Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Nice to have a heat pump, otherwise minor stuffs changes only. It would take 800v architecture, rear steering, better ride quality at low speed over broken pavements and FSD licensing to sell bunch of these. Otherwise it won’t sell
Moron
Sponsored

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yes, company insiders have confirmed this. Heat pump coming to all refreshed R1 vehicles
Cool, I would have assumed so but that info hasn't leaked yet.

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Nice to have a heat pump, otherwise minor stuffs changes only. It would take 800v architecture, rear steering, better ride quality at low speed over broken pavements and FSD licensing to sell bunch of these. Otherwise it won’t sell
Huh? Heat pump, great but not deal breaker, I bought my R1S Knowing this was coming in the"refresh" without a care. 800v architecture would be nice to future proof these, but very little value today. Ride quality is great in my opinion. I don't want FSD, better driver+ sure.
Most people who want, and can afford one of these either have it or have it planned on when they will. Improving range will only bring in people who don't understand range and need see a big number to feel good.

R2 is what will change everything for Rivian.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Improving range will only bring in people who don't understand range and need see a big number to feel good.
I think that’s a lot of people.

Also, range does matter. I have a use case where I need 130 miles regularly for an EV to be practical. Then I consider that it’ll be my only vehicle, so it has to occasionally do that in very cold weather. Also, if I want to treat the battery well, I am keeping it between, what, 10-80% charged. Then factor in 5-10 years of battery degradation….

Sponsored

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I think that’s a lot of people.
I agree, but that's also a problem because the # can never be high enough for those people. ~250 miles warm weather / ~180 cold weather with a minimum of 7.5kw (32a)home/office charging is more than enough for the majority of peoples true use cases. Even if that use case does 1 or 2 road trips, it really only adds 1 or 2 extra charging stops.

NeedSumCoffee

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Honestly glad the 21” option is being removed. It’s a weird size and tire options and prices suck. Would rather see them focus on 20” and 22” wheels.

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Quad/large), Maserati Ghibli Modena.
Occupation
Data Scientist
Improving range will only bring in people who don't understand range and need see a big number to feel good.
I hear this type of thinking often, and while I understand it, I don't see it as entirely accurate.

I'm in a qm/large r1t, took delivery in May of 2023. We drive from Newport Beach to Mammoth every other weekend in the winter. While we can make the large pack work, it would be really nice to have the max pack range. Granted, most people don't drive 700 total miles every other weekend, but for us it would really help.

Both of us work from home, either mostly or completely, so we don't need much range for anything other than Mammoth trips.

I do believe that most people don't need nearly as much range as they think they do. If we lived near Denver and did our weekends on I70 it would probably be different. However, my guess is that Rivian owners tend to have bigger range needs than most EV owners. My guess is that this is a group that wants to make lots of outdoor trip, and this does require range.
Sponsored