Sponsored

Keep Porsche 991 (2019 Carrera) & buy a cheap Truck OR trade-in Porsche for a Rivian

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
You could have both worlds you know..

Porsche Panamera. Is it as good as the 911? NO.. But it does come close for what it is.

Then get a R1 as your daily, and take the Pana when the twisties call.

Still have room for your spouse, and kids, no matter the vehicle.

Or see if you can locate a Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo.. They are rather rare thou.
Rivian R1T R1S Keep Porsche 991 (2019 Carrera) & buy a cheap Truck OR trade-in Porsche for a Rivian rt-Turismo-Original-174K-MSRP-SPORT-DESIGN-PACKAGE

I know the Panamera had a E-Hybrid option, but no idea what it brought to the table.

I have found that once you drive cars like this... They always call to you.. ALWAYS.
McLaren still calls to me... And I desperately want one.. Just cant do it anymore.
Enjoy them while you can.. As you age (like I have), you get to a point of you not being the contortionist needed to get in and out of them.
Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

My wife now drives my 430hp Audi and we have an e46 Convertible as well. Well my 18 year old now anyway. Honestly the e46 is the most fun of the bunch despite not being a fast car. The rear seats are super usable compared to a 911, haha. I've spent a fair amount of seat time in Porsches including on the race track, not to mention driving race cars. I like all different kinds of cars. I've owned rock crawlers and off road vehicles. First car I drove when I was 12, was my dad's FJ40.

Sometimes it's good to switch it up and try something new. I wanted an EV and the R1S was the only choice that checked the boxes for me. There are no other EV SUVs I would consider. I considered the etron GT and BMW i4 as sedans. I'm not the sort to have extra cars sitting around. Too much maintenance and I don't have the space. We have four drivers in the family and a camping trailer. That's too much already. You just have to decide if you'll miss the 911 and will still drive it.

The Macan EV was just announced. Can you hold out for that? I drove a Panamera Hybrid on the track. It definitely felt very heavy and cumbersome. I dare say the Diesel Cayenne felt sportier.
Rivian R1T R1S Keep Porsche 991 (2019 Carrera) & buy a cheap Truck OR trade-in Porsche for a Rivian IMG_20130523_092540_442

Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I sold my 911 recently. It was my dd. I took it everywhere. The decision to sell it was made for me because apparently I was driving like a teenager. Strong advise was provided to "act my age" so I looked around and got teh Rivian. I will admit for some odd reason; it has helped me slow down. The Rivian is a great handeling SUV. Dont expect 911 handeling but it's great.

If I were in your shoes, I'd sell the 911 (you will cry) and lease the Rivian. I've seen some really great lease offers here. Maybe around $500/month; which is crazy. Use the savings and save up for a sports car down the road. Family first mate.

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
As an adult, don’t you think you should be making your own decisions? Only you know what you want. Jeesh

Sponsored

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
a parent has to make his decision as necessary. They day I tried to fit my child's forward facing 3 point belt seat in the back of my 911 (997.2) and only got it in after profuse sweating and cursing, I knew it had to go. I dropped it a week later. I since have had other Porsches/911. Do right for the family, in time you hopefully can get another 911. I'm sure enough Porsche fans on Rennlist or other Porsche forums will try to persuade you to keep the 911. It's your call. Besides, why not enjoy other flavours in life, you can get back to what you wish some other time. If you never again can afford it, then what the heck...you did own it at least once, which is already better than many who desire to do so!

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
You could have both worlds you know..

Porsche Panamera. Is it as good as the 911? NO.. But it does come close for what it is.

Then get a R1 as your daily, and take the Pana when the twisties call.

Still have room for your spouse, and kids, no matter the vehicle.

Or see if you can locate a Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo.. They are rather rare thou.
rt-Turismo-Original-174K-MSRP-SPORT-DESIGN-PACKAGE.jpg

I know the Panamera had a E-Hybrid option, but no idea what it brought to the table.

I have found that once you drive cars like this... They always call to you.. ALWAYS.
McLaren still calls to me... And I desperately want one.. Just cant do it anymore.
Enjoy them while you can.. As you age (like I have), you get to a point of you not being the contortionist needed to get in and out of them.
Unless you're wedded to the Porsche nameplate, consider that the Tesla Model S has better handling, more range, better acceleration, more power, more room, smoother and quieter.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Unless you're wedded to the Porsche nameplate, consider that the Tesla Model S has better handling, more range, better acceleration, more power, more room, smoother and quieter.
No argument's there... But it doesn't have that v8 rumble either... And its not a Tesla.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
No argument's there... But it doesn't have that v8 rumble either... And its not a Tesla.
Interesting that most car companies spend a lot of time and effort to make their cars quiet and smooth while a few tune their noise to appeal to some others...

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I have a 981S (Boxster of the 991 era) - it's Lime Gold and my wife - and grandkids - love it. I also kept my modded GX470 for the dog and trails. And while I do enjoy the R1S during the week it's my wife's commuter - I get to take it over the mountains on the weekends. If I had to choose which one to give up...dang, that would be hard but I would let the Boxster go.

(We are also in line for an R2 (we have reservations at the Seattle Rivian event Sunday to see the R2 and R3). I'm going to push off making any changes until the R2 becomes available - I'm hoping by then that Rivian quality will improve to be closer to Porsche / Toyota - or there will be an EV GX / Land Cruiser.)

To the OP - try to find a way to get _everything_ you want. :)

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

.........I know this is an EV crowd so I say this with some intrepidation… that visceral feeling you get in the 911 when the sport exhaust roars through the redlines is very satisfying....
As someone pointed out to me when having an EV vs ICE sports car (actually it was in the context of Cayman 718 EV vs Lotus Emira w/AMG 2.0L Turbo and which to buy when available) - Would you rather eat flame grilled burger or a microwaved burger....

There definitely is something to be said about that...

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Would you rather eat flame grilled burger or a microwaved burger....

There definitely is something to be said about that...
And flame grilling is $.30/mile and microwaving is $.06/mile...and you have 12k bites (miles) each year. :)

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I alway hoped to be driving the Mach 5 but seem to be driving the Mammoth Car. 🤣

OP
OP

eastsideguy75

First Name
Yavor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche C4S 991.2
Thank you everyone!

I have some new data points. The Porsche dealership offered to buy the 911 for $95k. Not bad, since I paid $142k (this includes the 11% sales tax in Washington state) five and a half years ago.

They also have a R1S 2013 with 200 miles on the odometer for sale. Copy/paste from the posting

Forest Green exterior and Ocean Coast interior. Heated Seats, 3rd Row Seat, Navigation, Sunroof, Power Liftgate, Panoramic Roof, Alloy Wheels, All Wheel Drive, OCEAN COAST, PERFORATED VEGAN LEATHER... FOREST GREEN, Trailer Hitch. KEY FEATURES INCLUDE Third Row Seat, Navigation, Panoramic Roof, All Wheel Drive, Power Liftgate Non-Smoker vehicle Rivian Adventure with Forest Green exterior and Ocean Coast interior features a Electric Motor. OPTION PACKAGES OCEAN COAST, PERFORATED VEGAN LEATHER SEAT TRIM: patterned stitching, compass yellow details throughout and the option of vegan leather or ash wood accents, FOREST GREEN. AFFORDABLE TO OWN This R1S is priced $900 below Kelley Blue Book. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE CARFAX 1-Owner Excellent Condition Pricing analysis performed on 4/10/2024. Please confirm the accuracy of the included equipment by calling us prior to purchase.

Pricing a new 2023 Rivian R1S form Rivian gives me pride of $95,750. Adventure $74900, Quad motor +$8000, Large +$9100 (though, I have to verify with dealer -- is quad motor available with anything less than "Large"?), Forest Green +$1750, Ocean coast + Dark ash +$2000.

They are asking $87,884. Does this seem like a good deal?

waveroamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 45e, Polestar 2, Mini Countryman
Clubs

Quad motor does not come with anything other than Large. It looks like apples to apples your dealer has lower price than Rivian official.

Maybe check the demo site at https://demovehicles.rivian.com/collections/all for fair comparison since you are buying it technically 'used'. Though 200 miles is hardly used.
Sponsored