dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
100% this.
I am still amazed by people who have an R1T (perhaps having come from ICE trucks) and kind of moan about the smaller bed, lack of towing capability, range etc. The Rivian is simply NOT a works truck and isn't trying to be one. If you're hauling stuff or work on a ranch DO NOT BUY A RIVIAN.
If, however, you're a moderately wealthy 'adventure seeker' who wants to look good in something new, different & cool (and you've probably owned Range Rovers, Volvo XC90's, Audis/BMWs in the past) and don't want to drive something the size of an Abrams Tank, then the R1T is more you.
I'm even betting that 80%+ of R1Ts won't ever go off road.
Spot on. I drove and '88 FJ60 for 20 years so the R1S is a dream come true for me...if someone is migrating from a Cayenne they'd probably think differently. These aren't necessarily mass market vehicles but they are amazing vehicles

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
More expensive than the Rivian, but at this point, I have more faith in Ford as a company....... Ordered today expected delivery in Spring 23.... Realistically probably summer of 23.... I originally like the Ford better anyway and talked myself into the Rivian..... I have now come full circle.....
I had my R1T and F150 Lightning arrive within a week of each other. I went with the R1T because it fit in my garage better. Honestly both are great trucks. I honestly wouldn't have been disappointed no matter which way it went.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
More expensive than the Rivian, but at this point, I have more faith in Ford as a company....... Ordered today expected delivery in Spring 23.... Realistically probably summer of 23.... I originally like the Ford better anyway and talked myself into the Rivian..... I have now come full circle.....
Its a great truck and you’ll be happy with it, love mine!

Ford has been named the most-recalled auto manufacturer in 2022. I’m pretty sure Ford is trying to keep that title in 2023!
Fun fact, my R1T and Lightning were delivered to me within 3 weeks of each other, both have had 1 recall. Rivian for the suspension bolt, Ford for a wiper motor.

My Ford has otherwise not had any service. My Rivian on the other hand..it’s been an adventure.

It’s been serviced for enough tickets that I have the mobile service techs - all of them in my area - in my contacts and I know them by name, where they live, etc. I’m pretty sure they’ll be over for thanksgiving, just not sure if it’ll be as a guest or to service the R1T or maybe both.

Point is, the number of recalls aren’t always indicative of reliability.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
100% this.
I am still amazed by people who have an R1T (perhaps having come from ICE trucks) and kind of moan about the smaller bed, lack of towing capability, range etc. The Rivian is simply NOT a works truck and isn't trying to be one. If you're hauling stuff or work on a ranch DO NOT BUY A RIVIAN.
If, however, you're a moderately wealthy 'adventure seeker' who wants to look good in something new, different & cool (and you've probably owned Range Rovers, Volvo XC90's, Audis/BMWs in the past) and don't want to drive something the size of an Abrams Tank, then the R1T is more you.
I'm even betting that 80%+ of R1Ts won't ever go off road.
I have to respectfully disagree. The R1T makes a darn fine work truck depending on the work you do. It certainly feels more fragile and I feel worse about using it as one but it is capable.

The gear tunnel is perfect for tool bags. I throw my ramps, winches, come alongs in there. The tie downs in the bed, are much easier to use. The bed length isn’t a problem and hasn’t been a factor in taking the Lightning vs the R1T. The power options..suck. But they’re good enough to keep my M18s charged. It’s also been used to recharge car batteries, and the compressor has been handy to fill up trailer tires.

That said, my preferences are to use the R1T as my work truck or my truck or choice when it’s just me. But I prefer the Lightning as my family vehicle. Unexpected but that’s how it is shaking out.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have to respectfully disagree. The R1T makes a darn fine work truck depending on the work you do. It certainly feels more fragile and I feel worse about using it as one but it is capable.

The gear tunnel is perfect for tool bags. I throw my ramps, winches, come alongs in there. The tie downs in the bed, are much easier to use. The bed length isn’t a problem and hasn’t been a factor in taking the Lightning vs the R1T. The power options..suck. But they’re good enough to keep my M18s charged. It’s also been used to recharge car batteries, and the compressor has been handy to fill up trailer tires.

That said, my preferences are to use the R1T as my work truck or my truck or choice when it’s just me. But I prefer the Lightning as my family vehicle. Unexpected but that’s how it is shaking out.
A 4 foot square pallet fits just fine in the bed and the tailgate can close. Only potential issue is how long the tailgate is when folded down if your forks are really short. 7 feet when the gate is down means 8 ft sheet goods travel fine. Air suspension means the truck levels the load out instead of pointing your headlights at the sky. Totally serviceable as a work truck, some people are just too afraid of scratching something so nice.

OP
OP

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
You said you ordered today, then replied that you ordered in May '21. What a waste of clicks and reading. Back to my normally scheduled post reading.
I reserved in May of 21... I ordered yesterday as I said..... You are fun to be around....

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I reserved in May of 21... I ordered yesterday as I said..... You are fun to be around....
No mention of it until the second page of the thread. Makes it seem like you just walked into a dealer and plunked down an order for delivery in a couple months. Confusing since there hasn't been a disconnect between reserving and ordering for the Rivian crowd.

Sponsored

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I had both the Lighting and the Rivian, as both were delivered in the same week in November. I kept the Rivian, sold the Lighting to my brother. At the end of the day, it's still a ford.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@jphillips97, Do you have pre- price hike locked in on the Rivian? If so IMO it is an astounding value. There are obviously personal preferences that are totally valid for choosing a Lightning vs. an R1T however direct comparison of build quality and overall value is hands down the Rivian for me. I took delivery of both and had My Dad take over the Lightning, he is 70 (runs around like he's 40) and been a "truck guy" his whole life, He wishes he had the Rivian.

OP
OP

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
@jphillips97, Do you have pre- price hike locked in on the Rivian? If so IMO it is an astounding value. There are obviously personal preferences that are totally valid for choosing a Lightning vs. an R1T however direct comparison of build quality and overall value is hands down the Rivian for me. I took delivery of both and had My Dad take over the Lightning, he is 70 (runs around like he's 40) and been a "truck guy" his whole life, He wishes he had the Rivian.
i do have pre price hike but that only matters if Rivian has a plan to actually deliver me a vehicle. I am holding the reservation to keep options open. I do not think they will delivery in my area for years based on service center plans.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
No mention of it until the second page of the thread. Makes it seem like you just walked into a dealer and plunked down an order for delivery in a couple months. Confusing since there hasn't been a disconnect between reserving and ordering for the Rivian crowd.
Because we all assume our reservations were orders hence the March 2022 fiasco.

Lightning reservation holders are VERY aware of what a reservation vs an order is. Ford makes that clear the different stages of the process. I wouldn’t read that as mal intent.

That said with some of the feature deletes, I’ve seen Lightning on lots and people abandoning orders. There’s a higher chance of getting a Lightning on demand vs a Rivian on Demand right now.
Sponsored