Sponsored

330 miles...on Christmas morning...NJ to Western NY...in single-digit temps?

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Agree this is probably not the best time to push it.

In general, I recommend investing in a thick gauge extension cord for traveling, with an assortment of adapters. I have a 50 ft 6 awg cord that was about $250. If your hosts are amenable, you can get a nice chuck of electrons overnight from an existing 240v commonly found for dryers, ranges, hot water tanks, or outdoor hottubs (the best). Of course it can handle a trickle charger too.
I ended up buying a 10 awg cord. Would that work with an adapter for a typical dryer plug? My dryer plug at home is actually just a 120v. I’m getting the info for my in-laws but today.
Sponsored

krikiter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13 CTS-V Wagon 6MT, 22 R1T, 22 R1S
I don't think I can count on an outlet at the house that wouldn't require an extension cord with the portable charger, which Rivian doesn't recommend. Has anyone used portable charger with an extension cord for an extended period of time?
Yes. I trickle charged on 110V using an extension cord for 6 days straight without issue. I'd also recommend putting it in 'shipping mode' to minimize vampire drain.

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

Just got back from a round trip starting in Charlottesville Va and ending in Lake Luzerne NY. ABout 600 miles each way. On the way up had all of the bad weather, slushy freeways and temps were in the high20s to low thirties. Snowy and cold in Lake Luzerne. Pre-heated the vehicle regularly and had charging stops planned about every 200 miles just in case.
Overall efficiency was 1.8 miles/kWh. Truck performed well and had no issues with the Electrify America stations along the way. As for the Shell charging, before you are on the road, load up their app and have it ready to go. Although the stations are supposed to take credit cards without the app, I found that many of the credit card boxes are not functioning in the cold and you might want to have the app ready.
Also totally agree on road trips you want to plan to charge up to 80% and then go to the next stop from there.

On another note as to 110 charging - Have been fully EV since 2018 and with regular beach trips in there have found that you can easily charge with an extension cord (totally recommend the cord previously shown from amazon) once you are at the place you are sitting mostly parked at for days at at time. My tesla model s plaid and my Audi E-tron could get a full charge of of that in a few days - but note that the R1T has a much larger battery so although you may be getting a decent number of kWh over those days it will be a lesser percentage of the battery.

You really do need the apps in your phone as the nav in the R1T isn't exactly awesome. Its workable but does not let you route multiple stops and still doesn't show all of your charging options. Whenever possible you want a station that is super fast (I never stop at anything under 150 on a road trip and prefer a 350 as multiple vehicles charging at once can affect the charge rate)

Be sure you have something to clean off the headlights and just accept that your front radar is going to get blocked by ice or snow. Have used aquapel on the headlights to make it harder for the ice to build up but that is just a stopgap measure - in real snow and or wet snow conditions it is going to build up and its a good idea to have something to get it off with when you stop to charge.
Also recommend having de-icer windshield fluid topped off and used frequently to help prevent the wiper blades from freezing up from the snow and ice that piles up in the gap between the back of the frunk lid and the windshield (i.e. I am using the washers just as much to stop that from happening as I am to clean the windows off) and being an old boyscout I even keep an extra jug of the de-icer in the gear tunnel.

Side note recommendations - have a solid jacket with a hood for when you charge - charging stations are not covered at this point in time and you will have to stand there in the weather. I also keep an umbrella accessible in the cab for the same reason. Most Electrify America stations are at the far or middle part of the parking lot next to a wal mart and being able to throw stuff on, start charging and then walk inside the store for restroom and a look at potential snacks without freezing adds to the enjoyment of the charging break.

None of the stuff I am mentioning was a deal breaker for me on any of my road trips and as I am most often driving solo the regular stops to charge are actually kind of perfect for me wanting to get out of the car, stretch my legs and have a bite to eat. Personally, I say make it an adventure while you are on your own and get some comfort without the added stressor of family on board. Range anxiety is real but fades quickly - charger anxiety comes and goes based on the latest experience.

And my apologies if this is stuff you already know - no intention to sound like I am lecturing.

Rivian R1T R1S 330 miles...on Christmas morning...NJ to Western NY...in single-digit temps? IMG_7795

Rfan

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Blue, OC
Occupation
Education/Technology
Clubs

extension cord with the portable charger, which Rivian doesn't recommend.
I'm not aware that Rivian does not recommend using the portal charger they sell with the truck!? Where did you run across this information?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I'm not aware that Rivian does not recommend using the portal charger they sell with the truck!? Where did you run across this information?
They say don’t use an extension cord. But I believe what our forum friends are saying is a 10 Awg extension cord is fine.

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

They say don’t use an extension cord. But I believe what our forum friends are saying is a 10 Awg extension cord is fine.

Pretty much... I think they say that in the same way the bottle of Windex says "Don't spray in eyes." A total CYA move so that someone doesn't do something unbelievable and then sue them. As with all powered devices, the extension cord matters. So if you just think of the truck as the largest/biggest power draw/most expensive tool that you own, buy your extension cord accordingly.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
Yes. I trickle charged on 110V using an extension cord for 6 days straight without issue. I'd also recommend putting it in 'shipping mode' to minimize vampire drain.
I am in Whistler right now, where daytime high has been in -5F to -1F range. I am noticing Rivian can have pretty high vampire drain in such cold. Last two days I lost 7% and 9% respectively where car was just sitting idle! Gear guar is off. I am guessing the car still need to warm up the battery all the time to keep it in operating temperature for the batteries. I do recommend doing trickle charge if you can.

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
I ended up buying a 10 awg cord. Would that work with an adapter for a typical dryer plug? My dryer plug at home is actually just a 120v. I’m getting the info for my in-laws but today.
I dont think that 10 awg extension is rated for 240V.

Check the chart out.

I went with the 6 awg for a few reasons:

Future proof
Safer especially when staying with reluctant or nervous hosts
Less energy loss
Flexibilty (RV, camping)
I tend to overdue things

The disadvantage is the weight of the cord. Its also more expensive, but should recoup some cost from decreased loss over the life of the cord.

Also dont forget to dial down your amps in the infotainment system for additional safety.

Rivian R1T R1S 330 miles...on Christmas morning...NJ to Western NY...in single-digit temps? B5421ADD-9B91-4BBA-81E6-36FD6B5DCAE1

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I am in Whistler right now, where daytime high has been in -5F to -1F range. I am noticing Rivian can have pretty high vampire drain in such cold. Last two days I lost 7% and 9% respectively where car was just sitting idle! Gear guar is off. I am guessing the car still need to warm up the battery all the time to keep it in operating temperature for the batteries. I do recommend doing trickle charge if you can.
as some others have said, wonder if putting in shipping mode would help. also, had no idea it ever got that cold in whistler!

Sponsored

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I dont think that 10 awg extension is rated for 240V.

Check the chart out.

I went with the 6 awg for a few reasons:

Future proof
Safer especially when staying with reluctant or nervous hosts
Less energy loss
Flexibilty (RV, camping)
I tend to overdue things

The disadvantage is the weight of the cord. Its also more expensive, but should recoup some cost from decreased loss over the life of the cord.

Also dont forget to dial down your amps in the infotainment system for additional safety.

B5421ADD-9B91-4BBA-81E6-36FD6B5DCAE1.jpeg
that's great info @RivianDeac
of course now I wish I got the 6. I don't think I'm going to need it this weekend, maybe I will cancel and search for a 6 awg. Do you have any links to share on the adapters you got? Finally, last question for you or anyone else who may know...when pulling from a normal 120v outlet, what should I set the amps to on the infotainment system? in the instruction manual it says the current on 120v is 12 amps. I assume I should set it around that level? It also says it draws 1.3 kw. Is that 1.3Kw per hour? if that were true it sounds like 12 hours of charging should easily cover vampire drain, hopefully that's true in the cold. I'm just looking to stay flat while parked for a couple of days.

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
Ha although funny enough, and this is some good luck if available, I'll probably go to the gym a couple of times while I'm there and there happens to be a Tesla destination charger very close to the gym. I do have an adapter so that's great news.

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
I haven't had a gas car since 2009, so all of our road trips (we have been cross-country multiple times) have been in EVs. So I'd encourage you to take the EV - I really prefer driving them.

However, cold weather does make a difference. Your range will definitely drop - air is denser, the battery will release less energy (unless it heats itself - which takes energy), and HVAC can use quite a bit of energy as well. I'd still make the trip in the EV; I'd just make sure that charging stops (at least backup spots) aren't too far apart.

While I agree that 3 days on 120V (with a high-quality extension cord) can work well in good weather, you might find it not helping at all in cold weather. My Rivian Max Pack isn't here yet, but other EVs I've had warm their batteries up before charging them. With a large battery in very cold temperatures, all of the available power on a 120V 15A circuit may be used to warm the battery, with very little or even nothing left to charge it. I'd plug in while there, but not count on getting extra range that way.
I was plugged into 120v at work for 10 hours on Monday. It was -20F (-32F with windchill!) to start and about 8F when I unplugged. I gained about 10kW net with 1.4kW to accessory and 0.4kW to cabin and battery temps.

OP
OP
jbronkoR1T

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
I was plugged into 120v at work for 10 hours on Monday. It was -20F (-32F with windchill!) to start and about 8F when I unplugged. I gained about 10kW net with 1.4kW to accessory and 0.4kW to cabin and battery temps.
that's great to hear. you just used the standard rivian portable charger, no extension cord etc? Per the earlier post in this thread, did you set the Amp level on the truck?

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
that's great to hear. you just used the standard rivian portable charger, no extension cord etc? Per the earlier post in this thread, did you set the Amp level on the truck?
Yes, I just have the provided Rivian portable charger plugged into a cord reel. The truck knows what to do. I just plug it in and ensure I get a green light before I walk away. My efficiency on the 68 mile drive was 1.57mi/kW at an average of 64mph on 21's.
Sponsored