Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Link

"Rivian has hired about 1,000 people in central Illinois in the last three months. As of Monday, the company said it has 3,060 workers at its plant in Normal, easily making the company McLean County's third largest employer, ahead of Country Financial and behind Illinois State University and State Farm."
Sponsored

FortyTwo

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Scion tC
Clubs

When I was there on October 1, the employee lot was absolutely packed and people were coming and going. I was surprised to see so many people but it was really encouraging!

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
With that many employees Rivian must be building more than Prime vans. Good chance they are building LEs too.
From their web site:
"Teams in Normal include manufacturing engineering and operations, supply chain and logistics, IT, quality and customer engagement."

I'm going to guess that 40% - 50%, maybe more, of those 3,000 jobs are not production workers. Looking at their Careers web site, it seems they are still understaffed at Normal. There are a lot of job listings for stamping, paint, body, etc.

They manufacture alot of their own components from what I have read. So alot of these factory workers may not be building vehicles, but are building Rivian parts inventory that might not be used for 3 to 10 weeks.

Rivian R1T R1S Report: Rivian workers top 3,000 at Normal Plant 1634097844275

Rivian R1T R1S Report: Rivian workers top 3,000 at Normal Plant 1634098097640

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
From their web site:
"Teams in Normal include manufacturing engineering and operations, supply chain and logistics, IT, quality and customer engagement."

I'm going to guess that 40% - 50%, maybe more, of those 3,000 jobs are not production workers. Looking at their Careers web site, it seems they are still understaffed at Normal. There are a lot of job listings for stamping, paint, body, etc.

They manufacture alot of their own components from what I have read. So alot of these factory workers may not be building vehicles, but are building Rivian parts inventory that might not be used for 3 to 10 weeks.

1634097844275.png

1634098097640.png
I would be surprised if they were not understaffed. Look around the whole country in many categories companies are understaffed.

It is a great time to be looking for work, problem is seems like more job openings than willing candidates.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I would be surprised if they were not understaffed. Look around the whole country in many categories is understaffed.

It is a great time to be looking for work, problem is seems like more job openings than willing candidates.
I am sure they are under staffed. There are 1500+ job postings but I think there are enough folks to take care of the vans and to produce the R1Ts for their employees. I am thinking 500+ employee customers

Yesterday CS confirmed that they are in production but have not started the production ramp.

Delays for sure, even expected but failure, IMHO that will not happen.

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I am sure they are under staffed. There are 1500+ job postings but I think there are enough folks to take care of the vans and to produce the R1Ts for there employees. I am thinking 500+ employee customers

Yesterday CS confirmed that they are in production but have not started the production ramp.

Delays for sure, even expected but failure, IMHO that will not happen.

Those 1500 positions are nation wide with over 1000 of them in California. Illinois only has 204 job openings.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Those 1500 positions are nation wide with over 1000 of them in California. Illinois only has 204 job openings.
That may be true, but according to the article they are still looking to add 1-2000 more in Normal. They are probably going to add jobs as they ramp up.

"If the automaker's previously announced plans for continued expansion to 4,000 to 5,000 by the end of 2022 come true, Rivian would pass ISU on the employment meter sometime next year. "

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
When it comes to the production positions, it's almost certain that a single posting such as "Team Member - Assembly Production" represents more than one available job - could be 10, 100, or 500.

Regan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia, Mercedes
Occupation
Retired
Link

"Rivian has hired about 1,000 people in central Illinois in the last three months. As of Monday, the company said it has 3,060 workers at its plant in Normal, easily making the company McLean County's third largest employer, ahead of Country Financial and behind Illinois State University and State Farm."
I hope one of those people is a PR Person

DocAdvocate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian
I hope one of those people is a PR Person
They need more than one. Rivian is understaffed at key positions to the point where they don't have enough time/resources to properly vet and acquire that additional talent. My guess is they'll be playing catch-up until early 2022 when all the drive events and press things for the R1T and R1S finally start to slow down.

Its so much more than that too. What about the roaming service? That's supposed to be a nation-wide network, I'm sure they need to ramp that up. How about the service and sales centers? They need people with acquiring land, getting it permitted and contructing it. Then they have to staff them. How about the RAN and other chargers? They want to build tens of thousands of those, how many more resources do they need to negotiate contracts with local/state/federal government and build those? And then double everything if you want to expand into England and Europe.

Yes they are understaffed.
Sponsored