Hunting in your Rivian

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Starting this thread for folks who plan to use their Rivian as a hunting rig. Once we actually get our trucks, we can post pics and stories of our successes. Until then, what plans do you have for hunting with your Rivian?

For me, I am mostly a western big game hunter. Elk, mule deer and antelope are my focus, but I will also get some predator tags (bear, wolf, coyote, mountain lion) if they are abundant in the areas I will be hunting. I hunt exclusively on public lands, mostly in UT, MT and WY. This coming season I have bull and cow elk tags in UT, cow elk and doe tags in MT and bull and cow elk, buck deer and buck antelope in WY. It’s going to be a busy fall! I also occasionally do an upland bird hunt somewhere in the upper Midwest with a group of guys I know. My big game hunting is usually solo or with my son. I love the time outdoors all by myself.

Getting to the places I hunt is usually a combination of highway driving, maintained gravel roads, unmaintained forest service and fire roads and a lot of hiking. This is new territory for EV’s. I feel confident in the Rivian’s offroad capabilities, but charging is the part that concerns me. It’ll be interesting to see the range impacts once the truck leaves the pavement. Feel free to leave your thoughts and experiences about that in this thread, or start another one for that topic since it will be applicable to more than just hunters.

I was hoping to get my truck (R1T LE 9/2019 preorder) during season this year, but that’s now looking highly unlikely. So I will look forward to some great fun in it next season! Good luck and safe hunting to all the hunters out there this season!

Rivian R1T R1S Hunting in your Rivian 3E130D58-3AC4-4ADD-9765-B7044DCF067B
Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I got drawn for my first cow elk in northern Arizona. I have been on a few different hunts, but this will be my first experience as the hunter. I am looking forward to it.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Looking forward to the driving stories going through WY and MT. Watched a video of the Out of Spec guys and a Tesla YouTuber going across Montana and it looked painful. Super slow driving to maintain range, charging at random campsites and businesses. Hopefully they get some RAN locations operational up there sooner rather than later

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
My wife and I do some Whitetail hunting. Mostly on prepared green fields. Getting to the fields is nothing too extreme but I'm hoping that we can get a little closer than in an ICE vehicle. That's why I'm hoping the Pedestrian Warning System can be turned off.

OP
OP
Gshenderson

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking forward to the driving stories going through WY and MT. Watched a video of the Out of Spec guys and a Tesla YouTuber going across Montana and it looked painful. Super slow driving to maintain range, charging at random campsites and businesses. Hopefully they get some RAN locations operational up there sooner rather than later
That was intentional I believe. They made a conscious decision to only us L2 charging. Tesla has decent coverage along the interstates in MT and some other popular routes like Big Sky / West Yellowstone. If you want to traverse via state routes along the high line north of I-90, then you won’t find many superchargers until you hit Idaho. Non-Tesla DCFC is almost non-existent in MT currently.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
EA will be along the interstate soon too. But yeah, ID, MT, SD, and ND are wastelands for DCFC.

OP
OP
Gshenderson

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EA will be along the interstate soon too. But yeah, ID, MT, SD, and ND are wastelands for DCFC.
There you go using the “S” word! ?

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

EVSport7,

In Greg and me (pardon me if any rules of grammer were broken), you are preaching to the choir. The Intermountain West is the perfect place to Adventure in a Rivian. The adventure shouldn't be to conquer range anxiety, it should be to conquer the range.... and the mountains, and the valleys, and.... well, I know you get my point.

I've said it before, but we need more "Zip for our Trip!" That only comes from a Tennessee-type plan to have chargers available every so many miles. Maybe not every 50 miles, but some reasonable grid is going to be needed if we plan to make EVs appear viable as replacements to the masses in their ICEmobiles. That space within "the masses" takes one step to the right when talking about Congress.

We all know that any charging grid will be expensive, but what's another trillion dollars when you're printing up new mountains of money every day? Besides, we've already been told that inflation shouldn't be a worry. To update the old saying from the late Illinois Senator, Everett Dirksen, as he warned about runaway spending, "a trillion here, a trillion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money."

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Incidental usage. That's only a 5 yard penalty.
If every foul resulted in a penalty of "half the distance to the goal line", we're never gonna get there....

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
The R1s are going to be great for wildlife viewing & more silently getting to spots for viewing/hunting.

Between the slience & lack of exhaust fumes, this will be great for hog hunting down here in TX. I normally take a single deer to fill the freezer, but our entire state needs to eliminate as many hogs as possible...they cause literally billions in damage to agriculture, not to mention our ecosystems.

Texasag05

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-250 King Ranch, 2022 Bronco OB Sasquatch
Occupation
EVP, paving highways to drive these awesome vehicles
Unfortunately I’m in Texas so for the big hunts way out will probably need to stick to the 250. But I will use for some local dove hunts and other shotgun events with my sidekick.
Sponsored