First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR3, BMW X7, Audi Q7
Occupation
Anesthesiologist
I just picked up my 2023 mid 18000 vin R1T and to my surprise it has a 12 volt DC outlet in the frunk! I said to the service guy "I thought they removed these months ago?" and he replied "yep, they did. you must have an older build." I pointed out the 2023 on the sticker and the Vin and he repsonded with "oh wow, looks like it's back." While I don't know if mine was a fluke or not, I certainly have it on a 2023 and I'm very happy about it.

Update:

I have confirmed the outlet works. And here is a picture for those with trust issues.

frunk-jpeg.jpg
Can I ask which cooler u have in there?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ohseedee

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can I ask which cooler u have in there?
Sure. It's this one from amazon. However, it does NOT fit under the frunk. I bought it specifically for the R1T during black Friday. And because the 12V outlet was gone, I did not size it for the frunk, but instead the bed. Had I known I'd be getting the 12V outlet, I would have gone with a different cooler that fit in the frunk.

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
It seems incredible that the wiring would be gone if indeed the 12v frunk outlet is coming back for good. It's common for auto wire harnesses to have wiring stowed for options that aren't used. Maybe they just did a better job at securing the unused wires, so they're not visible from the light mounting hole.
Mine had a rather sloppy job of taping the unused wires to the light wires (vin 12,2xx).
For mine, the wiring just was not present within the space behind the light, leading all the way out through the port where the wire comes in.

I’m going to have to see if I can keep following the wire back, but that would involve removing the Frunk tub, I think.

Alchemy8279

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Mazda MX-5
Occupation
Middle Management
2023 VIN 187xx, No 12V in Frunk and one magnet. Very strange.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

abumarf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’ve got a question. I just had my R1T delivered on the 9th and it doesn’t seem to have the 12v in the frunk. My real confusion is about my VIN. It’s a 2023 with vin number 000xxx. I’m trying to understand the whole vin reset if it did happen.

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
Hi All. I took delivery of my 2023 R1S Adventure Package [4xxx VIN] on Monday [02-13-2023] in Brooklyn NY and can confirm I also have the 12v in the frunk. After waiting 1239 days it's the least they could do.

R1S 12v Frunk.jpeg
Oh snap. I'm 42xx VIN...right behind you waiting to get my vehicle here shortly.

Fit and finish good?

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yeah, strange. My vin is a few hundred less than that and I have it.
Guess we can't use just VIN number sequence to decipher who's getting it or not, but it seems anyone after 18XXX should probably check!

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
My money is still on redesigning it to only have a single magnet, and whoever did copied an older frunk revision without the 12V socket, and no-one caught the mistake until they had already made a lot of them. The ones without the 12V socket don't have the depression in the tub there, so it's not just that they didn't cut the hole out.
My truck was one of the first without the socket vin 122xx.
It does have the same frunk profile with shelf as others with the socket.
Just checked the light wiring- Is this the 2 wire setup that other's have used for adding a socket?
Rivian R1T R1S 12 volt frunk power outlet is back! > in my just-delivered 2023 R1T (mid 18000 VIN) Frunk wirin

Sponsored

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Tell me what you think:
'23 VINs into the 19000's were the 2k or so trucks that were mostly made in 2022 but not quite finished so got pushed into 2023 / PN. When the factory shut down for the end-of-year vacations, any T started from scratch was reset back to 0.
So mine, set to be delivered next week, VIN 185xx, was almost finished last year but didn't quite get shipped.
Maybe?

Also, sorry to hijack the thread!

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Fit and finish are good, inside and out.
Including panel alignment, especially the corners of the hood by the fenders?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
My truck was one of the first without the socket vin 122xx.
It does have the same frunk profile with shelf as others with the socket.
Just checked the light wiring- Is this the 2 wire setup that other's have used for adding a socket?
Frunk wiring.jpeg
Yes, it seems like you're in luck.. that taped up lead is the 12V accessory wires.