Sponsored

Rivian Wall Charger--Anyone know who makes it??

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I currently have the Rivian charger added, but I'm thinking more to just use to the portable one until there is an approved V2H option.
Sponsored

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
Really? Rivian is not charging you $200 more. They’re giving you a $200 discount. Check out the 48A Wallbox Pulsar charger. MSRP $700. That’s what you’re getting from Rivian for $500.
I suppose seeing it as a discount is a good way to look at it. Some accessories I would like to wait on and buy later rather than roll in with the vehicle purchase. The hard part for me is that the NEMA14-50 I have now may do the job just fine for my driving habits but if not then I miss out “saving” $200 by buying later.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I currently have the Rivian charger added, but I'm thinking more to just use to the portable one until there is an approved V2H option.
Sky did you experience power problems in TX during that big storm? Is that driving the V2H possibility? I’m a novice with regard to this and make my wife rub sticks together quickly as I finish reading the Sunday paper sports section for kindling. (I toss the Parade section in right away).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sky did you experience power problems in TX during that big storm? Is that driving the V2H possibility?
Yes, lost power during the coldest part & it was pretty rough. We're on a well too, but did have plenty of drinking water & filled a bath tub with water as well as soon as they started talking about possible power problems (thanks hurricane planning from my time in Houston).

I may never need it again, but having a massive battery in the garage makes me want to have it available for backup power if needed.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yes, lost power during the coldest part & it was pretty rough. We're on a well too, but did have plenty of drinking water & filled a bath tub with water as well as soon as they started talking about possible power problems (thanks hurricane planning from my time in Houston).

I may never need it again, but having a massive battery in the garage makes me want to have it available for backup power if needed.
If it's rare and irregular, couldn't you plug things directly into your massive battery? Seems simpler to me than expensive and complicated V2H for the once a decade event.

For those of us who live in the sticks and lose it multiple times a winter... It would be great, and better than the propane generator, so I support exploring it more!

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
If it's rare and irregular, couldn't you plug things directly into your massive battery? Seems simpler to me than expensive and complicated V2H for the once a decade event.
The battery is 385 VDC, To plug into the house you have to have ± 120V AC which means you have to have an inverter (actually 2, one for + and one for - or alternatively a gounding transformer), You also need a bunch of control and safety stuff. A box like the WallBox Quasar contains the inverter and controil stuff as does the new Ford charger for their 150.

What some have done is obtain an inverter from Amazon, an auto parts or marine supplier and hook it to the 12V battery in their cars or trucks. This can be used to run a few small appliances such as a refrigerator or the fan and control system for a gas or oil burning furnace. Tesla has announced that doing this would void the warranty. More popular is a modest size gas or propane or multiple fuel generator. More and more people are installing larger (whole house) generators as with the modern automatic load shedding technology you can cover more house with a smaller generator than you could before. Generator sales are booming as things like the recent history in Texas and California erode confidence in the infrastructure.

V2H certainly sounds appealing at first but many feel that taking fuel from your getaway means to keep your youghurt warm is not such a good strategy in a protracted emergency situation. Others think it is salvation and there is, in some quarters, great enthusiasm for V2G as well as V2H. Ford has, of course, loudly proclaimed the virtues of their V2H solution (not fully ironed out yet, evidently) and one of the Japanese companies has built cars capable of V2G. But Rivian nor Tesla has announced anything along this line. If it become de rigueur they will eventually have to join the club but neither of them has so far. The cars themselves need some changes but they are minor, For V2H all that is required of the car is to have the battery connected to the pistol's DC pins when power is to be taken from it, augmentation to the software/firmware that controls this connection and augmentation to the communications and BMS software to control all this. V2G is much more complicated.

For those of us who live in the sticks and lose it multiple times a winter... It would be great, and better than the propane generator, so I support exploring it more!
Around here we lose it lots in the summer too as powerful thunderstorms seem equally effective at toppling trees and shearing off branches as wet snow.

Last edited:

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
I checked the box to include that Rivian wall charger for $500, but I’m sure wrestling with just having a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and using the portable charger that comes with the vehicle - that setup would be fine for my around-town daily needs. I could then go to a local fast charger the few times a year I might need to top up before a long out-of-town trip. Heck, I could probably get along fine just using a standard 120V outlet… ?
Can you order the Wall Charger to arrive before your Vehicle arrives?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it's rare and irregular, couldn't you plug things directly into your massive battery?
Not my well, or the fan for my heatilator fireplace.

I've looked into a "whole house" generator as well, but that seems like a waste when I'll have plenty of power in my garage.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've looked into a "whole house" generator as well, but that seems like a waste when I'll have plenty of power in my garage.
I just had a whole house genset installed in case "the big one" hits and we're out for weeks. I'll be able to charge my Rivian via the travel charger on the dryer plug!

I have the same issue with my pump house being on an independent power line as it's shared with my neighbor. I almost rented a Ground Hog and tore up my sod to run a line out there, but I settled on converting the pump from hardwired to plug-in so either run an extension cord or set up the old 900watt camping generator out there.

Food for thought!

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Well it's definitely not the Pulsar and it's not certain that it is made by WallBox but in terms of what 48 A EVSE generally cost $500 is indeed a discount (exception Tesla).
Summary - check with your local utility for potentially way better deals on EVSE than anyone, including Rivian, could carge you.

Another point on chargers - a lot of utilities sell at a discounted price or work with L2 'chargers'to give you a lower rate when you charge at night (in return they get data on EV charging and can cut you off in the event of high load demand).

For example in NY - I could get a comparable EVSE for 200 after intstant rebate, and then get like a 30 percent rate discount for charging off of off peak prices if i charge b/w 11 pm and 5 am (which will be more than enough for me 99 pc of time).

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The word "massive" caught my eye. Take a look at the first picture in No. 9. The big box on wheels is a 6 kWh Yeti Li ion battery. It is pretty massive (that's why it's built into a wheeled cart) in terms of its weight but for its size it is also pretty "massive" in terms of how much energy it stores. Your well pump may indeed start at 2 - 3 kW but it probably runs at under 1 kW. The fan for your fireplace probably runs at a couple of hundred watts. The Yeti will handle either of those (but for the well you'd have to step up to 220 V (which is what the transformer on the top of the Yeti in the picture is there for). One of these will easily take you through a short outage (which most are) but the obvious question is "If the power is out for a week, how do I charge it?" The answer is solar but everything is not beer and skittles even with solar the problem being, of course, that it's going to take a long time to charge it fully from solar and you have to have the panels.

There are smaller battery packs as well. I experimented with an ARB fridge last summer and found I was able to run it over the summer on a pair of 100 W solar panels charging a 1 kW Jackery pack. I was also able to charge my Tesla X from this pack but at a pitiably slow rate.

There is no better way to bring power outages to a shrieking halt than to blow a whole bunch of $ on oversized whole house generator. But properly sized one with automatic load shedding is a great comfort and can carry you for as long as the power is out (provided the propane truck can make it to your door). The thing I don't like about V2H is that you are using fuel you may need to get out of Dodge to run the house. Conversely, with the generator, you can charge your escape means (though, curiosly, Tesla admonishes us not to charge our cars from generators which are "privately owned").

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Can you order the Wall Charger to arrive before your Vehicle arrives?
I have asked customer service. At this point in time the answer is they are not available. They are supposed to let me know when they ae available for sale.

They did not say if they become available to purchased early if the price will be 500 or 700.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
It would be nice if they were available early as people are preparing for their deliveries now. Had the Rivian been available I would have installed it instead of the WallBox in order to have a more Rivian themed bay for the truck when it does arrive.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It would be nice if they were available early as people are preparing for their deliveries now. Had the Rivian been available I would have installed it instead of the WallBox in order to have a more Rivian themed bay for the truck when it does arrive.
Ditto... Did the ChargePoint Home Flex hardwired on a 60amp breaker. But I'm still getting the Rivian charger to simplify charging to just the Rivian app, so that should be an easy DIY replacement. Now what to do with the CP...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I left large loops of conductor inside the Wall Box so I could replace it with the Rivian if I want to. I waste so much money I just can't see tossing the WallBox though for the sake of a logo badge.
Sponsored