Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it??

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Does anyone know who makes the Rivian Wall Charger?? I'm assuming they contracted with one of the charger companies to make it for them.
Sponsored

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

Does anyone know who makes the Rivian Wall Charger?? I'm assuming they contracted with one of the charger companies to make it for them.
When I initially found the accessory images, the image name for the charging station was "wallbox", so I assume Wallbox is making them.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
It wasn’t Apple.
...and I’m fully awaiting that CommodoreAmiga with that red and white checkered sphere to hijack this thread with why Apple CarPlay isn’t available, but I digress from the charger manufacturer.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
When I initially found the accessory images, the image name for the charging station was "wallbox", so I assume Wallbox is making them.
Could be. We do know that the Wallbox web site features a partial image of a Rivian. They've also referred to it as "the wall box" so who knows.

Sponsored

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I checked the box to include that Rivian wall charger for $500, but I’m sure wrestling with just having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and using the portable charger that comes with the vehicle - that setup would be fine for my around-town daily needs. I could then go to a local fast charger the few times a year I might need to top up before a long out-of-town trip. Heck, I could probably get along fine just using a standard 120V outlet… ?

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I checked the box to include that Rivian wall charger for $500, but I’m sure wrestling with just having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and using the portable charger that comes with the vehicle - that setup would be fine for my around-town daily needs. I could then go to a local fast charger the few times a year I might need to top up before a long out-of-town trip. Heck, I could probably get along fine just using a standard 120V outlet… ?
I basically did this for four years - didn’t get the Tesla wall charger and just used the mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage. I originally thought I would unplug it and bring it with me on road trips, but honestly I never once unplugged it.

I’m kicking around getting the wall charger this time - just because of my OCD and it’s a cleaner looks in my garage. The 25 ft cord is nice also, as my plug/charger isn’t right next to where the truck will be.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Already have a 14-50 garage outlet on a 60 amp breaker circuit, self installed, have added the Rivian charger, and was considering adding a "plug" to the end of the intended "hard wired" end, and just plugging it in. Otherwise, would replace the 14-50 outlet with a junction box, and hardwire/connect it there with twist tie connectors? Since it's unlikely would ever be plugging and unplugging the 14-50 very often, a connection is a connection, and don't see the harm. Any electricians want to weigh in here?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
When I got my first Tesla I would not have wanted to venture out on a road trip without the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector) and my vast collection of adapters and extension cords on board. While I am now much more secure and the SC network has been enlarged substantially I still go places where the SC network has not yet reached and so I still carry that stuff and I still think the UMC belongs in the car. So I have wall chargers. They can, in new, or even old construction, make for
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it?? IMG_1546
a really neat installation and it's hard to beat the convenience. The unit in the photo is a WallBox Pulsar Plus which is what they are selling in the US now. Certainly the Rivian unit is not a Plus in a case with the Rivian logo on it and the pistol seems to be a different shape but that does not mean that Rivian has not contracted with WallBox. WallBox seems a good candidate. But of course the Rivian offering could be made by any of numerous manyfacturers, Note that I also have a 14-50R. There are several "chargers" (technically they are EVSE) on the market that can plug into a 14-50R and deliver 40 A charging. Some of these can be affixed to the wall and others are portable. Also note that the 14-50R is being used here to "back feed" the building so I can have some lights in there while I'm working and, of course, test and commission the EVSE. This building is NOT connected to the grid. DO NOT DO THIS IN A GRID CONNECTED BUILDING. Better yet DON"T DO THIS.

My neighbor in Canada charges with the UMC. We can tell he has arrived for the season because an extension cord and the UMC appear draped over his fence adjacent to his parking spot. I wouldn't want to depend on this but apparently it's fine for him.

What you ultimately wind up doing depends on what you think will be the most convenient, how your available home charging space is configured and, of course, how much you want to spend.

With respect to the highly anticipated arrival of the Rivian (not until next year) there will definitely be some of the same sort of uncertainty that I initially experienced with the Tesla. The reporting on the EA network is not, at this point in time, that encouraging. The Rivian equivalent of the UMC will stay aboard the truck with as versatile an adapter set as I can get for it. I will also be carrying a WattZilla Black Mamba (portable 14-50R EVSE).

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Already have a 14-50 garage outlet on a 60 amp breaker circuit, self installed, have added the Rivian charger, and was considering adding a "plug" to the end of the intended "hard wired" end, and just plugging it in. Otherwise, would replace the 14-50 outlet with a junction box, and hardwire/connect it there with twist tie connectors? Since it's unlikely would ever be plugging and unplugging the 14-50 very often, a connection is a connection, and don't see the harm. Any electricians want to weigh in here?
I'm not an electrician but, as do so many here, I have an opinion. I'd wait until I had the Rivian EVSE ("charger") unit in hand before deciding what to do. If you are really lucky the wires going to the 14-50R will be long enough to allow them to reach the terminals in the unit. You ought then to be able to mount the unit over the box the 14-50R is mounted getting a really neat installation and, best of all, provided that the wire is AWG 6, commission the thing for the full 48 A it is capable of. Note that you don't have to deal with the neutral. There is no connection for that.

The EVSE will probably have several knockout points so that you can feed it from top, bottom back or side. For a plug installation take out the knockout (or drill - a step drill works really well here) for an appopriately sized gland, get some SJOOW and a plug and wire it up. But you need to change the breaker to 50A as you have a 50A receptacle and that can only be connected to a 40A or 50A circuit. I'm saying this as the "electrician" which I am not. As the electrical engineer, which I am (or was) I will point out that the proper receptacle for a 60A circuit (assuming that the wire size is sufficient to support) is a NEMA 14-60R. The only difference between the 14-50R and 14-60R is the pin you don't use i.e. the neutral. Going back to electrician mode again: plug in connecting EVSE is limited to 50A. Thus, if you go plug in, you will have to replace the 60A breaker with a 50 A one in order to remain code compliant. The Rivian EVSE will be somehow programmable to match the installed breaker size. If you are able to connect to the wires and they are good for 60A then you can leave in the 60A breaker, "commission" the unit for a 60A circuit and obtain 48A charging - the maximum the Rivians can take from Level 2. If you go to the plug configuration you must go down to a 50A breaker, commission the unit for a 50A circuit and get 40 A charging (9.5 kW as opposed to the maximum 11.52.

They make pretty big wire nuts but I can't see splicing two pieces of AWG 6 with them. For larger wire like this I like the Morris splices
Jttps://www.amazon.com/Morris-Products-Insulated-Splice-Connector/dp/B07SR5WJ5L/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3D60MANVLV00L&dchild=1&keywords=wire+splices+2+to+6&qid=1622383729&sprefix=wire+splices%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-7 (to use the link change the leading J to an h and paste into your browser. If I post it with h the server convers to a media format and the link is lost.

With a junction box and a piece of conduit (non metallic) to the EVSE you should be able to make a pretty neat installation. And, as long as you use AWG6, you will be able to retain the 60A breaker and get the full 11.5 kW,

Note that all these EVSE, consistent with the NEC, except the units you buy configured with a plug, require installation by a licensed electrician particularly with respect to the commissioning as this determines how much current the EVSE will let the vehicle draw. I'll let you ponder what the implications of that are as you may very well have to instruct the electrician as to how to commission it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I have a 32Amp ClipperCreek with a Nema 14-50 plug. Nearly 99% of our driving is long distance, so we do need a level 2 charger to get a full recharge overnight after a long trip. Plus, we do take it with us on long trips and can charge at any RV park with 50Amp outlets, which I have done a number of times due to no chargers along my route, or overnight stays at parks. But, I typically use the small 120V charger at home that came with my Bolt to "trickle charge" if I know I'm not going anywhere for a couple of days. I charge it up to 90%, then reschedule the car to charge up to 100% just before leaving on a big trip. We're getting the Rivian charger because its battery is twice the size of the Bolt and the smaller 32Amp charger might not be able to fully charge the Rivian overnight after a long trip. Plus, I've had my ClipperCreek for 4+ years now, so we're probably due for a new one soon. The price of the Rivian charger is actually really good for what I'm assuming will be a "smart charger". If it is the top of the line WALLBOX brand, that is a really good price!! I hope it is a WALLBOX.

Another thing to keep in mind is it's my understanding that ideally you want to keep your battery charged between 20%-80% as much as possible for increased battery life. I only fully charge my Bolt when I know I'm going to need the full battery for a trip and schedule it to finish 100% just before I leave.

Another note for new EV folks, you don't "fill the tank" every time you stop to charge on a long trip. You just "boost" it enough, with a little extra as a buffer, to get you to the next fast charger. Most, if not all, EV's will start ramping down the charge rate at around 80% when fast charging to protect the battery. So, what I do on long trips is charge up enough to get to my next planned charging stop plus around 40 miles extra to handle any unexpected battery demands (high winds, steep grades, etc.). That worked great for me on my WA-So.CA trip. I've never been stranded due to a drained battery. I think of it as you boost a battery instead of "fill the tank" and don't wait around for that last 80-100% at a much slower charging rate to finish. Even though 300+ sounds like a lot of miles, you learn to think more along to lines of 80% of that, or around 240 miles between chargers. Planning that way will save you a lot of range-anxiety experiences.

Here's an excellent review of the WALLBOX brand charger...I hope they do make Rivian's wall charger, since it looks pretty good.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes, the Pulsar Plus does seem like a good unit. There is one caveat that goes with it, however. There is an exception in the NEC which allows a NEMA 14-50R to be installed on a 40 amp or 50 amp circuit. If installed on a 40 A circuit the maximum allowable charging rate is 32 A. This is why the later generation Tesla UMC with the 14-50R adapter only delivers (or, to be precise, allows the car to take) 32A (earlier versions allowed 40). As you can see from the screen shot below the app allows one to dial in 40 A as the maximum charging rate even though he might be plugged into NEMA 14-50R wired to a 40 A circuit.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it?? IMG_8CA17C0D7D46-1

Thus it becomes the responsibility of the consumer to check the circuit into which he wants to plug the Pulsar. I guess if he plugs it into a 40A circuit he is in violation of NEC.

This all suggest that the Rivian unit may not be made by WallBox as it is capable of 48 A charging and the Pulsar Plus, the only thing Wallbox is selling in the States that I know of, is plug in and thus only capable of 40 A. In choosing the Pulsar I limited myself to less than the maximum the Rivian (or Tesla) could take but decided to go that route as I thought the WallBox capable and reasonably priced. I installed it hard wired as I think that makes for a slightly neater looking set up. Not that plug in units aren't neat too. Here's a pic of a plug-in Tesla HPWC (they no longer offer a plug in version)
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it?? IMG_1110.JPG

Last edited:

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
I’m a little disappointed that Rivian is charging $200 more for the charger if not purchased with the vehicle. I have NEMA 14-50 now that I use for my Tesla 3 and usually get 32 mph charge which has been plenty for overnight and don’t often get low enough to even need more than 2-3 hours of charge to get to 80-90% (never charge to 100 with a Tesla.) Rivian says I will get around 16 charge mph with a 14-50 and I’m curious to see if that will be enough for my regular use. If it’s not, then I can upgrade to the Rivian charger as my wiring is rated for 80a (maybe 100a - it’s been a few years) so just have to change out the 50amp breaker but I may have to look for other charge box options if Rivian’s is going to be $700.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
I’m a little disappointed that Rivian is charging $200 more for the charger if not purchased with the vehicle. I have NEMA 14-50 now that I use for my Tesla 3 and usually get 32 mph charge which has been plenty for overnight and don’t often get low enough to even need more than 2-3 hours of charge to get to 80-90% (never charge to 100 with a Tesla.) Rivian says I will get around 16 charge mph with a 14-50 and I’m curious to see if that will be enough for my regular use. If it’s not, then I can upgrade to the Rivian charger as my wiring is rated for 80a (maybe 100a - it’s been a few years) so just have to change out the 50amp breaker but I may have to look for other charge box options if Rivian’s is going to be $700.
Really? Rivian is not charging you $200 more. They’re giving you a $200 discount. Check out the 48A Wallbox Pulsar charger. MSRP $700. That’s what you’re getting from Rivian for $500.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Well it's definitely not the Pulsar and it's not certain that it is made by WallBox but in terms of what 48 A EVSE generally cost $500 is indeed a discount (exception Tesla).
Sponsored