Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Permanent Fix Coming in March?! "Rivian called - Permanent fix expected in March" -- per The Kilowatts 60A14DCA-7BF9-4E17-9D74-10592126416A

gpellerin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure, Mazda Cx5,
Occupation
Consulting
They could indeed be ready by March, if they are not trying to re-invent the wheel. The overall design is quite ingenious, they have two challenges:
Single-side drive
Poor QC on slider widths.
I have posted these pictures before, but for those that have not seen the "inner workings" of where the cover goes...here you go. Rivian either needs to put a drive rod and cog across to the passenger side to use the single motor (which seems plenty powerful) or add a second motor. This latter method would also require more software for synchronization, but not impossible. The space is pretty tight, but I dont think either option is out of the realm of possibility. My opinion is that they know this is a differentiator and with all the e-Truck competition coming out in the next year, they need to maintain all the edge they can get. I am an eternal optimist, so while the March date may slip, I think they will figure this out.

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Permanent Fix Coming in March?! "Rivian called - Permanent fix expected in March" -- per The Kilowatts IMG_1821.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Permanent Fix Coming in March?! "Rivian called - Permanent fix expected in March" -- per The Kilowatts IMG_1824.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Permanent Fix Coming in March?! "Rivian called - Permanent fix expected in March" -- per The Kilowatts IMG_1825.JPEG

Rivian R1T R1S Powered Tonneau Permanent Fix Coming in March?! "Rivian called - Permanent fix expected in March" -- per The Kilowatts IMG_1826.JPEG

gpellerin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consulting
Yeah mine works fine though I don't use it a ton, somewhat out of fear. I had a tech come early on because it was clunky and he encouraged me to just use it as if it didn't break it would likely break in and work better. It's definitely smoother now than when I got the truck. 🤞
Get a can of dry silicone and spray it right in the rails. This will minimize the chance of binding. I spray mine about every 2 months.

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T Launch Edition, 22 Corvette C8 Z51 2LT HTC
Occupation
Software Engineer
As easy as it is for my CNC machine to become out of step with itself using a dual motor single track setup for the Y axis, I'd be weary of the dual motor setup unless it was self correcting somehow.

I think a mechanically linked solution would probably be best (stiffer rod with less torsion, or some other similar setup?)

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Man, I want to believe this is true. I have not had a single day or use of my powered tonneau since receiving the truck in August. Broken upon delivery (and closed). After a few months they replaced it when doing other work, and kept it open. One attempt to close the replacement and it jammed. Just ridiculous. Especially with winter here, I REALLY would like to be able to close the tonneau so I can keep my stuff dry. But I also need to use the bed like an actual truck, so I can't have it permanently closed. Very frustrating.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
They could indeed be ready by March, if they are not trying to re-invent the wheel. The overall design is quite ingenious, they have two challenges:
Single-side drive
I have posted these pictures before, but for those that have not seen the "inner workings" of where the cover goes...here you go. Rivian either needs to put a drive rod and cog across to the passenger side to use the single motor (which seems plenty powerful) or add a second motor. This latter method would also require more software for synchronization, but not impossible. The space is pretty tight, but I dont think either option is out of the realm of possibility. My opinion is that they know this is a differentiator and with all the e-Truck competition coming out in the next year, they need to maintain all the edge they can get. I am an eternal optimist, so while the March date may slip, I think they will figure this out.

IMG_1821.JPEG

IMG_1824.JPEG

IMG_1825.JPEG

IMG_1826.JPEG
Based on these pictures and other repair experiences. I hope Rivian engineers are taking feedback from service techs and body shops on how to design for serviceability. Seems crazy that they would need to do that much disassembly to access these parts.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
while i don't believe anything anyone says on the forums about the tonneau, it's this very thing that made me push my guide to find me a truck with a cover. if i got a truck delivered in Feb and thee new cover come out in March or April i would be livid.

gpellerin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consulting
Based on these pictures and other repair experiences. I hope Rivian engineers are taking feedback from service techs and body shops on how to design for serviceability. Seems crazy that they would need to do that much disassembly to access these parts.
Agreed. It was a 3+hour teardown to get this done.

Sponsored

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Forget the powered tonneau ... how about the manual cover!!?? Surely it does not take months to find that solution and get it shipped out. Right?

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
When did we become a world of glass is always half empty people? How is everyone's on time performance finishing all items on the wife's honey-do list? RJ seems to be a quality focused individual who spent a lot of time designing the details of this vehicle with him team. Given this is the 1st ever Rivian vehicle than is leaps and bounds ahead of offerings from 100+ yr old companies, can't we give them the benefit of doubt at times?

We all signed up as beta testers in a process that like any purchase is "optional" Who doesn't like things to just work as intended, pretty sure RJ and the team are far more disappointed the cover didn't work as intended given the amount of thought they put into it. One of the main reasons I joined this forum was to connect and share experienced with other early adopters to discuss how we can be part of a larger voice guiding Rivian to success with positive input. It is easy to criticize anything in life from the "Cheap Seat" behind the keyboard, how many here have reverse engineered something like the cover and offered key findings to help improve it through proper channels to Rivian? Most here just YouTube it and pass judgement.

For those who tried cleaning, lubricants, disassembly to evaluate the disconnect between design and execution, kudos for trying and sharing. Facebook, twitter, all that other worthless Anti Social media crap is for bitching. Forums like this should be collective efforts to improve something we all find value in. Help those with questions by finding answers that didn't come from a Google search.

Sure this will bring out the many haters as the internet is so successful at producing, but for the few that appreciate the vehicle, company, and having productive conversations on topics, I enjoyed it. For those who believe Rivian or anyone owes you the world, believes they can lose money as long as you bank profits for your flip, and bitching about something you have no talent to design or build, maybe a Bus Pass should be in your future? I am signing off for the last time, Aloha to all the solid people in this forum.

Moderator, do me a solid and delete my account, Mahalo

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Single-side drive

IMG_1821.JPEG

IMG_1824.JPEG

IMG_1825.JPEG

IMG_1826.JPEG
GAHHH. I'm so certain the hyundai santa cruz manual tonneau style could fit in that space, but I know in my heart of hearts they won't do it even though it would literally make everybody happy- make the santa cruz style tonneau cover but out of aluminum?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
When did we become a world of glass is always half empty people?
When did we become fragile ornaments who cannot tolerate different perspectives or different value judgements? Your vision of a forum which squelches dissension or criticism and implicitly condemns anyone who does not excuse every Rivian mistake is just as toxic.

Moderator, do me a solid and delete my account, Mahalo
Don't let the door hit you on the way out...

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Misconception is they all fail, mines works perfectly for 10 months.
Mine's also been working since I took delivery back in June 2021. That said, I feel it needs to work reliably for everyone and I think Rivian engineers are up to the task. :like:

As for timing, I'm guessing, at best, we should expect only an announcement in March. Actually retrofits probably won't start until summer. And given that it sometimes takes Rivian Service centers days for simple things like tire rotations, I expect the rollout of the tonneau retrofits will be a 6-12 month process. I hope Rivian proves me wrong.
Sponsored