OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
The Infotainment/NAV/Driver+ will all theoretically improve dramatically over time. I would hope Ford did better with them given they have been developing them for a few decades and Rivian just started. I can remember Ford's first foray into Infotainment/connected vehicle. Everyone, and I mean everyone, hated it and it was universally deemed the worst of all the OEMs attempts at the time.
I also think Rivian "Should" be quicker with updates and improvements. But unless the next update has a huge infotainment and mapping update it might take years to catch up to Ford.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I also think Rivian "Should" be quicker with updates and improvements. But unless the next update has a huge infotainment and mapping update it might take years to catch up to Ford.
They're kicking them out every four weeks. Ford's MME updates have been very inconsistent and tbh pretty minimal other than blue cruise.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Reading more about these comparisons has me pretty sure the Ford will be my long term vehicle and Rivian more of a novelty. (based on my needs)

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I just saw this and find it relevant:

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
So dumb question but can you at least have your phone hooked up to the info system and hear your search results from your phone's apps through the speakers?

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I've had both in my driveway for almost a week now. While I had thought the Ford would be the one I keep originally, the Rivian simply wins out.

For me, the Ford's fold out desk is a nice feature. I love the sunshade that you can close. I'll never use it, but the functional sunroof and rear window are also nice features. The Frunk access is more appealing on the Ford as well. And, the rear leg room is very nice. And the home battery backup system has appeal.

Beyond that, the Rivian wins just about every other test in my book. First, simply looking at them. The Rivian looks different and fresh. For nearly $90K out the door for both of them, I like having something that's different. I loved the Tesla and still do, but simply got bored looking at the same car after 9 years. The Ford looks like a Ford. Moreso, it looks like the other 1,000,000 trucks a year they sell. Certainly, nothing "special" about it. Add in the Rivian's cool features, with the gear tunnel, the auto tonneau cover. Cleaner interior. The Ford interior is nice, but it looks like a mass production car. While I appreciate having the buttons for quick access, the Rivian looks so much more upscale than does the everyday Ford. The Rivian Air Suspension is a huge plus, as is the onboard air compressor. It's frunk is plenty large as well.

Overall, I actually "feel" something when I look at the Rivian. There's nothing really wrong with the Ford, it just doesn't excite me when I see it. Just like "eh, it's another Ford". For my work, the Rivian's smaller size and maneuverability will be appreciated. Not that I'll ever use it, it is 1.5 seconds faster to 60 MPH as well. Certainly more off-road capable. I think the Rivian will have a much better resale value in the long run as well. Ford will eventually start pumping out more than 250,000 Lightnings per year and it will be a dime a dozen. Add that to the fact that Ford has announced that an all new, from the ground up EV truck is coming 2-3 years and these ICE truck conversions to electric will be antiquated quite quickly and values will come down. The Rivian will remain relevant for longer. For those that got in on the early pricing, the 20% price hike ensures that you could sell it for at least what you paid for it in a couple of years (depending on condition and mileage). The Ford, I believe will see depreciation over time, as is typical of most cars.

Unless by some miracle, I've made my decision to keep the Rivian and let the Ford go. For those that need a "work truck" and don't care about performance and off-roading, the F-150 is by far the better choice. And don't get me wrong, Ford did a great job with the Lightning. But again, it's still a Ford F-150, similar to all the rest. For me, I like the off-road oriented styling of the Rivian much better. Wish Ford had done a Raptor version in Electric. Add that to the fact that it will cost me $12,000 to install the necessary equipment to wire in the battery backup system, plus another $4,000 or so to get rid of the hideous Lariat wheels and at least $2,000 to install a tonneau cover and the Ford's price increases nearly $20,000 more when all is said and done. And still wouldn't have adjustable air suspension or an air compressor!

The Ford certainly has more gadgets in its UI. Sub-menu's of sub-menu's behind the actual menu's. I'd never figure it all out. The bed scale is a cool feature. One I'll never use personally, but a cool feature none the less.

Just my 2 cents, from an owner of both vehicles at this time.

Last edited:

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Not sure if they are the same, but the food and service have remained above average even through Covid. How long have you been gone?
I left Buffalo in 2007, so has been quite a while.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
So dumb question but can you at least have your phone hooked up to the info system and hear your search results from your phone's apps through the speakers?
In the Rivian, Siri works though the R1T's infotainment system. So yes.

I left Buffalo in 2007, so has been quite a while.
It's the same as then just with a lot more traffic.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
I've had both in my driveway for almost a week now. While I had thought the Ford would be the one I keep originally, the Rivian simply wins out.

For me, the Ford's fold out desk is a nice feature. I love the sunshade that you can close. I'll never use it, but the functional sunroof and rear window are also nice features. The Frunk access is more appealing on the Ford as well. And, the rear leg room is very nice. And the home battery backup system has appeal.

Beyond that, the Rivian wins just about every other test in my book. First, simply looking at them. The Rivian looks different and fresh. For nearly $90K out the door for both of them, I like having something that's different. I loved the Tesla and still do, but simply got bored looking at the same car after 9 years. The Ford looks like a Ford. Moreso, it looks like the other 1,000,000 trucks a year they sell. Certainly, nothing "special" about it. Add in the Rivian's cool features, with the gear tunnel, the auto tonneau cover. Cleaner interior. The Ford interior is nice, but it looks like a mass production car. While I appreciate having the buttons for quick access, the Rivian looks so much more upscale than does the everyday Ford. The Rivian Air Suspension is a huge plus, as is the onboard air compressor. It's frunk is plenty large as well.

Overall, I actually "feel" something when I look at the Rivian. There's nothing really wrong with the Ford, it just doesn't excite me when I see it. Just like "eh, it's another Ford". For my work, the Rivian's smaller size and maneuverability will be appreciated. Not that I'll ever use it, it is 1.5 seconds faster to 60 MPH as well. Certainly more off-road capable. I think the Rivian will have a much better resale value in the long run as well. Ford will eventually start pumping out more than 250,000 Lightnings per year and it will be a dime a dozen. Add that to the fact that Ford has announced that an all new, from the ground up EV truck is coming 2-3 years and these ICE truck conversions to electric will be antiquated quite quickly and values will come down. The Rivian will remain relevant for longer. For those that got in on the early pricing, the 20% price hike ensures that you could sell it for at least what you paid for it in a couple of years (depending on condition and mileage). The Ford, I believe will see depreciation over time, as is typical of most cars.

Unless by some miracle, I've made my decision to keep the Rivian and let the Ford go. For those that need a "work truck" and don't care about performance and off-roading, the F-150 is by far the better choice. And don't get me wrong, Ford did a great job with the Lightning. But again, it's still a Ford F-150, similar to all the rest. For me, I like the off-road oriented styling of the Rivian much better. Wish Ford had done a Raptor version in Electric. Add that to the fact that it will cost me $12,000 to install the necessary equipment to wire in the battery backup system, plus another $4,000 or so to get rid of the hideous Lariat wheels and at least $2,000 to install a tonneau cover and the Ford's price increases nearly $20,000 more when all is said and done. And still wouldn't have adjustable air suspension or an air compressor!

The Ford certainly has more gadgets in its UI. Sub-menu's of sub-menu's behind the actual menu's. I'd never figure it all out. The bed scale is a cool feature. One I'll never use personally, but a cool feature none the less.

Just my 2 cents, from an owner of both vehicles at this time.
I think you are right about the million other Lightnings because I think Ford hit a homerun with this truck. And I think their next gen you mentioned will be even better.

Looks wise, I think both trucks look great. But to each his own. What to you think the Lightning will bring when you sell it?

I also see the compressor unfavorably (hope I'm wrong) with the cold winters here. Not sure what systems they have to keep the moisture out of the system are you? Compressors and valves tend to ice up in our climate.

I like the faster part as I will use that, hell if the software becomes hackable I'll be in there seeing how to go faster yet. And real off roading requires replacement parts... good luck with either brand in that dept.

For me if you exclude the size/maneuverability/off roading the Ford offers more for less. It's quieter, roomier, smoother, more fully featured. Yet for me the size/maneuverability/speed have the R1T being my favorite at the moment in spite of the R1T's IKEA flavored interior.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
So far I love my R1T, but am starting to think when my Lightning arrives in a few weeks I might just go down to the dealership and see what they would offer me to trade it in. If its over 110k I might just trade it in and go home with the Lightning, otherwise I'll just keep the R1T.

Sponsored

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Out of spec just did a 70mph range test for the Ford. The extended battery only managed 230 miles OUCH!!!. means their standard pack will be well below 200 miles

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Out of spec just did a 70mph range test for the Ford. The extended battery only managed 230 miles OUCH!!!. means their standard pack will be well below 200 miles
Hmmm I just checked it out - they got 260 miles with the Platinum trim 22" wheels. EPA hwy mileage is roughly that, with a 300 combined rating. Still notably worse than the R1T on 20" ATs though.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Santa Fe
Clubs

Thank you for the great part 1 and 2 comparisons OP. I understand there are different price points available, but with all things considered, in your opinion, which would you consider to be a better value? $80k (price protected) Rivian or $80k Lightning?

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Hmmm I just checked it out - they got 260 miles with the Platinum trim 22" wheels. EPA hwy mileage is roughly that, with a 300 combined rating. Still notably worse than the R1T on 20" ATs though.
That was in 100 degree heat though. I’m guessing that the AC was using up some range.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
Thank you for the great part 1 and 2 comparisons OP. I understand there are different price points available, but with all things considered, in your opinion, which would you consider to be a better value? $80k (price protected) Rivian or $80k Lightning?
I think a big part of the value is dependent on what you plan on using it for. I think the Rivian is more fun and the Lightning is more Truck. Both are great but have different personalities
Sponsored