DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Luxury is in the eye of the beholder.

Many see Tesla as falling far short of that designation due to the spartan interiors, ride quality, fit & finish issues, etc.

Cost alone does not put a vehicle in the luxury class.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Well, I am going to drop it... Because I think you're being pedantic on this topic. and further discussion with you is not productive.
You stole the words right out my mouth.

Enjoy your evening! Can't wait to get back to agreeing with you.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large

Many see Tesla as falling far short of that designation due to the spartan interiors, ride quality, fit & finish issues, etc.

Definitely. Anyone who thinks Teslas are luxury cars need to sample a few more options.

Our $45k Volvo is WAY more luxurious than our $100k Model X.

FPHater

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have an electric longboard
Occupation
Retired Air Force
I'm not sure what your point is? Is it just racism?

How is this different than Honda? Or Toyota? Or Nissan? Or BMW? Or Mercedes?

Heck, Ford/GM build a significant portion of their vehicles internationally. Even the ones that do get assembled in the States are made primarily from foreign materials/components.

It's 2021. The economy is global.
Why does it have to be racism? Could it be more likely that China is run by an oppressive regime that actively operates religious internment camps with approximately 1.5 million Uyghur prisoners? And perhaps some people have a problem indirectly supporting that system?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why does it have to be racism? Could it be more likely that China is run by an oppressive regime that actively operates religious internment camps with approximately 1.5 million Uyghur prisoners? And perhaps some people have a problem indirectly supporting that system?
Those who live in glass houses should not cast stones.

The USA has an extensive list of moral and ethical violations. War crimes, even.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Any chance a moderator can come clean up a bunch of this thread? My goodness.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I am going to weigh in with an opinion. I think it is the correct one that is why I have it but am open to being wrong about it.

Luxury vehicles are significantly about the service experience. Whether that be a dealership or direct to consumer model. The product needs to be opulent and premium as well but that is also very subjective.

We have debated the product's luxury status on this forum due to lack of ability to physically see the final product. Rivian trucks could meet our individual definitions of Luxury, the specs indicate it will ...

Regarding service I will quote Merriam Websters definition of luxury #1 a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort. It is the ease and comfort portion that I will focus on, NOBODY wants to sit in a service waiting room, be without their vehicle, be treated with indifference sometimes animosity, and many who have the money are willing to pay to have the better Luxury experience. That is where my opinion of luxury comes in, I think this service experience is 50% or more of what makes a car/brand luxurious.

Will Rivian be a luxury brand? They want to be, I was very optimistic until about April. We have all debated their strategy and I am not trying to restart that conversation but their communication strategy has not indicated a luxury experience to me. It may very well end up being luxury, but if I am going to spend what they are asking for a vehicle I don't want to be left by the side of the road as it were.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I am going to weigh in with an opinion. I think it is the correct one that is why I have it but am open to being wrong about it.

Luxury vehicles are significantly about the service experience. Whether that be a dealership or direct to consumer model. The product needs to be opulent and premium as well but that is also very subjective.

We have debated on this forum due to lack of ability to physically see the final product if Rivian trucks will meet our individual definitions of Luxury, the specs would indicate it could be...

Regarding service I will quote Merriam Websters definition #1 a condition of abundance or great ease and comfort. It is the ease and comfort portion that I will focus on, NOBODY wants to sit in a service waiting room, be without their vehicle, be treated with indifference sometimes animosity, and many who have the money are willing to pay to have the better Luxury experience. That is where my opinion of luxury comes in, I think this service experience is 50% or more of what makes a car/brand luxurious.

Will Rivian be a luxury brand? They want to be, I was very optimistic until about April. We have all debated their strategy and I am not trying to restart that conversation but their communication strategy has not indicated a luxury experience to me. It may very well end up being luxury, but if I am going to spend what they are asking for a vehicle I don't want to be left by the side of the road as it were.
I agree!

- IMO Rivian's plan is to be a luxury vehicle and not a vehicle for the masses. It's marketing has been clearly directed towards a select segment of potential customers.
- The lack of communication is frustrating, especially for folks like myself that are looking to transition to EV in the short term. Back in March 2021 it appeared that Rivian would be first to market and would be a great vehicle. The price was on the high side for me but I thought that I would go for it in order to get an EV truck in the short term to meet my needs and wants.
- Now, with the release of the Lightning and other EV vehicles there are more choices.
- The EV market seems to be exploding at the same time the world is dealing with the aftermath of covid. So choices aside, everything is going to be significantly delayed.
- Rivian IMHO is focused on delivering the absolute best vehicles and customer experience at the time of delivery. If that goes poorly then that will be a major hit to their long term plan of selling luxury vehicles. Upsetting deposit holders in it's initial roll out for delays in delivery due to a myriad of constraints will hurt somewhat but should not have a long term negative effect.

I intend to keep my reservation for an R1T 400+ for now.

Frustrating to wait, especially in silence, but wait we must!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Those who live in glass houses should not cast stones.

The USA has an extensive list of moral and ethical violations. War crimes, even.
I'm with @FPHater I think.
I would not immediately jump to the conclusion the original post was racism. My first thought is it is likely nationalism. I totaly agree with you that we have a global economy and that every large automaker uses similar strategy mostly and that I'm not sure exactly what their original point was to the post in question. However I am proudly nationalist I believe my country of origin (U.S.A.) is not without issue but still superior to all others. I am not sorry for this belief I will not be apologizing to anyone ever for this believe and I do not feel it is racist. I believe the people of China are a fine bunch I respect their rich culture and history and equally wish they all had the great benefit I have of being American, that is to say a citizen of the U.S.A.
I also believe hate or the feeling of superiority based on race (racism) is vile. As such I think there are many who should slow down on their seemingly casual use of the term.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The OP simply reposted a picture from the official Polestar account, which happens to mention that it's built in the same state as the OP resides, which I'm sure is exciting (Just as it would be exciting to me if Rivian was being built near where I live).

The fact that some folks see any of that as being 'racist' is absolutely laughable.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm with @FPHater I think.
I would not immediately jump to the conclusion the original post was racism. My first thought is it is likely nationalism. I totaly agree with you that we have a global economy and that every large automaker uses similar strategy mostly and that I'm not sure exactly what their original point was to the post in question. However I am proudly nationalist I believe my country of origin (U.S.A.) is not without issue but still superior to all others. I am not sorry for this belief I will not be apologizing to anyone ever for this believe and I do not feel it is racist. I believe the people of China are a fine bunch I respect their rich culture and history and equally wish they all had the great benefit I have of being American, that is to say a citizen of the U.S.A.
I also believe hate or the feeling of superiority based on race (racism) is vile. As such I think there are many who should slow down on their seemingly casual use of the term.
There's a difference between feeling patriotic and thinking your country is "better" than another. Any racism and excessive nationalism (fine to be proud, but don't look down on others) are both abhorrent and unenlightened, as far as I'm concerned.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

Tesla, is not a luxurious vehicle. Not by a long shot.
Sponsored