Sponsored

will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent?

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I am wondering if I will be able to access the bed via the manual tonneau cover when the roof top tent is mounted above it. I really hate buying the powered tonneau (cost and additional complexity) but realizing that maybe the only way I can easily access items in the bed.

Also Is there any guesses on whether the cover improves range with and without the tent mounted?

thanks
Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
I don’t know why you’d spend 1800 on what is essentially laminated plastic. Order it with none, I’m sure there will be creative solutions by then.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Per the description on the configurator, the manual cover is in four sections and slides into the same channels in the bed as the powered one does, but from the tailgate end.

Rivian R1T R1S will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent? 1646445952279

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
thanks - that is helpful.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I don’t know why you’d spend 1800 on what is essentially laminated plastic. Order it with none, I’m sure there will be creative solutions by then.
As someone relatively local to the DiamondBack facility, I've heard their engineers are positively chomping at the bit to get their hands on an R1T.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Any thoughts on what happens to the cavity the powered tonneau slides into if you get the manual? Hoping it’s not just dead space but I haven’t seen one to look at how removable it is. Would be cool if you got a bit of extra bed space.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Any thoughts on what happens to the cavity the powered tonneau slides into if you get the manual? Hoping it’s not just dead space but I haven’t seen one to look at how removable it is. Would be cool if you got a bit of extra bed space.
I've been curious about exactly where it rolls up but haven't seen any details, and I have not seen one in person to figure it out. My guess is that it rolls up directly below the window, above the tunnel. In that case, IMO there's not much useful space to be recovered, and zero bed space to recover.

I think it's also possible that it "serpentines" in a hollow space in the bed front wall (turning 90 degrees down to the bottom, and 180 degrees back up) behind the gear tunnel. In that case, there might be a few inches to recover. ?

Rivian R1T R1S will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent? 1646491833082

Rivian R1T R1S will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent? 1646491591303

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
I've been curious about exactly where it rolls up but haven't seen any details, and I have not seen one in person to figure it out. My guess is that it rolls up directly below the window, above the tunnel. In that case, IMO there's not much useful space to be recovered, and zero bed space to recover.

I think it's also possible that it "serpentines" in a hollow space in the bed front wall (turning 90 degrees down to the bottom, and 180 degrees back up) behind the gear tunnel. In that case, there might be a few inches to recover. ?

1646491833082.png

1646491591303.png
I thought in the RJ & Sandy video it was mentioned that it "stacks" into the space at the front of the bed. To your point, I can't see them using a different bed config for a manual cover just because the empty space is no longer being used for the auto cover.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

1646491833082.png

1646491591303.png
It stacks on top of the gear tunnel/at the front of the bed. You can see where in these pictures
Rivian R1T R1S will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent? 1646493103654

Rivian R1T R1S will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent? 1646493144010

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It stacks on top of the gear tunnel/at the front of the bed. You can see where in these pictures
1646493103654.png

1646493144010.png
Thanks! I had not seen these pics before, perfectly clear now. So there's little to no CONVENIENT/USABLE space to be gained with a panel style tonneau. But, a concealed rifle compartment come to mind, lol, or a power rear window that slides down?

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks! I had not seen these pics before, perfectly clear now. So there's little to no CONVENIENT/USABLE space to be gained with a panel style tonneau. But, a concealed rifle compartment come to mind, lol.
It doesn’t seem big enough to fit a rifle case. Maybe a fishing rod broken down into a tube.
They could conceivably make that a ”shelf” at the front of the bed. But they will likely just make the front panel different, such that there’s no slot for the tonneau cover to come out of. Fewer new parts.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
It doesn’t seem big enough to fit a rifle case. Maybe a fishing rod broken down into a tube.
They could conceivably make that a ”shelf” at the front of the bed. But they will likely just make the front panel different, such that there’s no slot for the tonneau cover to come out of. Fewer new parts.
I was thinking just the rifle itself in a rack, like this, lol. Def not my style, but some would....

Rivian R1T R1S will the manual tonneau cover work with the rooftop tent? 1646494867670

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I obsessed about this area quite a bit before I switched back to R1S. In the PNW we have a lot of tree debris - and rain (you might have heard) - and this area is going to get a bunch of mulching pine needles. I never saw anything about cleaning it out and it struck me as a huge maintenance headache down the road.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I obsessed about this area quite a bit before I switched back to R1S. In the PNW we have a lot of tree debris - and rain (you might have heard) - and this area is going to get a bunch of mulching pine needles. I never saw anything about cleaning it out and it struck me as a huge maintenance headache down the road.
I think it will be no worse than sunroof drains

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I met up with an employee with a LE. I specifically ask about water/snow/debris getting into the stack area. He told me there was a drain on both sides of the compartment which should take care of it.
Sponsored