First Name
Merrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and X
Occupation
Retired
I’m finding that I really have to slam the rear spare tire cover to get it to close, wondering if this is normal and is there anyway to adjust it to close easier.
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’m finding that I really have to slam the rear spare tire cover to get it to close, wondering if this is normal and is there anyway to adjust it to close easier.
No slamming needed. Just lean over it once latches in place.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
Mine’s pretty difficult to close too. Even if slammed, it tends to only latch on the left requiring a whack on the right to get that side to latch. Just changed a tire and it took 3 or 4 goes to get latched.

OP
OP
Merrill

Merrill

First Name
Merrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and X
Occupation
Retired
Mine’s pretty difficult to close too. Even if slammed, it tends to only latch on the left requiring a whack on the right to get that side to latch. Just changed a tire and it took 3 or 4 goes to get latched.
I guess it is a good thing since I hope to never need to open it.

Sponsored

FrictionlessLube

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 WRX, ‘20 Forester
Clubs

Yea I have to slam mine multiple times too with both hands near each latch point to it’s even pressure. A little embarrassing when showing off the truck. Not the biggest issue for me though.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Mine would not latch on the passenger side and I had to slam the driver side to get it to latch. I logged a service ticket and got it fixed. Closes very easy now. I'd recommend logging a ticket. They can adjust (or replace) the latch to fix the issue.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
The only way I can get mine to close is to climb into the bed and kneel over it and press hard quick on both sides. Otherwise I can only get one side or the other to latch. Its pretty terrible so i'll track it as an issue with my guide.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I opened a ticket on this and they scheduled an appointment for about a month out. Its mostly an annoyance but for the price of the car the opening should open and close properly.

They asked me to upload short videos. If I close with hands on either side or in the middle only 1 latch latches properly. I cant then force it down like the delivery guy did above in the thread. Only way I can get it to go is climbing into the bed and slamming it with pressure above both latches.

If its not completely latched on both sides water seems to get in.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Most of the time I need to get in the bed and step hard on it to get it to close all the way. That said, now that I have a spare in there and it's no longer a place to store things, I wont really need to bother opening and closing it outside of tire changes or flats (hopefully not). So not really worried about it.

OP
OP
Merrill

Merrill

First Name
Merrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and X
Occupation
Retired
I opened a ticket on this and they scheduled an appointment for about a month out. Its mostly an annoyance but for the price of the car the opening should open and close properly.

They asked me to upload short videos. If I close with hands on either side or in the middle only 1 latch latches properly. I cant then force it down like the delivery guy did above in the thread. Only way I can get it to go is climbing into the bed and slamming it with pressure above both latches.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Most of the time I need to get in the bed and step hard on it to get it to close all the way. That said, now that I have a spare in there and it's no longer a place to store things, I wont really need to bother opening and closing it outside of tire changes or flats (hopefully not). So not really worried about it.
I probably would have bought a spare and done the same if I could have but none were available. I havent had spares in my Tesla's for 9 years and only 1 flat (9 years ago, first week of ownership of my first tesla 😜)

But since I dont have s spare, its a place I can store stuff and i'd like to use it if possible.

OP
OP
Merrill

Merrill

First Name
Merrill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and X
Occupation
Retired
I have tried everything and eventually it will close but should not be this way you should just push down and it should close, have a service tech coming tomorrow to hopefully fix it.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I have tried everything and eventually it will close but should not be this way you should just push down and it should close, have a service tech coming tomorrow to hopefully fix i.
They made an apt and said if they think it can be done with a visit to me they'll let me know. I'm an hour away (without traffic) so we'll see. Took me 2 hours to get there for delivery day at 10am...
Sponsored