Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
In this thread, we've had people describing the LTX platinum with both increased and decreased efficiency. Considering their increased weight, they can't be more efficient than stock ATs, right?

This is really the only thing holding my order back.

Screenshot_20240204-213732.png
They can definitely be more efficient than the stock ATs if they have lower rolling resistance. Rolling resistance has a much bigger impact than weight.

That said, the ATs might actually have similar or lower rolling resistance since they were designed for the R1. Rolling resistance is impossible to know unless the tire manufacturers start rating them or a entity like Tire Rack tests them for that.

Generally tires designed to have low rolling resistance, like the ATs, will be more efficient than tires that are not. Tire manufacturers will say if a tire is designed for low rolling resistance, but still you don't know how good it is compared to others that are also marketed that way.

It is very frustrating. One day I think a standard will emerge to help us figure it out.

BTW, it is known that for every percent rolling resistance decreases, wet traction decreases by the same percentage. So a 10% reduction in rolling resistance means a 10% reduction in wet traction. Fun!
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FWIW - I purchased at non-EV AT tire that I read prior was pretty meh regarding rolling resistance. My calculated loss was 4% over the stock AT. I'd imagine these will be equal or potentially better, likely 22" area, I'd hope.

BendR1S

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
FWIW if you are going with this setup: I purchased these wheels for my R1T (and used them as a winter set with Blizzaks mounted on them). I purchased TPMS sensors from Amazon (because I'm cheap), had Discount Tire install them, and they worked great. Didn't require programming and the car picked them up before I got home (<5 miles). I'm happy with this setup, and it looks sharp too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09W81D636/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JJE

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LG, Chevy Bolt
As I mentioned elsewhere, I switched to Pirelli Scorpion AS 20s on my R1S from the ATs. These are an alternative to the Michelin, and I paid $224 each installed.

I love the AS - much better tires. Super quiet, significantly improved ride and handling. And the efficiency jumped to be identical to 21s. I now get an average of 2.4 m/kwh, adjusted for the slight difference in diameter (Rivian won't calibrate a non OEM tire). The AS has a very slightly lower maximum weight rating that the AT but it is by far within the safety margin. Diameter is essentialltly the same as the 21s.

The AS is significantly better on the snow that the AT. The AT was surprisingly not great in snow.

Jim4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
As I mentioned elsewhere, I switched to Pirelli Scorpion AS 20s on my R1S from the ATs. These are an alternative to the Michelin, and I paid $224 each installed.

I love the AS - much better tires. Super quiet, significantly improved ride and handling. And the efficiency jumped to be identical to 21s. I now get an average of 2.4 m/kwh, adjusted for the slight difference in diameter (Rivian won't calibrate a non OEM tire). The AS has a very slightly lower maximum weight rating that the AT but it is by far within the safety margin. Diameter is essentialltly the same as the 21s.

The AS is significantly better on the snow that the AT. The AT was surprisingly not great in snow.
Which scorpion AS did you get for your 20s? Seems like there are like 6 different versions.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/season/all-season

Sponsored

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Got some miles on the ltx platinum. Range is only a tiny bit better than the stock 20 at tires. Grip is somehow much worse than the all terrain tires. However the comfort, noise, wear are all much better.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Got some miles on the ltx platinum. Range is only a tiny bit better than the stock 20 at tires. Grip is somehow much worse than the all terrain tires. However the comfort, noise, wear are all much better.
Guess I'll stick with the Pirelli then. Noise doesn't bug me and mine have 17k miles

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Guess I'll stick with the Pirelli then. Noise doesn't bug me and mine have 17k miles
The noise gets worse over time, it was really hard to get any sort of longevity out of those tires. I had purchased 3 sets and just gave up on them as they don't last and the noise just drove me insane.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Get ready to start disliking the Pirellis, that’s about when they start getting loud. By 30k they like super swampers.

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
They're definitely getting louder but since we're moving to the mountains I will stick with the more aggressive tread and 3 peaks rating.

Ronimal

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wagoneer
Do you happen to have any miles on snow that you could comment on in terms of grip? I can guess that if the ltx has generally worse grip than the stock ATs, snow traction would also be worse.

I am beginning to think a good cold climate combo is ltx platinum in warmer weather months, dedicated snow tire in winter. Although the latter wasn't necessary in MN this year lol.

Voronbrg

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Everything
Do you happen to have any miles on snow that you could comment on in terms of grip? I can guess that if the ltx has generally worse grip than the stock ATs, snow traction would also be worse.

I am beginning to think a good cold climate combo is ltx platinum in warmer weather months, dedicated snow tire in winter. Although the latter wasn't necessary in MN this year lol.

I'm in south Texas, no snow.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

What size tire?