Not open for further replies.

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
I agree with Commodore, all people want is the plan. We are willing to be patient but no information plus no plan is beyond annoying.
I think once they announced a plan, then people would just start complaining about it. "It's not soon enough", "it's only near Normal", etc. I think they had a real plan to allow test drives before Covid hit and that messed that up. But now they are probably working 24/7 to meet their announced deadline of shipping production in June and that's priority #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6.
Covid is a great excuse to not have to worry about that until July, so why not use it? I expect the number of people that will cancel due to lack of a test drive is minimal (most will just delay if it's only a month or so) and there are probably many LE res holders that will take delivery sight untested. Or at least enough to use up all of June's production.
I fully expect that once they have met the very public June shipment milestone and have enough of an inventory built up that they can ship them around the country for test drives & roadshows, they will. But it will be slow I expect. They don't have anything equivalent to Tesla's stores they had in the mall, so they will have to plan an event in a city and invite people to schedule a test drive in advance. They probably won't be shipping dozens of cars to any one place at one time, so with showing off the vehicle to non-reservation holders (let's just call them "the unwashed masses" ? ) & the press, they won't get too many test drives in per day.
Extending my guess, I would think they would start with fairly large cities (LA, NYC, Chicago, Denver (I hope, I hope!) and so on) and invite the earliest reservation holders to schedule test drives. But how angry will early res holders be if their city is passed over? Or if they aren't invited to test drive because they are deemed too far away, but they actually would be willing to drive a few hours to do the test drive? It's a bit of a logistical nightmare IMHO and I think they are delaying announcing anything as long as possible. And Covid is a great excuse.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
And Covid is a great excuse.
I have a term for this that I use with my team at work. It’s called “legitimate excuses”. They are always there, and tempting to use, but I have zero tolerance for it. We have an end goal in mind and WE WILL succeed despite any and all “legitimate excuses”. I hope Rivian implements a similar mindset.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I don't think I need a test drive so much as I would like to sit in the vehicle and see how the car seats fit for my kids. We are moving from an expedition max, so we need to be comfortable with the more limited space.
Like I've mentioned elsewhere, not only does my butt get to vote, it actually has veto power. I can hear it now, "If it doesn't fit, you must not commit!"

Well, I guess I know who wears the pants around here....

A test drive would be desirable, but a proper "fitting" is a must.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
And Covid is a great excuse.
I am personally tired of this excuse. That cannot be the excuse for not having test drives yet. If Covid is an excuse, then how will they even be able to deliver a vehicle to anyone in June? The delivery process will require human interaction, no different than what is needed for a test drive. Plenty of people are doing test drives and purchasing other vehicles, all during Covid. Part of running a company is figuring out the logistics, it should already be figured out for June deliveries.

Glad I am not an LE holder.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I am personally tired of this excuse. That cannot be the excuse for not having test drives yet. If Covid is an excuse, then how will they even be able to deliver a vehicle to anyone in June? The delivery process will require human interaction, no different than what is needed for a test drive. Plenty of people are doing test drives and purchasing other vehicles, all during Covid. Part of running a company is figuring out the logistics, it should already be figured out for June deliveries.

Glad I am not an LE holder.
You could theoretically do contactless deliveries. Tow the vehicles to the delivery address, unload. Welcome packet locked in vehicle. New owner is sent email with link to Rivian App. Install app on phone, and your Rivian is pre-loaded in the app. You can use the app to unlock the truck, which will play welcome fanfare and display appropriate celebratory graphics. Nicely wrapped box on seat or in center console includes key fobs and other “goodies”. center touch screen can play walkthrough videos and offer next-steps.

That’s all just a thought exercise... But it’s perfectly do-able.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
You could theoretically do contactless deliveries. Tow the vehicles to the delivery address, unload. Welcome packet locked in vehicle. New owner is sent email with link to Rivian App. Install app on phone, and your Rivian is pre-loaded in the app. You can use the app to unlock the truck, which will play welcome fanfare and display appropriate celebratory graphics. Nicely wrapped box on seat or in center console includes key fobs and other “goodies”. center touch screen can play walkthrough videos and offer next-steps.

That’s all just a thought exercise... But it’s perfectly do-able.
You still have to sign papers and turn over money. All of this is not necessary, if it were this bad I could not go to the store and buy groceries. Like I said, plenty of people are going to dealerships, doing test drives and purchasing cars. I have season tickets to hockey and have only missed two games so far this year. Played golf all during the past year. I also have my vaccination, not worried about Covid. Even before I got the vaccine, I still interacted with other people, I will not live like a hermit.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You still have to sign papers and turn over money. All of this is not necessary, if it were this bad I could not go to the store and buy groceries. Like I said, plenty of people are going to dealerships, doing test drives and purchasing cars. I have season tickets to hockey and have only missed two games so far this year. Played golf all during the past year. I also have my vaccination, not worried about Covid. Even before I got the vaccine, I still interacted with other people, I will not live like a hermit.
You're describing personal choices. Not everyone shares your lack of concern.

Paperwork can be signed electronically.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
There is risk in every part of our daily lives. Our fairly liberal local news had a story last night that herd immunity is projected here locally in Central TX as early as May.

I know there is potential for severe cases & death, especially in certain populations, but I personally know well over 10 people at this point that had COVID & have talked to each of them about it. It has been a total non-issue for any of them, and most cases in general are far less severe than the flu. The worst of which was a high risk close friend (overweight), and his worst symptom is loss of taste & smell that still hasn't come back almost 2 months later.

I think it is far over sensationalized by the media. Imagine if they applied a similar focus to the flu & flu deaths. Decide your own risk tolerance, get the vaccine or don't, and move on with life as you personally see fit.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
There is risk in every part of our daily lives. Our fairly liberal local news had a story last night that herd immunity is projected here locally in Central TX as early as May.

I know there is potential for severe cases & death, especially in certain populations, but I personally know well over 10 people at this point that had COVID & have talked to each of them about it. It has been a total non-issue for any of them, and most cases in general are far less severe than the flu. The worst of which was a high risk close friend (overweight), and his worst symptom is loss of taste & smell that still hasn't come back almost 2 months later.

I think it is far over sensationalized by the media. Imagine if they applied a similar focus to the flu & flu deaths. Decide your own risk tolerance, get the vaccine or don't, and move on with life as you personally see fit.
Do you think the 550,000 deaths are over sensationalized or the hundreds of thousands of people who have lingering issues more serious than loss of taste?

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I think it is far over sensationalized by the media. Imagine if they applied a similar focus to the flu & flu deaths.
I'll just leave this here for Skyote's benefit. Science and Facts, without media bias. Covid is ~10x deadlier than the Flu, for those over age 35.

Rivian R1T R1S Test Drive 2021 1617204721645

Oof. This thread has taken a turn.

How 'bout them Rivians?

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Whatever you personal beliefs are about COVID, and whether your friends all had mild cases or you lost a parent or other loved one, Rivian is a corporation and held to a different standard. They have to comply with local regulations as well as answer to their insurance carriers and legal team.

The implication that they are withholding test drives intentionally as part of some greater conspiracy is bonkers.

I fully believe they very much want to provide them in a safe and orderly fashion and that will come to pass. If current trends continue, we are heading for more lockdowns like many other parts of the world.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Skyote,
Well stated. If we applied the same risk assessment and control measures to every hazard in our lives we would be in self imposed imprisonment, certainly not driving ultra high performance adventure vehicles.
Anecdotally I tested positive for covid for 7+ weeks last summer with zero symptoms throughout. I am getting vaccinated tomorrow. This pandemic, like the Kardashian's, will go away as soon as everyone quits talking about it and not a day sooner.
I hope to safely meet up with everyone at Rivian launch events "very soon".

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Paperwork can be signed electronically.
You are correct it is my personal choice. I will not sign a sales agreement (not even electronically) until I can see the vehicle in person and drive it. I also want to see all the color options in person as well.

FYI, I lost my father to Covid last summer. But I have lost many more loved ones than that, including my mother, to cancer.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Oof. This thread has taken a turn.

How 'bout them Rivians?
Agreed, sorry I contributed to the derailment.

If current trends continue, we are heading for more lockdowns like many other parts of the world.
I agree with your entire post, except this last sentence. I realize it's probably different in many localities, but TX has had a continued downtrend despite opening up fully & receiving a lot of criticism for it...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.