Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Anyone else notice what it appears they’ve done to the frunk ? The original

Anyone else notice what it appears they’ve done with the frunk? The original Nov. 2018 prototype had a space that seemed almost to take up the whole compartment, appeared to lined in fabric, with tie-down hooks and so forth, and I believe lights inside. Now it looks like they’ve switched to a plastic liner that’s noticeably smaller, and seems more like the Mach E. Ugh. In fact, in one of the Chicago Tribune factory photos you can see a pile of these on the ground - looking like small koi pond liners. I hope I’m wrong but ...
I believe Bajadahl covered this in one of the posts above. It was a spacer accessory so smaller items could be loaded/ unloaded easier. I don't believe the frunk has substantially changed.
Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Bajadahl mentioned there’s a “false floor” that makes It easier to access smaller/fewer items in the trunk if you’d like to use it. I had previously only ever seen the frunk fully accessible like this:
5F4A1AAD-38AA-4594-9895-C1CA10BCAC84.jpeg
Nice pic. My point is I just hope they don’t compromise the space too much.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Same! The size of the frunk they had been showing off prior to this was a huge bonus to the total vehicle storage capacity.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
A removable false floor is an acknowledgement that short people can't easily reach things at the bottom of that cavernous frunk. Depending on what they end up with, it might prove a nice way to organize and hide away infrequently accessed things like the charge cable which could be stowed under the false floor while luggage, shopping bags, etc could go on top. If you needed room for something bigger, just remove the false floor to expose the full compartment. Flexibility is good.

Sponsored

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
I'm sure you can just take the floor out if you prefer without.
Yep, that’s what I was referring to prior to that. Best of both worlds presumably.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I went back through all my photos to see if I had any better angles... but unfortunately I don't... However, I didn't think the frunk was smaller at all. Comparing to the picture of the older show models there are definitely differences. There is a much more pronounced lip covered in a gasket material but the hole itself seems to me to be the same size. I think this is about water drainage that happens to get under the hood. As far as the material used for the tub area itself I didn't take note of it... I was fixated on locating the power port which is on a little ledge facing up towards the top of the tub and behind the drivers side headlight (if that makes sense). The tub itself was full of their gear - charging cables and some bags so I could not see all the hooks or other features that are of interest. Also notice the hood latch is now front and center on the current model as opposed to the show vehicle that had two outboard latches for the hood. If I had to guess the false floor made the tub 15 to 18 inches deep. Obviously I didn't get to look under the false floor but I have no reason to believe they made the tub more shallow AND put in a false floor. (which they made the point to show me)

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
oh and one final note about the false floor - I don't actually know if they are going to offer that with the vehicle at all or not... If so will it be included or an optional add on. The guys pointed it out to me as if to say the regular frunk is much deeper not to point it out as a feature.

I personally think it's an opportunity for them (best of both worlds) lot's of storage and a way for shorter folks to use the frunk without having to get a ladder.... I feel like they must know this now since they took the time to put the false floor in this one.

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
oh and one final note about the false floor - I don't actually know if they are going to offer that with the vehicle at all or not... If so will it be included or an optional add on. The guys pointed it out to me as if to say the regular frunk is much deeper not to point it out as a feature.

I personally think it's an opportunity for them (best of both worlds) lot's of storage and a way for shorter folks to use the frunk without having to get a ladder.... I feel like they must know this now since they took the time to put the false floor in this one.
Thanks so much for the writeup, photos and videos you've shared!

Did you happen to notice what the finish was on the inside of the gear tunnel door? At some point that was going to have the Chiliwich but recently it's just been plastic.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Did you happen to notice what the finish was on the inside of the gear tunnel door? At some point that was going to have the Chiliwich but recently it's just been plastic.
In this one it was plastic... someone else mentioned maybe they aren’t using all the “best material” for these test vehicles... and another reason they don’t want a bunch of close up pictures maybe..... or maybe it’s just gonna be plastic....

Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 77C57828-C5D5-492A-AC20-D0A12EE8BEC8

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
The Frunk dimensions are prominently posted on the website. I'd be very surprised (though it's not impossible) that they make any drastic changes to what they've published this close to production.

Our front trunk measures 25.4 in by 54.8 in with a depth of 22.7 in. Large suitcases, coolers and backpacks are no problem.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Thanks so much for the writeup, photos and videos you've shared!

It it’s intended as a step to access the truck bed, plastic probably is t the best option as will tend to get very slippery. If that’s how it ships, one of my first mods will be adding some type of rubberized material on top of it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It it’s intended as a step to access the truck bed, plastic probably is t the best option as will tend to get very slippery. If that’s how it ships, one of my first mods will be adding some type of rubberized material on top of it.
Call me crazy but I don't think we can tell the durometer of the material from these photos. There is at least some obvious pattern/texture in the surface.

canoemonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery Sport
Occupation
Nature-Based Solutions Project Developer
If I'm not mistaken the configurator has new updated interior photos, ocean coast seats below are different from what we have seen of the seats for a long time (in black below). If the configurator ones are an update I like it!
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1619126432337
Rivian R1T R1S Real Rivian Photos & Videos 1619126557788

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

If I'm not mistaken the configurator has new updated interior photos, ocean coast seats below are different from what we have seen of the seats for a long time (in black below). If the configurator ones are an update I like it!
1619126432337.png
1619126557788.png
Isnt that the difference in adventure vs explore? Not anything new afaik.
Sponsored