Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Black R1S, '23 Pacifica Hybrid, '17 Grand Sport CE
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

I was cruising down 35 here in Austin today when I ham-fisted an attempt to turn on Driver+ and depressed the park button on the stalk for a second. The car lurched like it was under braking and made a grinding sound from the front wheels, and showed an error message that read something like "come to a complete stop to go into park." Thanks Captain Obvious, you've been promoted to Admiral.

I was certainly taken aback. I'll be more careful in the future, but more than anything I figured a software lockout would prevent the car from even attempting to enter park while at 70mph. I haven't had the guts to try it a second time to see if that's what really happened. A forum search didn't turn this up... anyone else want to admit to being this clumsy?
Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I'm pretty sure it's similar to the Tesla setup. Pressing the 'park' button while driving engages the parking brake (like stomping on the ebrake pedal, or yanking up on the hand actuated ones...)

Kyle (out of spec, YouTube) has done this to break the back end free during his snow drive "tests" :)

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I kinda did the same thing recently where I instinctedly pushed the button instead of pulling down the stock. I did get the error message, but it never tried to apply the brake. Maybe it's speed related or some other set of perameters have to be met. I can see that it should be locked out at any speed that could cause an accident.

OP
OP
strangelove

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

I'm pretty sure it's similar to the Tesla setup. Pressing the 'park' button while driving engages the parking brake (like stomping on the ebrake pedal, or yanking up on the hand actuated ones...)

Kyle (out of spec, YouTube) has done this to break the back end free during his snow drive "tests" :)
Oh, interesting. I have to admit, my curiosity basically dictates that I try it again... though at a lower speed. I find the feature surprising though.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This is explicitly called out in the Owner's Manual:

Rivian R1T R1S Parking brake tried to engage while driving 1707347902651

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
IIRC it was this video:

Maybe this one:

Last edited:

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

"Emergency deceleration". It's in the owner's manual. I ham-fisted it once, as well (hadn't had my coffee yet, meant to hit the wipers). Was on the interstate. Good thing no one was behind me. I should've worn my brown pants. 😆

Rivian R1T R1S Parking brake tried to engage while driving 1707348077356

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
OP
OP
strangelove

strangelove

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Game Developer
Clubs

But is it more fun than unexpected emergency braking on I35 in Austin traffic?
To be fair, the braking wasn't that abrupt. I was more surprised by the grinding noise it made.

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
This is explicitly called out in the Owner's Manual:

1707347902651.png
This explains why it didn't slow down for and only gave me the warning. I didn't hold it down, I just touched it, got the warning and realized the error in my ways. Good to know you can use that as an emergency stop.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That's the ejector button if your passengers are being too loud.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Yup press and hold. My Nan had a 1965 Dodge Coronet 440 (no it didn't have a 440 ci... 440 meant it was 4 door) it had a 318 single bbl carb. Manual brakes.

I was driving it and the single brake line ruptured. Pedal went to the floor no stopping.

Instead when I needed to stop I held out the parking brake release and used the parking brake pedal as a brake pedal.

This function mimics that ability. In the event there is a brake failure the electric actuator can slow the vehicle. I'm glad Rivian has this feature.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
To be fair, the braking wasn't that abrupt. I was more surprised by the grinding noise it made.
Grinding noise was probably the ABS system pulsing the front wheels to prevent lockup.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I kinda did the same thing recently where I instinctedly pushed the button instead of pulling down the stock. I did get the error message, but it never tried to apply the brake. Maybe it's speed related or some other set of perameters have to be met. I can see that it should be locked out at any speed that could cause an accident.
Same.
Sponsored