RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I know this is a very sore spot with Tesla for some people but does anyone know if Rivian will have a similar stance on 3rd party parts availability and service? Like will they sell parts and provide service manuals to non-Rivian service centers, or will it all be locked down like it currently is for Tesla?

Not something I've seen any mention of (I did try a few searches before posting this) but something I'm curious about. I highly suspect I already know what the answer to this will be, I'm just hoping I'm wrong :idea:
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I know this is a very sore spot with Tesla for some people but does anyone know if Rivian will have a similar stance on 3rd party parts availability and service? Like will they sell parts and provide service manuals to non-Rivian service centers, or will it all be locked down like it currently is for Tesla?

Not something I've seen any mention of (I did try a few searches before posting this) but something I'm curious about. I highly suspect I already know what the answer to this will be, I'm just hoping I'm wrong :idea:
The Rivian Owners Manual does state that individuals will be allowed access to the Service Manual. I can't speak to the availability of parts, however.

Rivian R1T R1S 3rd Party Service Options? 1633026598088

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
One other consideration:

Will my warranty be void if I take my vehicle to a non-Rivian service location?
Although Rivian does not require all service or repairs be made at a Rivian-authorized repair facility, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty may be voided due to improper maintenance, service or repair.

A full list of warranty exceptions, exclusions and limitations will be located in the Warranty Guide prior to production vehicles being available for purchase.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
One other consideration:

Will my warranty be void if I take my vehicle to a non-Rivian service location?
Although Rivian does not require all service or repairs be made at a Rivian-authorized repair facility, the New Vehicle Limited Warranty may be voided due to improper maintenance, service or repair.

A full list of warranty exceptions, exclusions and limitations will be located in the Warranty Guide prior to production vehicles being available for purchase.
AKA: Caveat Emptor

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
One other consideration
AKA: Caveat Emptor
The key word in that Rivian quote is "improper maintenance, service or repair". The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents any manufacturer from voiding a warranty simply because you procure "paid" service outside of their own network. You must maintain the vehicle to their standards, but you have a right to do that yourself, or with a provider of your choice. As long as you maintain the vehicle in accordance with their official maintenance schedule, then you're fine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Again, nobody's denying you the right to use a 3rd party, but it's not without risk. With a 5-year comprehensive warranty there shouldn't be an immediate need for 3rd party service and routing maintenance should be minimal.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Just to pull it back, I'm definitely thinking/looking at this from a "What is Rivian's Philosphy" - are they going to allow parts to be bought, unlike certain competitors? Releasing the service manual is nice but without parts, it might be a bit of a red herring. I suspect any basic maintenance would be fairly easy to do, but genuine 3rd party repairs (suspension components for example as I know battery packs are somewhat sacred it seems) are not feasible without part availability.

I know the current answer seems to be - we don't know. But I'm curious to see where they land on this less from a hard "technical" POV, but if they are going to support a robust service/repair initiative for 3rd parties or trend toward only 1st party options for everything.

Offering the manual sounds good, but there needs to be some more meat behind that to make it more than lip service.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian already has a path for third party collision centers to become certified. I don't know any details about it at all. I'm sure something like this will eventually show up for other out of warranty repairs. If it's not collision related they will probably want to do the service for the time being.
Sponsored