Sponsored

2022.35 OTA software update rumors?

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I’ve never heard that term. What is “butt in the air driving”?
When backing up with a trailer (boat in my case), I need to look backwards. This causes my weight to shift off the seat and the vehicle automatically stops. Easily the most frustrating “feature” of the truck for me.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
When backing up with a trailer (boat in my case), I need to look backwards. This causes my weight to shift off the seat and the vehicle automatically stops. Easily the most frustrating “feature” of the truck for me.
Do you have your seatbelt on when doing so?

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

With the weather cooling off and having to park outdoors I would really love to have more robust options for pre-heating the car. Let me a pick a temp, turn seat heaters/coolers on etc.. via the app. Even better would be to set a schedule so I don't have to remember to pre-warm before I take off in the morning.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
My request: charge by timing

Given how large this battery is, even with level 2 40A at home a substantial charge can take a long time. Given I have time of use billing with the electrical company, would like to have car determine when it needs to start charging to finish by a certain time. My Tesla does this and it’s clutch. If it needs to charge during partial-peak it can, but only if it really needs like an empty to full charge to be ready early in the morning.

Sponsored

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
Where’s @SteelersFan? He was on the beta track by accident. Seen any new updates come in?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Less rumor, more wishlist for me here.
Youtube/steaming, and continuing to improve DCFC.

My hot take is I don't think you can actualy hit the 140 miles in 20 minute claim they advertise on the website based on EPA range with current software.
I would like to see the charging speeds improve too, they start to drop of in the 20% region and then again in the 60% if I recall and this is much slower than Audi or Hyundai do in those regions of the battery pack. Hopefully they continue to improve the speed of charging to the 80% mark.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I really want a battery state of charge graph when you put a destination into the navigation. Similar to Tesla. It's one of the most useful displays for keeping track of your expected battery level when reaching your destination.

I would also like the trip computer to not include vampire drain, or at least keep it as a separate metric. A history of trips would be great as well. My Audi E-tron kept a log of every trip, the kWh used, and the efficiency. You could access the log through the phone app or in the car.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
One more item. Access all of the music on your phone through the music screen.

CarPlay would be great for certain things like music, but there might be a nice in between. The current music screen does display the play list being played, but unfortunately you can't browse music on your phone. You need to either open your phone or use Siri.

My Polestar, prior to adding CarPlay, allowed you to access all of the music on your phone. So you could at least browse music by several categories: artist, song, playlists, etc. This was really nice because you didn't need to open your phone.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I would like to see the charging speeds improve too, they start to drop of in the 20% region and then again in the 60% if I recall and this is much slower than Audi or Hyundai do in those regions of the battery pack. Hopefully they continue to improve the speed of charging to the 80% mark.
Assuming he truck doesn't derate due to temps, it slowly increases as voltage increases from 0% to about 50% (constantly between about 190 and 220kw). Above 50 it starts dropping off roughly linearly to 54kw at 85%. Above 70% is definitely a bit rough for the size of battery.

They can't really do much to improve it below 60% because they're at the limits of the CCS standard for amperage below 50%. But they can improve preconditioning, thermal management, and eventually potentially be less conservative with how hot they let the battery get before derating it. Their low heat tolerance and response to temp is the primary issue causing inconsistency in charging, because the truck seemingly always thermally throttles with any charge starting below say... 20%.

Getting an 800v system should really help things whenever they improve the hardware with the dual motor variant.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Assuming he truck doesn't derate due to temps, it slowly increases as voltage increases from 0% to about 50% (constantly between about 190 and 220kw). Above 50 it starts dropping off roughly linearly to 54kw at 85%. Above 70% is definitely a bit rough for the size of battery.

They can't really do much to improve it below 60% because they're at the limits of the CCS standard for amperage below 50%. But they can improve preconditioning, thermal management, and eventually potentially be less conservative with how hot they let the battery get before derating it. Their low heat tolerance and response to temp is the primary issue causing inconsistency in charging, because the truck seemingly always thermally throttles with any charge starting below say... 20%.

Getting an 800v system should really help things whenever they improve the hardware with the dual motor variant.
Thanks for this response. Very helpful and I agree hopefully they become a bit less conservative (as more vehicles come out and they get more data there is hope) and that they improve the thermal management. I haven’t seen a good charging curve since the R1’s first came out and we have had OTAs since then.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for this response. Very helpful and I agree hopefully they become a bit less conservative (as more vehicles come out and they get more data there is hope) and that they improve the thermal management. I haven’t seen a good charging curve since the R1’s first came out and we have had OTAs since then.
Have you seen the charging curves Kyle did as part of his initial Rivian reviews? It's basically the same as his second one (when the 500A update went out), it's just more likely to follow the theoretical max longer.

Generally what I've seen with my truck is most chargers (generally ABB) will derate before the truck does. If you can find a good one that can sustain 500A for a long time, and you plug in below about 20%, the truck will likely throttle a bit eventually. On the last roadtrip I did, when I found a signet charger I happened to plug in around 13%, it pulled about 500amps through roughly 40%, and then started to derate slight. I unplugged at about 45%, which was when it had started slowing down due to thermals from 215kw-ish to 190ish. Not bad at all, but not ideal. After that, it pretty reliably follows the "ideal" curve that Kyle documented above 50%. That session is the best charging session I've had, I am also a little curious if my truck just doesn't precondition particularly well, but with the RIDE diagnostic menu locked down, I can't tell exactly what's going on anymore. It's honestly kind of frustrating.

I have talked with a couple of owners who swear they've been able to pull 500A without it throttling for that full time, but I haven't seen any actual documentation.

Reactions: Guy

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
One more item. Access all of the music on your phone through the music screen.

CarPlay would be great for certain things like music, but there might be a nice in between. The current music screen does display the play list being played, but unfortunately you can't browse music on your phone. You need to either open your phone or use Siri.

My Polestar, prior to adding CarPlay, allowed you to access all of the music on your phone. So you could at least browse music by several categories: artist, song, playlists, etc. This was really nice because you didn't need to open your phone.
+1. This is all I would use CarPlay for anyways and Rivian's app is so close to enough now. Just add that extra polish and I'll be happy as a clam.

kpquinnus

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T El Cap
Occupation
Sales
Simple timer feature, to delay re-locking(delay amount user selectable, 10, 20, 30, 60 seconds), after a PAAK unlock event.

I can't believe that I can walk up to vehicle, PAAK unlocks it, and by time I get close enough to hit the tail gate release or frunk release, it has already decided to lock itself. And then everybody in parking lot watching me try to get it to unlock again.
Yes, that happened to me several times. Its almost like a race to the button!