Sponsored

Noticed my truck wasn't shutting off this morning...

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

#rant

Noticed my truck wasn't shutting off this morning. I'd gotten a bit of drain overnight and could see through the window that the screens were staying on after I locked it with the fob or app. Thanks to the many threads on this subject already, I immediately zeroed in on the seatbelts. Turns out I'd had my dog in the car recently and had left his seatbelt buckle in-place. One of these things:

Rivian R1T R1S Noticed my truck wasn't shutting off this morning... 1686845977137

First, thanks to this forum for sharing knowledge about this issue. I identified it within seconds thanks to reading all the posts about mechanics, SC's, etc., leaving seatbelts buckled.

Second, what kind of dumb system is this? What practical purpose can it serve to have the car not turn off if a seatbelt is buckled? I'm thinking about people who have car seats, or even just transport boxes with the belt wrapped around them. How do you get around this issue? Or if debris gets lodged in the buckle?

-------------------

Third, unrelated, got a VM from Rivian at 8am this morning to tell me that the Gaithersburg, MD service center is now fully open. Northern Virginia & DC fans, rejoice. Just don't all swamp it before I have a chance to get in there and address my few minor issues, LOL. 😆
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Second, what kind of dumb system is this? What practical purpose can it serve to have the car not turn off if a seatbelt is buckled? I'm thinking about people who have car seats, or even just transport boxes with the belt wrapped around them. How do you get around this issue? Or if debris gets lodged in the buckle?
Because what if there were a child in that car seat you mentioned? Or a passenger sensor failed to recognize a person in the seat, but the seatbelt was on? These are conscious choices that favor safety over convenience or efficiency.

OP
OP
Oldsmobile_Mike

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Because what if there were a child in that car seat you mentioned? Or a passenger sensor failed to recognize a person in the seat, but the seatbelt was on? These are conscious choices that favor safety over convenience or efficiency.
I get that, but what if there was? Guess I'm not understanding what purpose it serves to have the car stay on. It's not like it has a rear seat reminder:

Rivian R1T R1S Noticed my truck wasn't shutting off this morning... 1686846701812

Or does anything, useful, really. They could have it send a notification through the app, vent the windows, or literally anything else besides just leave the screens on. #shrug 🤷😆

Edit: That doesn't answer my question though. So you put in a carseat, buckle it in place, and the car never shuts off again? There's a million "what-ifs" here that I'm not understanding. Maybe this is why I don't have kids, LOL. 🤣

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
#rant

Noticed my truck wasn't shutting off this morning. I'd gotten a bit of drain overnight and could see through the window that the screens were staying on after I locked it with the fob or app. Thanks to the many threads on this subject already, I immediately zeroed in on the seatbelts. Turns out I'd had my dog in the car recently and had left his seatbelt buckle in-place. One of these things:

1686845977137.png

First, thanks to this forum for sharing knowledge about this issue. I identified it within seconds thanks to reading all the posts about mechanics, SC's, etc., leaving seatbelts buckled.

-------------------

Third, unrelated, got a VM from Rivian at 8am this morning to tell me that the Gaithersburg, MD service center is now fully open. Northern Virginia & DC fans, rejoice. Just don't all swamp it before I have a chance to get in there and address my few minor issues, LOL. 😆
I have that same attachment for my dog's harness and I left my car like that at work for several days in a row and couldn't figure out why it seemed like my car was on when I could return to it at night. It was pretty frustrating and then once I found the answer I felt kind of dumb but also still annoyed as well.

I don't have kids and I'm not worried about leaving people in a car. I'm more worried about my car staying on and unlocked when I walk away. I wish Rivian had a setting to turn this off.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I get that, but what if there was? Guess I'm not understanding what purpose it serves to have the car stay on. It's not like it has a rear seat reminder:

1686846701812.png

Or does anything, useful, really. They could have it send a notification through the app, vent the windows, or literally anything else besides just leave the screens on. #shrug 🤷😆

Edit: That doesn't answer my question though. So you put in a carseat, buckle it in place, and the car never shuts off again? There's a million "what-ifs" here that I'm not understanding. Maybe this is why I don't have kids, LOL. 🤣
You're not wrong in your assessment of the usefulness of the feature, though in theory this should keep the HVAC on if it were on before locking.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

#rant

1686845977137.png

-------------------

The real question is what buckle adapter is that? Would love something like that to attach my dog's harnesses to the belt rather than just a carabiner to the belt webbing.

OP
OP
Oldsmobile_Mike

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

The real question is what buckle adapter is that? Would love something like that to attach my dog's harnesses to the belt rather than just a carabiner to the belt webbing.
Hi! It's just a generic one I picked up at my local pet store a couple years ago. My wife has a nicer one that has a pivot on it (so the dog is less likely to get tangled if they walk in circles). I clip it into the seatbelt buckle, then the other end to his harness. Search Amazon, they have a ton of different types on there:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dog+harness+buckle+adapter

Hope this helps!
Sponsored

Last edited: