh, my experience doesn't match your guys. Wonder if mine's bad. Even in mid 80s Norcal weather, the AC cranks loudly and barely is enough to keep the cabin cool. Best I can get is to get some cold air blowing directly on my face while the rest of the cabin feels warm

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
huh, my experience doesn't match your guys. Wonder if mine's bad. Even in mid 80s Norcal weather, the AC cranks loudly and barely is enough to keep the cabin cool. Best I can get is to get some cold air blowing directly on my face while the rest of the cabin feels warm
You would not be the first report of a Rivian requiring AC repair.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Not normal. Take it in for service.

OP
OP
Alchemy8279

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
I will be moving from a 4Runner that froze me out today when the heat index was 110Ā°. Hoping for similar performance from the R1T.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I can actually answer this question ;)..........We've already had a few 112F+ days here....I would say the AC is not quite as efficient overall as my Tundra (what a robust truck!), but there is one very important area where it outperforms the Tundra and that is when the vehicle is stopped!! When in stop n go or when the vehicle is at a stop light the AC performance is better than the Tundra (IMO).

6,000 miles on this thing already and I love the fire out of the R1T!!!

Nermal

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Miata, 2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Q5
Haven't had in over 90 heat yet. The fans do buzz pretty loudly at high speed. Does everyone experience that?

As an aside, best AC I ever had - 1977 Triumph TR7. I had to re/upgrade wire the controls (I know. Unimaginable for a car of such electrical reliability) but after that, it must have had a sedan scale system for a 2 seater. 95 degree day I could get where I would see my breath in there.

OP
OP
Alchemy8279

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
I can actually answer this question ;)..........We've already had a few 112F+ days here....I would say the AC is not quite as efficient overall as my Tundra (what a robust truck!), but there is one very important area where it outperforms the Tundra and that is when the vehicle is stopped!! When in stop n go or when the vehicle is at a stop light the AC performance is better than the Tundra (IMO).

6,000 miles on this thing already and I love the fire out of the R1T!!!
Thanks for that comparison.
Canā€™t wait to take delivery of my R1T!

Sponsored

Morpheus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3MR, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Servant Leader
Took delivery today in TX, was 104. So far, and I've driven about 80 miles taking my kids and coworkers on rides, AC set to 67 with fan on Auto and it was plenty comfortable. I also appreciated the ventilated seats which are super nice!

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

It sounds like it will be an improvement over the weak sauce AC in my otherwise rock solid 2009 Honda Civic.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Pre conditioning the cabin works great for me. But the air vents never seems to be pointed at the right location. I'm constantly adjusting them. Moving them in the screen has a noticeable delay a lot of the time too. Sometimes adjusting them does nothing at all and I have to turn off the zone and turn it back on before I see the louvers move.

I'm kind of sick of submitting service tickets because they never seem to do anything after the initial call. Everything is just software bugs apparently :confused:

I'm often hot in the R1T driving around SoCal but the truck does cool down eventually. Pre-conditioning via the app helps a lot.

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I agree with the vents seem to always been in a different position. I have a loaner and I can't pre condition my cab when I'm ready to leave. The cabin is so hot after sitting at work for 9 plus hours in 90 degrees + and those black seats are so hot to the touch too. I can't touch the main display either because it's so hot. I cant lay my phone on the passenger seat beacuse it got too hot. I do use a front windshield shade too. It has made the decision for me to get the roof tinted with ceramic. As long as the air is on recirculate, it works well and eventually cools down the cabin. I turn the air down after about 15 mins. It does sound like a airplane taking off with that fan running though.
Sponsored