Sponsored

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
The two people I spoke to during service calls told me not to get the cards or the fob wet and to definitely not submerge them.
The Fob is ostensibly water resistant but the card is ostensibly waterproof and has the same IP rating as the band.
Rivian R1T R1S Official feature: Rivian Key  | The durable, shareable, submersible gear to access your R1T and R1S 1651870660194

Rivian R1T R1S Official feature: Rivian Key  | The durable, shareable, submersible gear to access your R1T and R1S 1651870602564

Rivian R1T R1S Official feature: Rivian Key  | The durable, shareable, submersible gear to access your R1T and R1S 1651870748149

I wonder if it would be possible to program other NFC devices as keys. For example a Disney Magic band. Probably the same tech but Rivian may lock out other manufacturer IDs.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The Fob is ostensibly water resistant but the card is ostensibly waterproof and has the same IP rating as the band.
1651870660194.png

1651870602564.png

1651870748149.png

I wonder if it would be possible to program other NFC devices as keys. For example a Disney Magic band. Probably the same tech but Rivian may lock out other manufacturer IDs.
Along those lines hopefully the app would allow it. Apple Watch replacement as an example should work since the app/phone already works.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Do you guys know how many key fob and key cards a Explore or an Adventure get? I may not use my phone as a key if I can turn off the feature and would like my wife to have a copy of each.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wish they’d make a rfid clip that could be attached on an existing smartwatch band.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

They can make them to sell later this year and by making it an option yoi vastly diminish the number you need to produce. What % of people will pay $100 for the wrist band, 20%? Probably less. We're talking about, at most, a hundred or hundred and fifty dollars for this thing considering you can get a fully functional smartwatch with NFC chip for around that much. That seems like a strange thing to nickel and dime when you're talking about a $75,000 truck that charges $1,500 for any paint other than white, black, or silver.
I understand your point but during price gate they increased prices of small things like floor mats to get a few extra bucks so there is form.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Do you guys know how many key fob and key cards a Explore or an Adventure get? I may not use my phone as a key if I can turn off the feature and would like my wife to have a copy of each.
1 fob, 2 cards.

Reactions: Max

tdbirds

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon and RR Sport
Not specifically related to point of this thread, but …. The R1S in the video is limestone, right? The color looks different in every pic/video I see.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
As far as I know, Rivian haven't published how to add keys to the vehicle yet.
I don't think you'd need to. With this you could basically clone the keycard. The truck wouldn't know the difference. I cloned my ID card for work, stuck the sticker to my phone case, and used it to access my lab.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't think you'd need to. With this you could basically clone the keycard. The truck wouldn't know the difference. I cloned my ID card for work, stuck the sticker to my phone case, and used it to access my lab.
Really depends on the type of NFC/RFID tag. Some are easily clonable and simply respond with their card ID. Others have cryptographic functions to prevent simple cloning.

Edit: Rivian (card and band) use the NXP - Mifare DESFire EV3 4k card which has support for 3DES and AES encryption.
"The main characteristics of this device are denoted by its name “DESFire”: DES indicates the high level of security using a 3DES or AES hardware cryptographic engine for confidentiality and integrity protection of the transmission data. Fire indicates its outstanding position as a Fast, Innovative, Reliable and secure IC in the contactless proximity transaction market."
https://www.cardlogix.com/product/nxp-mifare-desfire-ev3-4k/

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm wondering if I can cut up the card or band for this....
The band would be MUCH easier to do without causing potential damage.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE