Sponsored

JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!”

So, what do you think? “Nope” or “Dope”?

• Total voters
OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Can someone photoshop my installed black bead photo to Compass Yellow? It seems like a run off between black and Compass Yellow. Zero gray and only one body color (other than CY).
Sponsored

Desiboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Plaid, LR4 ‘11, R1S
Clubs

Will know for sure when I receive it. If welded then no vinyl/rubber insert!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Will know for sure when I receive it. If welded then no vinyl/rubber insert!
Nope. I would ask in the main thread. I’ve seen both reported at different times!

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Can someone photoshop my installed black bead photo to Compass Yellow? It seems like a run off between black and Compass Yellow. Zero gray and only one body color (other than CY).
Someone? Anyone?

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

I think that looks great. Voted black, but grey I think could work. Unsure on yellow myself. But interested to see it

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think that looks great. Voted black, but grey I think could work. Unsure on yellow myself. But interested to see it
Right, that’s why I’ve been trying (unsuccessfully) to shame someone, with photoshop skills, to create a rendering from one of my OP photos…..

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Seems like a bunch of folks forgot to vote on a color…. The data will set you free, so please vote!

hardrock197

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Compass, R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Director, Technology
Something quick
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” CY

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Looks more gold than yellow, but not bad.

Red and blue may work too

Sponsored

hardrock197

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Director, Technology
Here you go
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” CYfull

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Hello again, my fellow “Riviarians”! As mentioned in my review (Tip #2) of subject Running boards …

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...aling-of-4”-hole-procedure.13403/#post-298630

I was contemplating the use of solid EPDM rubber or solid core marine grade vinyl bead-welting for use around the outer edge (between the tread plate and tread tubular frame) of my running boards. Why, you ask? Well, for several reasons….

-- Uniqueness/differentiation; I’m going with either Compass Yellow, Body color, or Black – for a more OEM-like, finished aesthetic. SOMEONE PLEASE Photoshop
and REPOST my pictures to show the bead in all body colors, including Compass Yellow!!!!

-- Personal preference, but I prefer there not being a raised sharp tread plate edge for the following reasons (YOMV, of course) {Where; “O” = Opinion}
* Smaller children injuring themselves (cuts/bruising when crawling up onto the boards and into the truck) - Yeah, I have a scar on my knee from a similar
young childhood mishap…
*Powder coat paint scraping off that raised sharp edge with use (especially with dirty/sandy sneakers/boots or other footwear) over time – rust forming, etc.

-- Tread Plate cushioning – Again, personal preference, but I prefer a no “metal-on-metal” contact, when it comes to mechanically fastened plates (vs. welded). This will reduce the likelihood of paint wear-through over time, noise, etc... Also, with summer heat / winter cold, the plates and tubing will expand and contract at different rates - and in different directions. And no, I do not have any concerns with this bead welting/gasket trapping water or grime, any more than the “as designed and delivered” product. Again, YOMV.

This is really easy to install; just loosen the tread plate hardware, insert and apply pressure to the welding as you slowly tighten the tread plate hardware – work from one end to the other to ensure a proper fit and seal!

I tried two sizes; 3/16” bead and 1/8” bead and felt the 3/16” diameter bead to be best as its bead height is “slightly higher” than the top of the tread plate, thereby protecting that edge (and small children’s knees/shins)!

So, what do you think? “Nope” or “Dope”?

Black,
Compass Yellow to match other exterior trim highlights, or something close to body color? Please vote in thread poll!

Links to bead-welting like products that I used / tried / plan to try…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303642691725?var=602883985231

https://www.elitegaragefloors.com/finishline-bead-end-rubber-seal-4-wide-by-the-foot/

https://www.elitegaragefloors.com/bead-end-vinyl-weather-seal-3-by-the-foot/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221946354279?hash=item33ad089a67&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8LyYLu4ChBxPTeKxUSHK5O8TGUzgYo3BSM%2BMvO1r9QZV0jBrbVMUozgb4ShXg1tHX8rxknfiv89qQsBBjzj7LqtSgsmAjHxAg3ViYS%2FqVT7%2Fj73LltO22pBOej9%2B8jUKBDDI0Pgx0HEQHIMp%2BmhSsyH0A7HGnx7ISH3IuOZL2RhP19sOZyh%2Fb0ZqVyS5cz5SXYQAcYwL7oZyIlo%2Ba1nGaQkn%2BpDYUW0E5%2FiAkmhDYEBOhsCOpPxUYvA%2BL8OgPHaEqawyOkDyHTi656Wo1ie68W1%2F1GNJqhkJGaG25De0CFJhQGowfR3VQR6ewUKUpq541w%3D%3D|ampid:pL_CLK

Yes, what I first ordered and tried was garage door weather-stripping! Why? Because I save money by splitting it in two, and using both sides as welting, of course! Also, because I was able to get this in two days for my experimentation. For the final build, should I go with Compass Yellow or Body Color highlights, I will go with color coordinated single bead extrusion (Vinyl or EPDM rubber, depending). At 3/16”, there are MANY colors available from several sources, BTW. Not so for the 1/8” as I’ve found that only in black or gray.

“As always… Stay Angry about Running Boards (Space)!” – The Angry Astronaut (YT Channel). https://www.youtube.com/@TheAngryAstronaut

More seriously, any and all questions are welcome!

1678915299938.png

IMG_6618.jpeg

IMG_6690.jpeg

IMG_6691.jpeg

IMG_6692.jpeg

@EV Sportline

John
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” 1678936399597

OP
OP
jebinc

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@kizamybute' Thoughts on this? See OP for reasons, and it’s not just for looks!

hardrock197

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Director, Technology
Here it is with the caliper color
Rivian R1T R1S JEBINC’s “Welting Mod,” for the EV Sportline / 1EV Running Boards – “Oh Yeah!” CYcal
Sponsored