Sponsored

20 degrees cooler inside (roof / windshield tint/film)

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
This makes me happy -- a fun experiment with control and interesting results!

Out of curiosity in what are potentially second-order effects: did the two Teslas have the same interior and exterior colors?
The untinted vehicle was black and the tinted vehicle was blue. So the ~1 degree difference may be partly down to the color. I have a video of the whole experiment somewhere. It was especially relevant in 2018 because you could not tint the windshield without risking water intrusion and destroying the Model 3 computer. Since the the computer had been protected and tinting companies have learned how to work around the issue. But the big surprise was that there is enough solar coming through that windshield to overwhelm any benefit from the sides and back. Once the windshield was finally tinted it made a big difference. The roof is pretty well tinted and rejects heat well.
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I agree. I had the Ford Lightning and it had an automatic open/close shade for the sunroof. GREAT feature to have. With so many going with these glass roofs, which are nice to have, they should all be including some sort of shade capability.
It seems like a peculiar omission. Till I drove one at the First Mile event I had assumed it had a shade (why would it not?)

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

It seems like a peculiar omission. Till I drove one at the First Mile event I had assumed it had a shade (why would it not?)
Tesla doesn't include one. Being that Rivian followed Tesla's playbook in many aspects, they apparently didn't feel it was needed. Most of the major manufacturers include a shade of some sort.

With the added tint, I'm now completely fine without a shade. Can still see the sky through it, but the sun doesn't bother me at all. At least for me, I'm good with it. The Tesla, never really had an issue. I did consider tinting it too, but never did. The Rivian just got so hot inside, I had to do something. I never do windshields either. For the same reason, did it on this vehicle.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Not being a smart ass, but, I guess let me know when it actually happens, then maybe there will be reason for concern. Lots of people like to post that this or that will be bad, because there was one instance in 1,000,000. Not saying that's the case, but, I've given up on those that post about "potential" problems that haven't happened. People have been putting film or tint on windows, roofs, etc for decades. Clearly it's not a widespread problem. If you get married, you'll probably get divorced too, guess nobody should get married. If you shower today, you're just going to get dirty tomorrow, so why bother! The list could go on and on for eons!

No watch, mine will shatter because I said this!! LOL
Yeah, as I said, who knows. I don’t have a clue but seems like a high rate of installers saying they won’t do the roof. Maybe they know something. Maybe they just don’t know how to do a big piece of glass like that. 🤷

I don’t have my R1T yet but sounds like putting something in the windshield is almost mandatory…

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I've never tinted a windshield, even here in TX. I do, however, use a solar shade religiously when parked. With a good IR blocking tint on the side and rear windows and a solar shade in the front window when parked, summers are much much more tolerable. One benefit of an IR blocking tint on the windshield would be that it would help even when driving and reduce the load on the Rivian's air conditioner so I may explore that possibility if I can do that without running afoul of tint laws.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I've never tinted a windshield, even here in TX. I do, however, use a solar shade religiously when parked. With a good IR blocking tint on the side and rear windows and a solar shade in the front window when parked, summers are much much more tolerable. One benefit of an IR blocking tint on the windshield would be that it would help even when driving and reduce the load on the Rivian's air conditioner so I may explore that possibility if I can do that without running afoul of tint laws.
You should definitely tint the windshield with a ceramic IR blocking option. The shop that did mine wouldn't violate window tint shade restrictions but had no problem putting a clear ceramic tint on the windshield. It makes a huge difference, though still lets in heat (just not as much).

A ceramic tinted windshield still lets in 100x more heat than an un-tinted (aftermarket) roof. I feel no heat coming all the way through the roof. The glass itself gets hot, but that means it's working. Just compare the surface temp of the dash (even with tint) to the top of the headrests 6 inches from the roof, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
I use a "real" heatshield fitted sun shield on my truck, works great and makes a very significant difference. The heat shield cost about 60$ don't want to put any tint/films etc on my glass.

Just another data point.

G

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I use a "real" heatshield fitted sun shield on my truck, works great and makes a very significant difference. The heat shield cost about 60$ don't want to put any tint/films etc on my glass.

Just another data point.

G
Yeah, I got one for the roof before I realized it wasn't really needed. Will probably get one for windshield.

Though there are two issues - mitigating heat build up when parked (shade helps massively with that), and mitigating head load when driving (tint is only option and helps some). Tinting the windshield has had the effect of the AC fans running 1-2 levels lower in similar conditions pre/post install. The noise reduction from that alone was worth it.

nomis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S; Toyota Rav4
Clubs

I suggested he hold his hand against the inside of the sunroof for as long as it takes to say the car doesn't need a sunshade … : )
I vaguely remember a tint guy telling me that using ceramic tint 'keeps the heat trapped in the window' and minimizes radiating the heat into the cabin and that's why the window may feel hot. Not really sure how true that is though.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Rivian needs to develop a retractable shade and offer it as a retrofit.
I asked the guide about this and his response was … well, unfortunately all too common on topics of features and foibles … "it's not a problem, the sunroof has a filter in the glass, there's no need for a sunshade" … I was talking to him on a not remarkably hot day in March and questioning what it would be like in August … I suggested he hold his hand against the inside of the sunroof for as long as it takes to say the car doesn't need a sunshade … : )
The fact that the roof glass is hot is evidence that the tint is working. A sunshade doesn't prevent the glass from getting hot, it just blocks visible light/glare (mostly). There would be minor decrease in transmitted heat, but nothing significant and not worth the expense for Rivian or the use by me. The only heat you can feel from the roof is within half an inch of it. If the roof was letting noticeable heat in, it would be impossible that the tops of the headrests stay shaded and cool to the touch, yet they do.

Here's another data point. I only put ceramic tint on the front windows and windshield, and the front is a slightly lighter shade due to the legal limits in TX. The other day I rode in the backseat to see what it was like. Resting my arm on the door felt no different back there than it does in the front, despite the front having ceramic film that supposedly blocks 88% of IR light. A darker tint is equivalent to IR blocking ceramic tint. The roof is a lot darker than the rear windows are (basically limo tint), which is why it blocks so much heat. The backseat was also no different from the front in feeling any heat from the roof, despite being closer to it (stadium seating) and having less air flow.

95%+ of the heat transmitted into the cabin is through the windshield, even with a ceramic tint on it because that tint is necessarily clear.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Another 99 degree day. Today, purposely parked with the windshield pointing away from the sun and it couldn't have been more than 5-10 degrees hotter in the truck than it was outside. SO, SO , SO much nicer. Best decision I've made yet with the truck!

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
The fact that the roof glass is hot is evidence that the tint is working. A sunshade doesn't prevent the glass from getting hot, it just blocks visible light/glare (mostly). There would be minor decrease in transmitted heat, but nothing significant and not worth the expense for Rivian or the use by me. The only heat you can feel from the roof is within half an inch of it. If the roof was letting noticeable heat in, it would be impossible that the tops of the headrests stay shaded and cool to the touch, yet they do.

Here's another data point. I only put ceramic tint on the front windows and windshield, and the front is a slightly lighter shade due to the legal limits in TX. The other day I rode in the backseat to see what it was like. Resting my arm on the door felt no different back there than it does in the front, despite the front having ceramic film that supposedly blocks 88% of IR light. A darker tint is equivalent to IR blocking ceramic tint. The roof is a lot darker than the rear windows are (basically limo tint), which is why it blocks so much heat. The backseat was also no different from the front in feeling any heat from the roof, despite being closer to it (stadium seating) and having less air flow.

95%+ of the heat transmitted into the cabin is through the windshield, even with a ceramic tint on it because that tint is necessarily clear.
A shade would not be ideal, but at least it's a material that can "trap" the air being heated to a confined space and presumably be composed of a material that reflects the heat (not allowing it to move into the cabin and cook like an oven.) I assume a reflective film on the outside of the sunroof glass would be just about optimal for IR rejection.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Yes, I second all of this. When you sit in the truck pre-tinting, you can feel the heat on your arms and legs through the windshield when the sun it hitting you directly. You DON'T feel any such thing through the roof glass, which makes me pretty confident it is doing its job.

I did get the top of the line XPEL Ceramic clear film applied to all of my windows last week, including the windshield and the already-tinted rear windows and back glass, and it has made a world of difference during this Dallas summer heat wave (heat index 113+ at times). You can see the light from the sun on you through the windshield now, but you don't feel the heat. The A/C doesn't have to work nearly as hard since I had it applied.

Would highly recommend the clear ceramic film on the windshield to anyone living in a warm climate.