Kurt44

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Max Pack 2023
Clubs

I too am watching this tread. I own a Max pack R1T, took delivery in November. Currently at 3,500 miles. One longish trip, with one likely this summer down the Pacific Coast. I have no regrets on spending the additional money for the Max pack. I like charging up to 80% and having about 330 mile range. As well as when I do go on a longer trip Charging up to 100% and having 410 mile range. My long distance trips were ski trips so with the cold temps it was re-assuring to have the extended range.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
For what it may be worth, as of last month, I have a 1 year old R1S Quad Launch Edition with 30k miles and a new R1S Dual Max Pack (both w/ 20" wheels) . . . unfortunately, I'm not seeing improved efficiency, nor more real world range. My first drive after delivery of the Dual Max was a drive across Colorado that I've done 20+ times in the Quad over the last year, in every kind of weather / road conditions, year-round, and in the Max I experienced the worst efficiency (1.83 miles per kwh) ever. Temperatures in the 30s & 40s, which is warmer than many trips in the Quad, may have had a headwind, but far less noticeable than many trips in the Quad. I had to stop at the Lake Fork Campground charger 225 miles from Denver to charge because it was 11pm and I only had 40 miles of range to go another 40 miles to the Montrose Rivian charger, with one more mountain pass to go over. That was after being 100% charged in Denver with a supposed 360 miles of range (20" wheels). There's little to no cell coverage along this drive, so I wasn't going to chance being stranded. My Quad shows 312 miles of range in Conserve mode when 100% charged. And driving around town since then, I'm also experiencing lower efficiency than in my Quad; it's in City driving that the up to 400 miles of range is supposed to be achievable. I have around 1k miles on the Dual Max Pack now. I'll continue testing / comparing, but I'll say I feel ripped off, duped, and I'm upset about this situation … feel like Rivian cooked the books on the EPA range (which I've always felt, but I hoped would not be the reality). Build quality is also worse. I’ve had 4 service tickets to address wheel alignment, rattles (passenger door), ticking (steering wheel), wind noise (windshield / A pillars), and more. First world problems, I know, but I had no such issues with my Launch Edition. The stereo / speakers are way worse in the Dual. Honestly, I have nothing positive to say about this new vehicle, there’s nothing better about it. I’ve seen Out of Spec Kyle’s recent videos showing the max pack has worse range than the large pack. I’m setting aside that it took 3 appointments (45 minute drive one way) for the service center to actually let me pick up a full size spare like they told me I could before the first, and that Rivian wouldn’t let me add / order a compact spare until I actually took delivery, which happened to result in a delay due to a parts shortage of potentially receiving it in mid May rather than at time of my vehicle delivery in mid March.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
ve seen Out of Spec Kyle’s recent videos showing the max pack has worse range than the large pack.
His testing showed it had more range, but not as much as you would want at highway speeds.

I hope your issues are due to alignment.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For what it may be worth, as of last month, I have a 1 year old R1S Quad Launch Edition with 30k miles and a new R1S Dual Max Pack (both w/ 20" wheels) . . . unfortunately, I'm not seeing improved efficiency, nor more real world range. My first drive after delivery of the Dual Max was a drive across Colorado that I've done 20+ times in the Quad over the last year, in every kind of weather / road conditions, year-round, and in the Max I experienced the worst efficiency (1.83 miles per kwh) ever. Temperatures in the 30s & 40s, which is warmer than many trips in the Quad, may have had a headwind, but far less noticeable than many trips in the Quad. I had to stop at the Lake Fork Campground charger 225 miles from Denver to charge because it was 11pm and I only had 40 miles of range to go another 40 miles to the Montrose Rivian charger, with one more mountain pass to go over. That was after being 100% charged in Denver with a supposed 360 miles of range (20" wheels). There's little to no cell coverage along this drive, so I wasn't going to chance being stranded. My Quad shows 312 miles of range in Conserve mode when 100% charged. And driving around town since then, I'm also experiencing lower efficiency than in my Quad; it's in City driving that the up to 400 miles of range is supposed to be achievable. I have around 1k miles on the Dual Max Pack now. I'll continue testing / comparing, but I'll say I feel ripped off, duped, and I'm upset about this situation … feel like Rivian cooked the books on the EPA range (which I've always felt, but I hoped would not be the reality). Build quality is also worse. I’ve had 4 service tickets to address wheel alignment, rattles (passenger door), ticking (steering wheel), wind noise (windshield / A pillars), and more. First world problems, I know, but I had no such issues with my Launch Edition. The stereo / speakers are way worse in the Dual. Honestly, I have nothing positive to say about this new vehicle, there’s nothing better about it. I’ve seen Out of Spec Kyle’s recent videos showing the max pack has worse range than the large pack. I’m setting aside that it took 3 appointments (45 minute drive one way) for the service center to actually let me pick up a full size spare like they told me I could before the first, and that Rivian wouldn’t let me add / order a compact spare until I actually took delivery, which happened to result in a delay due to a parts shortage of potentially receiving it in mid May rather than at time of my vehicle delivery in mid March.
Interesting, thanks for the info. I just recently clocked 310miles on the same configuration & have been wavering on how much I need the extra 7% or 10/11kwh.
Image was mostly freeway ave. speed was skewed by long border wait.

Rivian R1T R1S My Max Pack Rivian Delivered! 🙌 IMG_4080

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

His testing showed it had more range, but not as much as you would want at highway speeds.

The EPA results for city driving is where the improvements are. Straight up normal increase on highway per extra kWh in battery.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The EPA results for city driving is where the improvements are. Straight up normal increase on highway per extra kWh in battery.
I know. My understanding is that he is seeing *less* range.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

This is the video I am referring to. He surprisingly showed the results upfront in this 2+ hour video. See attached screenshot for the part that caught my attention, where he referenced results from other Rivians

And we can play with the data from his results on his website. https://outofspecstudios.com/70-mph-range

Rivian R1T R1S My Max Pack Rivian Delivered! 🙌 IMG_2871

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
This is the video I am referring to. He surprisingly showed the results upfront in this 2+ hour video. See attached screenshot for the part that caught my attention, where he referenced results from other Rivians

And we can play with the data from his results on his website. https://outofspecstudios.com/70-mph-range

IMG_2871.jpeg
Yeah, so you're ignoring the direct comparison results there. When he did the range test of the max pack, he also did one of a dual motor large pack on the same wheels. The max pack has the same highway efficiency, but went slightly further. On the day referenced above the dual motor large went something like 15 or 20 miles further than in the first test.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

IMG_2871.jpeg
the graphs etc are pretty but he hasn’t made any attempt to normalize them to standard conditions so they are essentially useless for direct comparisons (unless the two vehicles were tested the same day in same conditions).

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Later this year I’ll be able to drive both of my R1S’s across Colorado at the same time and report the results. And those results are the only ones that truly matter to me. Maybe I’ll do a 6+ hour livestream of it on YouTube! But based on my March experience in the Max Pack, it doesn’t have longer range than my Quad in Conserve mode, for my use case.
Sponsored

Last edited: