Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
Yeah, nothing really new, I just watched it to soak up more glorious compass yellow... Mmmmm.

I will say that the UI seemed significantly more reactive and performant than any of the previous reviews I've seen.

I noticed for the first time that the normal 20" off-road wheels have tiny yellow Rivian badges in them. I saw the larger badges on the dark wheels, but I like that even the regular ones have a yellow badge.

The one thing I think would be cool is if they switched the yellow layer on the brand badging for the yellow truck—it's the only one you can't see the contrast on. They could do a black contrast for the yellow badging. ?

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
This is the second or third video where I noticed scratches on top of the pop out cup holders. Hope Rivian will address that. Major? No. Acceptable in a 80k vehicle? Shouldn't be.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
3.66 seconds for 0-60. That's from a standstill on 20" AT's.

Apparently, the official way to measure this is from a rolling start at 1 or 2 mph. In a way that makes sense, as you're not measuring static friction but friction in motion, and you're not having to overcome the inertia of zero movement.

I liked some of the camera angles in this video. The speaker brought some interesting insights, but his British humor was lost on me most of the time.

Over all, nice video. Anything to get more info on the R1T!

BTW, in the end he says it's a great truck that should be an immediate buy.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3

Apparently, the official way to measure this is from a rolling start at 1 or 2 mph. In a way that makes sense, as you're not measuring static friction but friction in motion, and you're not having to overcome the inertia of zero movement.
The standard measurement starts when the car crosses a laser/trigger/button that is placed slightly in front of the car. It is just done that way because that was the only/best way of reliably starting the timer before the invention of high tech cameras that could detect the first micron of movement.

Back when the standard was established it was quite reasonable. Now, it is less so. The faster the car, the more that missing 1 foot messes with things. Taken to the extreme, try to measure a rocket by this standard and the 0-60 time would get a negative number.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I liked some of the camera angles in this video. The speaker brought some interesting insights, but his British humor was lost on me most of the time.

Over all, nice video. Anything to get more info on the R1T!

BTW, in the end he says it's a great truck that should be an immediate buy.
I didn't see what the SOC was he ran it at, but that's always a question with EVs.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
The standard measurement starts when the car crosses a laser/trigger/button that is placed slightly in front of the car. It is just done that way because that was the only/best way of reliably starting the timer before the invention of high tech cameras that could detect the first micron of movement.

Back when the standard was established it was quite reasonable. Now, it is less so. The faster the car, the more that missing 1 foot messes with things. Taken to the extreme, try to measure a rocket by this standard and the 0-60 time would get a negative number.
I love the internet! Thanks for this background. ??

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
By the way, when did Rivian add that Gear Tunnel thingy? ?
The R1T is barely making it to consumers’ driveways and already posing on the gear tunnel door, or posing one’s kid or dog on that door, has become the “duck lips” of every R1T reviewer’s photo shoot.

Please - no.

(P.S. - no offense intended, DuckTruck. ?)

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm not tracking the negative value for a rocket. You're saying it's going 60 within a foot of the ground? That doesn't seem right...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

This is the second or third video where I noticed scratches on top of the pop out cup holders. Hope Rivian will address that. Major? No. Acceptable in a 80k vehicle? Shouldn't be.
In the Bloomington-Normal
The R1T is barely making it to consumers’ driveways and already posing on the gear tunnel door, or posing one’s kid or dog on that door, has become the “duck lips” of every R1T reviewer’s photo shoot.

Please - no.

(P.S. - no offense intended, DuckTruck. ?)
None taken! I'd never do either of things! Of course, with no kids and no dogs that's an easy promise. Now, cats are a whole nuther story.... ???

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Damn I love that color ?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I'm not tracking the negative value for a rocket. You're saying it's going 60 within a foot of the ground? That doesn't seem right...
Yes, I am saying that if you are already going 60MPH within the first foot, you would get a negative 0-60 time with a 1ft rollout measurement.

It requires a bit over 100G of acceleration to do it. Obviously not going to happen in a rocket with human cargo (unless you don't mind destroying the cargo). But the HIBEX rocket accelerated at 400G, so yes, a rocket can get to 60 in the first foot.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I am saying that if you are already going 60MPH within the first foot, you would get a negative 0-60 time with a 1ft rollout measurement.

It requires a bit over 100G of acceleration to do it. Obviously not going to happen in a rocket with human cargo (unless you don't mind destroying the cargo). But the HIBEX rocket accelerated at 400G, so yes, a rocket can get to 60 in the first foot.
Yeah, I was visualizing rockets like a space shuttle. I wasn't in a spot to do the math, but was mentally imagining those going off and they didn't seem to accelerate anywhere that quick. :)
Sponsored