Best trip planner with charging waypoints

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
So the R1T will be my first EV. Wondering what app everyone is using for their trip planning. Which one has been the most accurate and useful for you all? I’ve played around with PlugShare, ABRP and EV companion up to this point. Also wondering if EVPassport service is being adopted nationally from people’s experience
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
So the R1T will be my first EV. Wondering what app everyone is using for their trip planning. Which one has been the most accurate and useful for you all? I’ve played around with PlugShare, ABRP and EV companion up to this point. Also wondering if EVPassport service is being adopted nationally from people’s experience
One would hope that Rivian's app is the best. Would be disappointing if it wasn't very good.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Of those, the best one IMHO is PlugShare because it allows the social aspect where people can put real-time data about the status of the chargers. It also has the most flexible options in terms of filtering different types of plugs and plug capability _and then_ doing a trip route based on those filters.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Of those, the best one IMHO is PlugShare because it allows the social aspect where people can put real-time data about the status of the chargers. It also has the most flexible options in terms of filtering different types of plugs and plug capability _and then_ doing a trip route based on those filters.
I agree with Svet! I use PlugShare the most too for the same reasons. I ALWAYS look at the user comments to see if the chargers are working. Did a trip from E. Washington to So. Calif. a year ago and used PS on Android auto for planning and while traveling.

I hear good things about ABRP and have messed with it a bit, but seem to struggle getting it setup and working.

My plan is to use both the Rivian nav system with my Android PS as a backup until we all see how good the Rivian nav works.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A combination of ABRP (main planning), Plugshare (to look at selected charging stops), and sometimes the app for the charging networks I plan on hitting.

Rivians route planning is an unknown at this point.

EVPassport is not being widely adopted AFAIK. I had to Google it to even see who they were and what they did.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The problem with PlugShare is that no one may have "checked in" at the station you want to use for a month or more so the check in data is way out of date. And it doesn't show you how busy a DCFC is in real time. ABRP does all this and its actual planner is much more sophisticated than anyone elses (that I know of). But it won't show a 5 kW J1772 at some country store that you plan to use. So the answer is both (and/or any other one(s) you find you like).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The problem with PlugShare is that no one may have "checked in" at the station you want to use for a month or more so the check in data is way out of date. And it doesn't show you how busy a DCFC is in real time. ABRP does all this and its actual planner is much more sophisticated than anyone elses (that I know of). But it won't show a 5 kW J1772 at some country store that you plan to use. So the answer is both (and/or any other one(s) you find you like).
I think plug share pulls in EA's device status automatically just like ABRP (at a minimum). Otherwise, agreed. As with most people, I'll use both. I generally will route plan with ABRP, and if I get on a route that gives me pause for charger redundancy or I haven't been to before, I'll give plugshare a look (assuming I remember to).

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
I've come to rely on plugshare, especially the social features where people report any problems/how to get the charger turned on, other things like that.

That said, Electrify America is a decent app as well.

However the holy grail for me is A Better Route Planner. ABRP. Website is: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

You tell it what car you have (has Rivian's in 'Beta' with even Max Pack option) and it'll filter on what type of plugs are available wear (you can lower/raise KW rating too, say you don't want to see < 50 KW charger) and it'll plan the trip. You can add start/stop times, what % battery you want to leave/arrive at. It's really good, I pay them for their service too (optional)

I have no commercial interest in them, they've just been the most useful for me. Tesla's provide so much data you can log into your car and it'll update it. I hope Rivian and other manufacturers give us the detail Tesla does. It's a killer feature

OP
OP

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I've come to rely on plugshare, especially the social features where people report any problems/how to get the charger turned on, other things like that.

That said, Electrify America is a decent app as well.

However the holy grail for me is A Better Route Planner. ABRP. Website is: https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

You tell it what car you have (has Rivian's in 'Beta' with even Max Pack option) and it'll filter on what type of plugs are available wear (you can lower/raise KW rating too, say you don't want to see < 50 KW charger) and it'll plan the trip. You can add start/stop times, what % battery you want to leave/arrive at. It's really good, I pay them for their service too (optional)

I have no commercial interest in them, they've just been the most useful for me. Tesla's provide so much data you can log into your car and it'll update it. I hope Rivian and other manufacturers give us the detail Tesla does. It's a killer feature
You use the website vs the app? Do you pay for the extra paid features ?

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
You use the website vs the app? Do you pay for the extra paid features ?
I use the website when planning, and the app occasionally on the road. The trip planner in the Tesla is pretty useful once you're going, but it doesn't time you charging stops as well as ABRP does, so I use ABRP to find my stops, and then manually manage them while driving on the big screen.

I pay for it, more to support them not sure you have to so that it works, thinks it lets me save more than one type of vehicle and save some trip plans.

Sponsored

OP
OP

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I use the website when planning, and the app occasionally on the road. The trip planner in the Tesla is pretty useful once you're going, but it doesn't time you charging stops as well as ABRP does, so I use ABRP to find my stops, and then manually manage them while driving on the big screen.

I pay for it, more to support them not sure you have to so that it works, thinks it lets me save more than one type of vehicle and save some trip plans.
It also allows you to get the live status of the chargers. Don’t believe you get that with free. Thanks for all the information ??

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I can't get abetterrouteplanner to follow the route I want to take. I enter begin and end points and it says "this is your route". Is there any way to edit the route besides entering waypoints every five miles?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I can't get abetterrouteplanner to follow the route I want to take. I enter begin and end points and it says "this is your route". Is there any way to edit the route besides entering waypoints every five miles?
Sometimes you do have to wrestle with it a bit in order to get it to go the way you want to go. Adding way points is one way to do that. Selecting "don't use this charger" is another. You also have choice of optimality criterion (paid version only?) which will change the route it picks for you.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

As a few people mentioned ABRP + plugshare + common sense. I did a route a few months back where I wanted to wait for 2 hours at a location on a L2 charger and ABRP said to go somewhere 75 miles out of the way. So just look at where things are and plan accordingly, personally I just take everything with a grain of salt and just assume it may not work or to overplan etc.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
As a few people mentioned ABRP + plugshare + common sense. I did a route a few months back where I wanted to wait for 2 hours at a location on a L2 charger and ABRP said to go somewhere 75 miles out of the way. So just look at where things are and plan accordingly, personally I just take everything with a grain of salt and just assume it may not work or to overplan etc.
You can manually tell ABRP that you will charging for x hours at y kW at any waypoint you put in (even if a charger is not listed there).
Sponsored