Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Every week (everyday?), I change my mind about buying a R1S or R1T.

I built a simple model to help make the choice easier but, because how I weigh factors can change daily, outcomes may not become clearer. But the exercise may still be worth the effort, if I'm thinking more cogently about choices. At least that's the hope.

I wanted to share my model, ask for improvements, and see if we, as a forum, can create something better. I'm sure we can. Let's play.

Scoring: 0-3 pts; split scores, 1.5 per, allowed
Decision Criteria
R1S__________________R1T
1. carrying people & animals vs carrying stuff
2. vehicle security (fully metal enclosed vs tonneau covered bed)
3. length/maneuverability
4. utility & versatility
5. loadability (ease of loading/unloading)
6. urban vs non-urban driving
7. cost (basic vs fully loaded costs)
8. availability (R1Ts will be first off the line)
9. climate conditioned vs au naturel camping
10. looks (highly subjective but clearly important)
TOTALS

*My run yielded 15.0 points for each vehicle. My model didn't yield a winner, but it helped me think through the choices.

**Ideally, criteria are independent variables. I don't know how to make this happen and, maybe in real life, it's not important; how we feel about one criterion affects others. For example, loadability affects maneuverability. This could be collapsed into one variable or teased out, as I've done. In doing so, multicollinearity (when two variables affect each other) contaminates the sample. Expand or collapse criteria?

***Thoughts. A wider range of points, say 0 to 5, might allow for finer discrimination, but it also requires higher levels of discrimination than I'm able to make. Criteria may be added or subtracted and, in doing so, it may or may not become easier to make a decision.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
I go back and forth as well.

Animals (2 large dogs)
- I do wish the R1T backseats flipped up or folded into a platform.

Length
- Needs to fit in the garage.

Looks
- Visually I like the truck better.

I'm hoping when I get to see it in person and test drive the decision becomes clear.

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I saw both at the Mill Valley/SF event. The R1S was sleek and sexy, and I wanted one, but the R1T was way cool with its gear tunnel, roof racks, and potential to mount whatever you want in the bed without the constraints of the R1S's extended roof line and fixed interior. The R1T's rear wheel arches flair like haunches after the gear tunnel, giving it a very appealing, athletic line. But the R1T's downside is the gear tunnel's length. Crazy good on a trip, but an in-town parking and maneuvering hassle.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Here's how I break it down (full disclosure - I am firmly in the R1S camp)

1. carrying people & animals vs carrying stuff - R1S = 2, R1T = 1
2. vehicle security (fully metal enclosed vs tonneau covered bed) R1S = 1.5, R1T =1.5 (Kind of not concerned with either option here but hoping for Sentry Mode)
3. length/maneuverability R1S = 2, R1T = 1 - R1S shorter wheelbase for off road run
4. utility & versatility (R1S = 1.5, R1T = 1.5) - for the time I need to haul "stuff" I have a 16' trailer just need a hitch on the R1S
5. loadability (ease of loading/unloading) R1S = 1.5, R1T = 1.5
6. urban vs non-urban driving R1S = 3 R1T = 0 (I like the R1S for both urban and off road better)
7. cost (basic vs fully loaded costs) R1S = 1, R1T = 2 ( I think the R1T is cheaper at all trim levels)
8. availability (R1Ts will be first off the line) Not concerned with being first so this is a tie. 1.5 each.
9. climate conditioned vs au natural camping (I'm too old to sleep in the heat... R1S = 3) *Need to see exactly how the R1S sets up for sleeping in it for this score to stick... still unknown.
10. looks (highly subjective but clearly important). 1.5 point Each I think they both look great.
TOTALS R1S = 18.5 R1T = 11.5

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bajadahl, any criteria to add? Should any criteria be reworded/redefined? Anything important to you that's not covered by the criteria list?

Sponsored

Rob P

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Range Rover HSE Supercharged, 2014 BMW 650 convertible, 2014 Mercedes C class wife, 4 Dodge Rams trucks for work
Occupation
Own a Landscape and Christmas decorating company
For me I am going with the R1s over the pickup for these reasons. Gear tunnel is too short to put my skis in it and the bed is too short to put the skis in the bed. If it was a little bigger in width and bed length I would have hands down chosen the pickup for practical reasons. I also have a longboard surfboard for small days and if I am going to rack up a 10 foot board I might as well do it on the SUV. Possibly I might get the 3rd row seats if I can live with the shorter range which I am still on the fence on as I think battery tech may improve and more level 2 chargers pop up . Also I love the looks of the SUV.

Reactions: Max

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Great discussion...I am also on the fence and for me, I have been waiting basically since the announcement back in November 2018. I am to the point of getting the first available vehicle, which is the R1T, but my preference is the R1S. If they decide to build at the same time (I know right now it linear with about a quarter gap) I would go with the R1S. I think I will like the cornering better on the shorter wheel base. But I could change my mind again.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
bajadahl, any criteria to add? Should any criteria be reworded/redefined? Anything important to you that's not covered by the criteria list?
The only thing I can think of that I actually considered was the cool factor of the Tunnel Kitchen and other possible features that will make these vehicles unique.... If I were younger and prepared to tent or roof camp I would be all over that tunnel kitchen. However, as my daily driver I would want it easily removable for storing in the garage for my day to day travels. What other cool "Easter eggs or features" might each vehicle have available that would sway my decision.... Also, every picture I have seen shows the R1S with very conservative all weather road tires where as the truck has a more aggressive "off-road" tire. I am really on the fence about the type of tire available for the R1S... 90% of the time I'll be on road but I want to be able to do a little overlanding also....

Maybe all this can fit into an "intangible's category" where the contributor can give points based on whatever they are thinking about their specific needs/desires for the vehicle that don't easily fit in one of your predefined categories.

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bajadahl and others, as I've thought more, age and income are hugely important in swaying our preferences for a R1S or R1T. For hip, young, vehicle design engineers who skateboard, surf, mountain bike and camp, the gear tunnel was way cool and not just for loading but also for sitting while re-gearing and generally - shall I say it? - posing. Not a bad thing but definitely associated with younger days in our lives.

Somewhere RJ says he expects a 55-45 percent split in favor of the R1T but, again, RJ is in that young demographic and a mountain biker. Our own forum members reported a 52-48 split, according to johnking's calculations.

When folks finally pick up orders, I won't be surprised if the split is 50-50. Why? Again, age and income. Rivians are expensive vehicles. No matter how cool they are, and informed by a Patagonia vibe, they require much better than average incomes to afford. The average purchase price of autos is around $35K and trucks around $45K, and those are pre-pandemic averages. If an average Rivian costs $72.5K, you're notably narrowing the target demographic, even if that was always the plan from the start. Adventurous forever doesn't appeal to everyone.

I'm not being critical, just thoughtful and realistic. If we factor in age and income into our decision matrix, R1S sales will likely equal and perhaps exceed R1T sales. The gear tunnel says it all. When you look it, do you say, "awesome" or "hey, what?" That likely correlates with age and income.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Seems the most important criterion of all (IMO) "Delivers first" is missing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AJ, it's number 8 on the list, under availability. Unfortunately, we don't know how much of a lag there will be between R1Ts and R1Ss. Originally, it seemed like it might be a month or two but, now, it's anyone's guess.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
AJ, it's number 8 on the list, under availability. Unfortunately, we don't know how much of a lag there will be between R1Ts and R1Ss. Originally, it seemed like it might be a month or two but, now, it's anyone's guess.
And for some it may be a matter of which "manufacturer" delivers first as people have made more than one pre-order deposit. ;)

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Just a note on your vehicle security - many companies (my wife's is one) no longer allow employees to rent SUV's when traveling as it's relatively easy to see inside (even with tint) and smashing a window gains access to everything in the vehicle.

Both models will have the frunk to secure luggage/laptops/etc. Anything that won't fit there is perhaps more vulnerable in the R1S.

OP
OP
Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For fence sitters, including myself, we could add a "woulda, coulda, shoulda" criterion. This is the one in a hundred situation when we say, "damn, I should have a R1S or a R1T."

This likely happens in one of two situations. Either the in-laws arrive and you want to take out everyone in one vehicle; a R1S with three seating rows situation. Or you're in the boonies, and you want to load up everything, including firewood, camp stove, etc. or set up camp for a week. A R1T situation.

In either situation, if you've got a second vehicle (or trailer), you're not forced to choose. But this is the time when you are forced to make a woulda, coulda, shoulda choice for one and only one vehicle.

Which is it? Again, this works for fence sitters. If you're firmly in a camp, you've made your choice.
Sponsored

Last edited: