Cybertruck Quad-Motor & Crab Walk Feature Announced by Elon Musk

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
And I think it's an especially brilliant stroke of genius to release that kids quad this year, so by the team CT buyers get their trucks, the design will be firmly embedded in the public's mind as that of a child's toy. :like: Well done, Elon.
Or by the time they actually produce a CT all those cyber quad riders will be of driving age...
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As for the looks, I like it more than Rivian's traditional look, but I'm probably in a very small group around here..
Could have ended that thought after "group"

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

It seems logical they will drop the single motor version unless they want to try to compete with the lower end F-150 Lightning. It also probably doesn't make sense to keep the tri-motor version when there is a quad-motor. And that definitely is a response to the R1T. So we'll probably see only duel and quad motor versions. Pricing is the mystery. Where it lands will be very interesting.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I see how it is. :)

Of course there are the preorders.. CT 1,200K >>F150 200K > R1T 50K

Just how desirable is it??
Cybertruck only requires $100 down. Go read on some of the forums and many people placed multiple deposits which will never turn into orders.

Ford only requires $100, but they don't seem to have the fan base that would simply place three preorders.

Rivian requires $1000. For many people that's another level of commitment. Not to mention Rivian is the only startup of the group which makes many people skeptical.

So I don't see the preorders really telling us how the things play out when it comes time for people to actually buy a vehicle. Also add in the fact that the F150 lightning and the Rivian have detailed pricing and specs. The Cybertruck is anyone's guess at this point. If it turns out to be $70k+ and not have the range people expected, things could quickly change.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Cybertruck only requires $100 down. Go read on some of the forums and many people placed multiple deposits which will never turn into orders.

Ford only requires $100, but they don't seem to have the fan base that would simply place three preorders.

Rivian requires $1000. For many people that's another level of commitment. Not to mention Rivian is the only startup of the group which makes many people skeptical.

So I don't see the preorders really telling us how the things play out when it comes time for people to actually buy a vehicle. Also add in the fact that the F150 lightning and the Rivian have detailed pricing and specs. The Cybertruck is anyone's guess at this point. If it turns out to be $70k+ and not have the range people expected, things could quickly change.
Maybe.

I do not agree with your statement though. Anyone putting deposit down has some intent initially and even if 50~60% cancels, its still 500K+ CTs. Much more than 100% follow through for Ford or Rivian - which definitely will not happen.

As one of the early reservation holder for Model 3 (was $1K) and waited couple of years to get the vehicle, I recall many calling the deposit amount as foul play and demanded interest along with their deposit back, back then. So when CT initiated preorders, $100 was an easy way to get people's interests AND more importantly a publicity for CT. I have read already that people crying out for their $1K that Rivian is holding when they found out about the delivery window.

As for the startup status, you're kidding right? They are backed by 100K Amazon vans and equity investments, not to mention all the other significant private investors prior to IPO. The only way Rivian fails to deliver is by intention fraud (something Faraday is being accused of currently). Timing is questionable; hence, all the frustrations by reservation holders.

The market cap of Tesla at the same point as Rivian at IPO was about $2B. Rivian today is around $90B. Has enough cash and cash equivalent to produce vehicles.

The whole point of bringing up the preorder in my post originally was to say that if CT is that ugly (as stated by many herein), why would the desire to own one be that much higher than others. Most people don't buy ugly things by the mass.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Unless the CT hits this market mid 2022, they are going to lose a lot of sales to their competition that actually make competent trucks that look a lot more traditional. Lots of the CT reservation holders expected Tesla to get to market way before everyone else.

Reactions: Guy

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
I do not agree with your statement though. Anyone putting deposit down has some intent initially and even if 50~60% cancels, its still 500K+ CTs. Much more than 100% follow through for Ford or Rivian - which definitely will not happen.
But there's more to it than that. The Rivian has proven itself with thousands of miles of pre-production testing, by Long Way Up, Rebelle Rally, first mile events, the Colorado junket, etc. Ford has an iron-clad reputation, but not much hands-on testing yet. The Cybertruck has taken fans on a 1 mile street drag race.

When Doug DeMuro or Ben Sullins gets their hands on one, and we see how good their torque vectoring is, and respected car publications do their write-ups, then we can judge how many of those orders will become reality. At this point, Rivian waiters are the only group with a solid idea of what we're going to get.

That said, I think no consumer pre-order means as much as 100,000 Amazon trucks.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Maybe.

As one of the early reservation holder for Model 3 (was $1K) and waited couple of years to get the vehicle, I recall many calling the deposit amount as foul play and demanded interest along with their deposit back, back then. So when CT initiated preorders, $100 was an easy way to get people's interests AND more importantly a publicity for CT. I have read already that people crying out for their $1K that Rivian is holding when they found out about the delivery window.

As for the startup status, you're kidding right? They are backed by 100K Amazon vans and equity investments, not to mention all the other significant private investors prior to IPO. The only way Rivian fails to deliver is by intention fraud (something Faraday is being accused of currently). Timing is questionable; hence, all the frustrations by reservation holders.

The market cap of Tesla at the same point as Rivian at IPO was about $2B. Rivian today is around $90B. Has enough cash and cash equivalent to produce vehicles.

The whole point of bringing up the preorder in my post originally was to say that if CT is that ugly (as stated by many herein), why would the desire to own one be that much higher than others. Most people don't buy ugly things by the mass.
So far Rivian hasn't delivered a vehicle to a customer. Rivian isn't in the clear. They are still a startup who hasn't delivered a product and there is risk associated with that. I have a lot of friends who are seriously considering a Rivian, but would never consider the CyberTruck or Lightning. However, they are still taking the wait and see approach. Once they get out of the "startup" phase their orders could really take off.

I believe many CyberTruck reservations will turn into orders. No doubt. But when it was announced, Rivian was barely known, and the F150 lightning didn't exist. Combine that with a low $100 initial deposit and $39k starting price which will never happen, they had a huge number of pre-orders. Now it's been long delays, cancelling the entry level truck, inflation, and competition. They will lose a lot of those pre-orders to other trucks or vehicles.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

But there's more to it than that. The Rivian has proven itself with thousands of miles of pre-production testing, by Long Way Up, Rebelle Rally, first mile events, the Colorado junket, etc. Ford has an iron-clad reputation, but not much hands-on testing yet. The Cybertruck has taken fans on a 1 mile street drag race.

When Doug DeMuro or Ben Sullins gets their hands on one, and we see how good their torque vectoring is, and respected car publications do their write-ups, then we can judge how many of those orders will become reality. At this point, Rivian waiters are the only group with a solid idea of what we're going to get.

That said, I think no consumer pre-order means as much as 100,000 Amazon trucks.
How about billion miles from 1.5 million Teslas in the real world?

How many Ford miles on electric drivetrain? Rivian without factory support chase vehicles? I watched Long Way Up and it was good.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

So far Rivian hasn't delivered a vehicle to a customer. Rivian isn't in the clear. They are still a startup who hasn't delivered a product and there is risk associated with that. I have a lot of friends who are seriously considering a Rivian, but would never consider the CyberTruck or Lightning. However, they are still taking the wait and see approach. Once they get out of the "startup" phase their orders could really take off.

I believe many CyberTruck reservations will turn into orders. No doubt. But when it was announced, Rivian was barely known, and the F150 lightning didn't exist. Combine that with a low $100 initial deposit and $39k starting price which will never happen, they had a huge number of pre-orders. Now it's been long delays, cancelling the entry level truck, inflation, and competition. They will lose a lot of those pre-orders to other trucks or vehicles.
Tesla reported less than 600k preorders after the initial show and tell. It was this fall that they released 1.2M reservations. Weā€™ll after the Hummer, F150 and R1T announcements.

Look, Iā€™m not being a Tesla fanboy or trolling. Itā€™s just a fact and the data sets you free from all the conjecture and opinions.

I am both Tesla and Rivian stockholder and have reservation for R1S. My wife likes boxy SUV and reminds her of Range Rover. I ordered Model 3 for her to commute to work in and use HOV lane in CA. Personally, Iā€™m waiting for a two seater EV sports car.

BradSomrak

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜16 Jeep.
Occupation
Atty.
why would the desire to own one be that much higher than others. Most people don't buy ugly things by the mass.
I see large masses of people collectively doing head scratching things allllllllllllll the time. Citing a mob as a basis for validationā€¦ā€¦.not from me.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
How about billion miles from 1.5 million Teslas in the real world?
Not one with quad motors offroad. This is a different beast. Yes, they have a lot of experience, but they havenā€™t built a 4x4 yet. At least not one that weā€™ve seen.

And ya knowā€¦ since itā€™s been two years since it was announced, Iā€™m a little mystified as to WHY we havenā€™t seen more of a demonstration. ā€œItā€™s a prototype!ā€ Yeah, and those Rivians on Long Way Up were prototypes, #001 and #002. Why isnā€™t Tesla showing us what this truck can do? It was supposed to be on sale by now. Are you telling me they donā€™t even have a working pre-production model yet?

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I see large masses of people collectively doing head scratching things allllllllllllll the time. Citing a mob as a basis for validationā€¦ā€¦.not from me.
Nice. Take it out of the context.

What mob???
Sponsored