TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Anyone attempted to charge using the portable charger and a NEMA 6-20 p. I was thinking I might use this charger.
PFCTART NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter Cord Compatible with EV, 30 Amp Dryer to 50 Amp EV for Level 2 Charging https://a.co/d/489ffoe

But there are comments indicating it might not work given it doesn’t have a ground (Tesla). Anyone had experience or been able to charge successfully.
Sponsored

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I was wondering about that same thing.
I think it should work if they sell products like this? Someone who has tried it could chime in.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Play it safe and get one of the other options on Amazon?

Parkworld 60141 EV Adapter Cord NEMA 6-20P to 14-50R (ONLY for Tesla UMC or Other EV Charging, NOT for RV) (18 inch) https://a.co/d/77NSQhx

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Pilot
I would NOT attempt to use that adapter. The NEMA 6-20P outlet (and wiring/CB) is rated to 20A, and the Rivian portable charger with the NEMA 14-50R plug will try to pull 32A through. Best case you'll trip the breaker. As I understand it, the Tesla charging cable can be manually limited to 12A, so that's why that adapter can be used, this feature is not available with the Rivian portable charger but can be done on the wall charger. My plan is to do a temporary install of the Rivian wall charger, set the dip switches to 12A limit and wire it to my own 6-20P plug to use in the outlet. I'm moving in a couple years so it doesn't make sense for me to invest in a 60A breaker and 6AWG wiring for best use of the wall charger.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Id just buy a cheap $120 20 amp 240 charger with the plug already on it and leave your mobile cord in the truck.

Two years is a long time though. Unless it's over $700, install a 14-50

Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I would NOT attempt to use that adapter. The NEMA 6-20P outlet (and wiring/CB) is rated to 20A, and the Rivian portable charger with the NEMA 14-50R plug will try to pull 32A through. Best case you'll trip the breaker. As I understand it, the Tesla charging cable can be manually limited to 12A, so that's why that adapter can be used, this feature is not available with the Rivian portable charger but can be done on the wall charger. My plan is to do a temporary install of the Rivian wall charger, set the dip switches to 12A limit and wire it to my own 6-20P plug to use in the outlet. I'm moving in a couple years so it doesn't make sense for me to invest in a 60A breaker and 6AWG wiring for best use of the wall charger.
The Rivian Mobile Charger can pull 32A but all you have to do is turn down the amp draw on the charging menu in the truck to whatever you want…I just did this when charging with a 30A dryer plug on a road trip with an extension cable.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
The Rivian Mobile Charger can pull 32A but all you have to do is turn down the amp draw on the charging menu in the truck to whatever you want…I just did this when charging with a 30A dryer plug on a road trip with an extension cable.
Right, that's what you do with all receptacles with ratings less than 40A when using an adapter pigtail. You can readily find adapter pigtails that will go from a NEMA 6-20 (or 6-30, or 14-30) male plug to a NEMA 14-50 female which the Rivian portable charger can then plug into (this is a good site for those: https://www.evseadapters.com/)

BUT THEN on the Rivian's charging screen, dial down the amps to 80% of the breaker rating. So if plugging into a 30A breaker, charge at 24A. 20A breaker, charge at 16A.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Right, that's what you do with all receptacles with ratings less than 40A when using an adapter pigtail. You can readily find adapter pigtails that will go from a NEMA 6-20 (or 6-30, or 14-30) male plug to a NEMA 14-50 female which the Rivian portable charger can then plug into (this is a good site for those: https://www.evseadapters.com/)

BUT THEN on the Rivian's charging screen, dial down the amps to 80% of the breaker rating. So if plugging into a 30A breaker, charge at 24A. 20A breaker, charge at 16A.
Do you have to do this every time you plug in?

Thinking of converting a condo garage outlet to nema 6-20 since I don't need a ton of charge, but hoping I can avoid doing this every time

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yes you do don't do this at your permanent charging station you can get an appropriate size charger off Amazon for 200 bucks
Sponsored